What tree to grow to use trimmings in any animal enclosure (especially T's and fish)

Devil Dog 666

Arachnopeon
So my question is what tree or trees can i buy seeds for off of maybe Amazon

that i can easily grow and in a few years plaint outside and while doing trimming I'd like to use the sticks and twigs and leafs (eventually branches ) in my T enclosures and my fish tanks 🤔

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
If you find it, Dimocarpus Longan, preferably sub Lamyai. Non toxic, insects love the flowers. Grows FAST yet is a very hard wood, extremely hardy, has edible fruit. Bonus, almost iimpossible to kill. Cut it back to the roots it grows right back. Also makes outstanding charcoal. It's a small tree, < 30 ft, but even the tiniest branches are tough and very hard to break. Grows in any soil and from full sunlight to deep shade. Also makes excellent firewood that gives off a fruity odor in the smoke. As firewood it's up around the top of the list of BTUs per pound https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longan

Got one in our yard that never sees sunlight, the soil essentially mingy sand and silt. I've cut it back to the roots 3 times. It's approaching 15 feet tall once more. Only down side is in the tropics the red leaf weaver ants love to make their homes in it.

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
I'm recalling the magnolia where I grew up. 70 feet tall and 50 across. Just perfect for a terrarium.

rock

Arachnoknight
I'm recalling the magnolia where I grew up. 70 feet tall and 50 across. Just perfect for a terrarium.
There are lots of magnolias, some are huge some are not. All of them provide thick, leathery leaves that are great for terrarium use. You could probably fit a teddy bear magnolia in a reticulated pythons enclosure if you really tried 🙂

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Is Pear Wood any good? I have a pear tree in my bk garden I need to cut it bk a bit n was wondering if the trimmings would be any good for my t vivs.
Sorry for hijacking the thread but didn't want to start another when this one's already up.

The Snark

Old Timer
Is Pear Wood any good?
Make certain it is common European pear, pyrus communis and not the very common Asian varietal Pyrus calleryana aka Bradford pear which are loaded in glycosides. The Asian pear has been imported world wide for years because of it's thick abundant flowering.
Pyrus calleryana can be identified by it's elongated heart shaped leaves. The common pears have slightly elongated rounded leaves without the V. This is only a rough way to tell since there are dozens of pear varietals.

Last edited: