What to get???

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Hey All,

Question for you all.

I have an empty arachnohome and space on my desk at work for it. I was thinking about putting a couple of scorps in there. Kind of a little mini desktop setup. The arachnohome measures about 9 x 4.5 inches and is about 4 -5 inches deep. What commonly available (re: cheap) species is small and communal enough that I might be able to get away with having 2 or 3 in there? Also, can't have high heat requirements, it sometimes get's cool in my office. I do however have a dome lamp or two that I can point it's way if there's no other way to go......

Scott

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd go with Centruroides of one species or other. Most are communal. I keep C. gracilis in groups and they do great, although at 4" they might be a little big, but 2 should be fine. There's annother thread about Skinhead Daves' C. exilicauda group (they're a bit smaller, if hotter!). They don't need a deep substrate, but a few nice pieces of cork would be good.

Wade

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I was actually looking for something a little smaller than those. Was trolling the invert sites and came across Vaejovis spinigerus. Anyone have any knowledge on this species. Sounds like they would be perfect if they can be kept communaly. Anyone know?

Scott

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Scott,

Try Vaejovis spinigerus...Darrin usually has them for sale for $10 and you should be able to keep 3-4 in the container you described. They are about 1-2 inches long and look like little fat tails but are basiclly harmless. I the common name is Lined Devil scorpion. They are usually pretty active little scorps. But remember small scorps don't live as long 2-4 years max. These scorps like a desert setup and hides.

http://www.goldenphoenixexotica.com/order.html

John
];')

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
V. spinigerus are extremely hardy. I've got a few I've collected, but I've never tried them communally. Maybe I should.

V. carolinianus is annother, even smaller, relative. Might be neat to.

Wade

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Okay. So really I'm just contributing to this thread because I feel obliged to, even though John and Wade have clearly dealt with the topic and I know you have made up your mind. ;)

Cheers,
Dave

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Would anyone care to give me an example of how their desert setups are setup? :)

Scott

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've kept Vaejovis in 16 oz deli cups on a bed of sand and coconut coir mix, kept dry. I just moisten one spot once a week for water. If you wanna get all fancy :D you can partially bury pieces of cork bark, etc in there for them to burrow under. If you wet the substrate and then allow it to dry before introducing the scorpions, it'll stick together somewhat and be better for burrowing.

Wade

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Check out some of the pics of my enclosures on this forum...I have 3 desert setups I have used in it. Peat seedling cups also work well for hides...I cut out or leave the bottoms and partially bury them in the substrate...I also use small clay flowerpots which I dremel out the bottoms or not. I mist most of the setups lightly once a month depending on the particular scorp I have. I ususlly have a water dish which I add water once a week allowing it to dry out in between. This is mor for the crickets as they get most of thier water from them.

john
];')

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
As with John, you can see my enclosures in this forum. I'm not entirely happy with my sand mix as it stands now, so you may want to try someone else's recipe. My favourite "natural looking" hide is a flat rock of some sort which has to be supported so that it won't collapse due to scrape construction. I use inverted film canisters inverted and glued on for my large rocks in my C.exilicauda enclosure. I use a very small water dish which I refill every week when I feed. Alternately, I have previously constructed a very small version of a chick waterer that I use with my O.rugiceps. I have never gotten around to making more for my other scorps, though.

Cheers,
Dave

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Scorpions at work

Scott!
I am VERY envious! I can just see Hasting's clear out in record time, if I brought any of my t's, or my 4.5 foot python to work...:D
Gillian

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's the great thing about working at a nature center! My "office collection" includes 12 spiders, a couple scorps, many beetles, velvet ants, water scorpions...

Wade

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
I work in a govt building so it would prob be counted as a weapon if I had some scorps on my desk.

John
];')

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Well, I went ahead and did it. 2 Vaejovis spinigerus (m/f) are going to be on their way to me on monday. Had to go with Kelly on the ordering though. It's hard to pass up a freebie. :D Now, onto the freebie. Kelly was nice enough to throw in Smeringus mesaensis. So as of Tuesday, my scorpion total should be up to 5. Gimme those care tips again people. Especially for my freebie! :)

Scott

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Scott,

S.mesaensis should be that same as with the V.spinigerus. Another simple desert scorp ...though it is not reported to be communal. Since you are getting one it should not be a problem. The max size for the mesaensis is slightly smaller than a H. arizonensis...or about 3.5 inches max...prob will be a bit smaller and have a general yellowish-tan color like a H. arizonensis pallidus would have...a bit more toward the green though.

John.
];')

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Scott,

S.mesaensis must be kept individualy, but in the same room as many other scorpions. This, and its habit of eating small children, will make it hard for you to keep succesfuly. I suggest you send it to me, as I can give it the love and devotion (and regular feedings of children to which I'm not emotionaly bound) that it needs. ;)

Seriously, though, there's nothing much I can add to John's advice. Scorpions are incredibly easy to care for once you've covered the basics.

Cheers,
Dave