What to get over 8 in

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, as you may know I lost my blondi during her molt lastnight and I normally wouldn't be thinking of getting another T so soon but I was working on a deal with my female GBB w/ Dean from NW and I figure I should take advantage of the heavy amount of credit I will be getting for my trade. I want something that gets over 8 inches so I can put my now empty 20 gal to good use. I will have alot of goodies to go with the spider such as new thermostat, decor and a few other trinkets. I really need some help on what to get. I was thinking of maybe another blondi, king baboon, hatian brown or maybe a brazilian salmon? I really dont know so any suggestions are greatlly appriciated. Thanks, Trey

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P.cancerides is a beautiful spider and very voracious. not unlike the blondi. though the P.cacerides coloration is spectacular compared to the T.blondi. C.crawshayi are great but will take way too long to mature :D L.parahybana is also a great choice. personally I would get another T.blondi or a P.cancerides.. if you want something attractive get the P.cancerides

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'll add that the parahybana will eat a lot and get big fast. It's a decent one to stay out in the open as a display species too.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Agreed, however, my P. cancerides is a teddy bear. A pretty one though. Well lets see, big, huh? A. genic, gets big, beautiful spider, L. parahybana, gets big, not quite as showy looking, how about a Singapore blue? They get big and talk about pretty!!! I'm picking up mine this weekend!!!! :D If you want to spend more money you could go with a T. aphosis (don't think I spelled that right) they are supposed to be bigger than blondis. I don't have any experience but C. crawshayi is supposed to get big, and some of the pokies can get to 9 inches or so. You do have a lot of choices. Let us know what you decide on.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Add the Pamphobeteus genus into that mix, they can be more pricey but they have the combo of amazing color and size and you care for them just like your blondi, sorry about your blondi btw..:(

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah..... I heard that the parahybana would be a good choice due to them only being captive bred and them staying out in the open. The baboon's are awesome but they are burrowers and I want to be able to see it. Keep em commin

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks, I really thought I had gotten her through this one.

darkness_falls8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Definately a L. Parahybana. They're hardy, excellent display spiders! mine usually sits out all day in plain sight. she also loves to move dirt around in the cage to the way she likes it. They also grow really fast. I bought mine about 2 months ago at 5-6" she's now around 7" I love my L.para... I wouldn't trade her for P.Metallica.:razz:

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If the OP is going with a L parahybana he might as well get another T since he can get one free from most dealers, they are prolific! :D

Last edited:

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just wanted to input that 20 gallons is overkill for any tarantula.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
HAPLOPELMA SCHMIDTI!!! :D :clap: :eek:
Awesome spider! Agreed!

One not to be taken lightly and always respected.

Truly beautiful but beware they teleport and are well-versed in Kung Fu.

I just wanted to input that 20 gallons is overkill for any tarantula.
Even 15 gallons is stretching it and 10 gallons is just about perfectly right.