What to expect from an African centipede?

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
So it's a ethmostigmus trigonopodus, still very young but already capable of killing mealworms. Temperament wise, it's gotta be the least aggressive pede that I'm aware of. I just dunno much about it and couldn't find much online, how fast it grows? Humidity requirements? Max adult size? Life expectancy?

Oh, it's also my first centipede

Scoly

Arachnobaron
This species is not the fastest grower, should get to 10-15 cm in about 2 years I think. Probably good life expectancy (several years, more?) They like it half-dry, and like to burrow.

Seems like you're keeping it right so far. Next enclosure should have a hide and more soil.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
This species is not the fastest grower, should get to 10-15 cm in about 2 years I think. Probably good life expectancy (several years, more?) They like it half-dry, and like to burrow.

Seems like you're keeping it right so far. Next enclosure should have a hide and more soil.
Thanks for replying! Can you confirm it's a E trignopodus? Cause it kinda looks like a S polymorpha to me. I'm not an expert on centipedes but I do know young specimens get confused all the time

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Thanks for replying! Can you confirm it's a E trignopodus? Cause it kinda looks like a S polymorpha to me. I'm not an expert on centipedes but I do know young specimens get confused all the time
Hmm, it doesn't look like S. polymorpha to me. The terminal segment and legs look different and I haven't seen that coloration in S. polymorpha before. Then again I could be totally wrong. I mainly keep S. subspinipes and S. moristans.

BTW your centipedes looks kinda chubby, cute XD.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I can make out the enlarged first spiracle pair (those pits on the pede's sides) that characteristics the genus Ethmostigmus. Plus, the cephalic plate doesn't overlap the first tergite like it does in genus Scolopendra.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Thanks a bunch guys!! Really hoping it ends up being one of those African pedes with weird coloration lol