What to do? I made the enclosure too wet.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You are very close to have a dislike hahahaha 😂😂😂😂

Get some topsoil and clay based substrate, mix it and she would love it. You can find them in any garden center
There's always exceptions somewhere. I thought of you when I wrote this, as well as the owner here of T. seladonia.

AwesomeA

Arachnopeon
Get a bag of Westland topsoil (it's £3 a bag), I've used the stuff for years without issue
Made an new smaller enclosure and gave the option to move but now my T is comfortable in the old enclosure so panic for no reason. Have added a dry soil option into the enclosure. Thank you everyone.

Made an new smaller enclosure and gave the option to move but now my T is comfortable in the old enclosure so panic for no reason. Have added a dry soil option into the enclosure. Thank you everyone.
Also am waiting for Cocofibre to be delivered.

Thefiddlinkeeper

Arachnopeon
I made my B. Auratum substrate too moist for it cause it didn’t like it either. Also if you didn’t pack the substrate down some Ts don’t like walking in unpacked sub. I am a musician and I have a dehumidifier thing that I put in my enclosure to help the sub dry out a little quicker.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I got my first tarantula today and it is a brachypelma emilia, I couldn't maintain the humidity as I needed the heater on as it is freezing in my house. I made it too wet and now my tarantula will not touch the substrate. What should I do, I can't get any soil as they have ran out where I live with people being stuck inside (I guess everyone is a Gardner now). Also I ended up putting my humidifier near her tank which has kept the humidity at 60 but this was after I made it too wet.
Here are some pics

Also any additional info would be nice, the research contradicts itself and the advice given by websites differ.
Let it dry out. It will soon since there is high ventilation in Kritter Keepers.

Also it needs more substrate, you don't want more than 1.5 times the DLS of the spider from the substrate to the roof.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron

Attachments

NexusNeutron

Arachnopeon
I got my first tarantula today and it is a brachypelma emilia, I couldn't maintain the humidity as I needed the heater on as it is freezing in my house. I made it too wet and now my tarantula will not touch the substrate. What should I do, I can't get any soil as they have ran out where I live with people being stuck inside (I guess everyone is a Gardner now). Also I ended up putting my humidifier near her tank which has kept the humidity at 60 but this was after I made it too wet.
Here are some pics

Also any additional info would be nice, the research contradicts itself and the advice given by websites differ.
Hi,
I promise you that substrate is fine, they just like to explore their new enclosure, that means exploring the tank glass aswell. My Curly Haired T's substrate is damper than your's and she's the happiest spider I've ever had. You just don't want it drenched to the point that if you were to push down on the substrate a puddle would form... that, yes, would be too wet. But you'd normally be able to tell from the outside because there would be a layer of water at the bottom Of the enclosure. Your T looks quite young, best thing to do is wait a few nights then using for phone's bright light look around to see if there is any really fine strings of web across the bottom of the enclose, then you will know that whilst you've been asleep your T has been exploring the bottom of the tank. Most likely lookingfor his water bowl as T's dont have very good vision (They won't avoid the substrate because it too wet so he/she is probably exploring the walls thats all).

Hope this helps,

Damien