What the hell?

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The pic could have easily been staged.
1. T blondi is not black like that, unless freshly after molt which means it can't eat.
2. I don't see the fangs sinking into the chicken.
3. The T is not injured in anyway. Look at the chicken! That is at least 3 times the T size! The T will prefer to run away, rather than trying to eat that.
4. The pic looks photoshoped. The left-most leg and right-most 2 legs look blured in a photoshoped way.
5. Small abdomen! That's not a blondi! More like an MM something.

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My T.Blondi is black..She was at one point Chestnut brown but after a molt shes blackish gray.

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that picture is most certainly not real. there is no way in hell that tarantula killed that chicken.

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That's simply a T walking over a dead chicken.

Flower

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had an ex who had family in South America. Anyways, he said he woke up and went outside in the morning to play (he was a little kid when this happened) and a HUGE spider was chasing down one of the chickens his family had. So I guess they can hunt chickens.

Eggy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Chickens (depending on the size ofc) Outweigh a large T.blondi like 20:1
and is much larger, they have sharp claws and a strong Beak, why on earth would they be scared of a "small" spider like a T.blondi.

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nah they cant and wouldnt try to hunt chickens lol, tarantulas have very poor vision basically they can see little more than light and dark, and they hunt by touch. Family stories get kinda skewed over the years. Like for instance my dad said when he was 3 his grandpa told him not to move and he came back with a shovel and killed a copperhead behind him. Copperheads by the lake in northeast ohio? Ya right lol, practically harmless snakes anyways. But my dad is pretty bullheaded and isnt educated on reality so anything he says really is questionable.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had an ex who had family in South America. Anyways, he said he woke up and went outside in the morning to play (he was a little kid when this happened) and a HUGE spider was chasing down one of the chickens his family had. So I guess they can hunt chickens.
Hearsay. Maybe the spider wandered through the yard and caused the chickens some momentary alarm. It doesn't mean the spider was chasing them.

If you travel abroad you will undoubtedly find that many individuals have their own legends and beliefs regarding the local wildlife. I met an individual from Costa Rica that believed Bothrops asper would seek revenge on humans that had wronged it, hunting them down, and envenomating them in their beds at night. While these stories are entertaining in their own right, it doesn't mean that they are true. Don't believe everything you are told.

Last edited:

Flower

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nah they cant and wouldnt try to hunt chickens lol, tarantulas have very poor vision basically they can see little more than light and dark, and they hunt by touch. Family stories get kinda skewed over the years. Like for instance my dad said when he was 3 his grandpa told him not to move and he came back with a shovel and killed a copperhead behind him. Copperheads by the lake in northeast ohio? Ya right lol, practically harmless snakes anyways. But my dad is pretty bullheaded and isnt educated on reality so anything he says really is questionable.
My Grandma told me this wild story about my Native American great grandparents. I later found out this story was actually stolen from an episode of the western series Bonanza, and had nothing to do with my actual Native American Grandparents. :?

So yeah, family stuff can get messed up. He claims he SAW this, though. Maybe the poor spider got in the chicken pen and was BEING chased rather than chasing. Or maybe he was just lying (He was stupid among other things, there is a reason he's my ex)

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Geeze, doesn't anyone click on links anymore? The 'chicken eating spider' (Pamphobeteus Ssp.) is known to be communal and have large numbers of adults (and juveniles) living in the same burrow, and is (AFAIK) the only T to hunt communally. And as far as 20:1 is concerned, i do not think it is that far fetched that a T. blondi take down a chicken (the T in the pic isn't "T. blondi" anyways...)... especially when you consider that chicken in the pic is quite obviously not full grown.

And with all the stories the natives tell, why is it that no one believes them? Just because they are a tribal people does not necessarely mean what they say does not have some credit to it. I think people that constantly live around the stuff may be a little more knowledgeable in what they can eat in the wild than say.... a bunch of hobbiests keeping their theraphosids in terrariums flippin crickets and roaches at them. :rolleyes:

Just my 0.02. I really do think that there may be larger theraphosids than we know of, and a species that hunts communally i do not think would have a hard time taking down a chicken, perhaps even by a single individual in the right circumstances.

BTW- The size comparison i am looking at with that specimen and the chicken is not THAT much of a difference that i think its by any means far fetched that the T could have killed it. If not for a meal, perhaps the chicken went after the spider and it bit in self defense. And in that case, if Australian T's can kill dogs.... why cant a S.A. tarantula (that is larger) kill a freakin chicken?

Last edited:

fastgixxerlv

Arachnopeon
Lol! I read about those a while ago. I think there may be a few people who keep these. These guys are rad! I think a t can kill a chicken... If a t fell on it or whatever and latched it's fangs, it would just be a matter of time, then game over. I mean, how would the chicken get it off?

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OH GOD it comes up again! Go do a search on the 'chicken eating spiders' of SA. It is right up there ^ in the top right hand corner, the 'Search' button. You will get the answer to this picture... and more interesting reads on this amazing species....

Cheers,
Nate

EDIT- Crap! I was feeling nice... screw it...

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=46617&highlight=chicken+eating+spider
dont mind him alot of the people on arachnoboards cant stand threads in my opinion if they cant stand it dont look at the thread

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When in deep burrow, stop digging.

It's a fake picture - either 'shopped or just of a T crawling over a chicken.
Wow. Can we move on now please? =P

And guys, play nice xD