What the hell is going on?????

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Everyone,
I have a beautiful little 2 in. P. Irminia sling. I have found the poor thing with cricket parts stuck to her with webbing and in the past, I have been able to free her from the debris. This time however, when I looked into the vile, the T had dragged the debris and lost a tarsi segment. Not hemolyphing and seems ok. Why is this happening? Seems to have enough room, the vile is about 2 inches wide by 4 inches deep, I try to get the debris out as soon as possible. This is not happening to my 3 in. Irminia.

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED, THANKS

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
At 3 inches, it wouldn't hurt to put the T in a tall deli cup or something with a little more room. It doesn't sound like that is the problem but what else could it be?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
At 3 inches, it wouldn't hurt to put the T in a tall deli cup or something with a little more room. It doesn't sound like that is the problem but what else could it be?
Well he said this was happening to his 2"er.
I don't get what you're saying, she gets cricket parts and substrate stuck to her? Alot?

And just losing a leg isn't a whole lot to suspect in all to itself.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well he said this was happening to his 2"er.
I don't get what you're saying, she gets cricket parts and substrate stuck to her? Alot?

And just losing a leg isn't a whole lot to suspect in all to itself.
Your right, I guess when I read it I got it mixed up. If it's only 2 inches or so then I'm not sure what the problems would be because it would not be outgrowing its home, yet.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If the tarantula is 2" and the vial is only 2" wide, I think it's a safe bet that is way too small. It probably doesn't even have room to move to clean itself.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't think the size is the problem. The tarantula sits in there in an up and down direction and that would be plenty of room.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Hi Everyone,
I have a beautiful little 2 in. P. Irminia sling. I have found the poor thing with cricket parts stuck to her with webbing and in the past, I have been able to free her from the debris. This time however, when I looked into the vile, the T had dragged the debris and lost a tarsi segment. Not hemolyphing and seems ok. Why is this happening? Seems to have enough room, the vile is about 2 inches wide by 4 inches deep, I try to get the debris out as soon as possible. This is not happening to my 3 in. Irminia.

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED, THANKS
There was an article some years back in the ATS Forum about baby Avics in vials being prone to getting tangled up in their own webs, sometimes with fatal results. It seems the smooth, circular sides of vials don't always allow firm attachment points for webbing. I have encountered this a few times myself in arboreal tarantulas, most memorably on a half-grown S. calceatum that had a perfect figure eight harness of webbing around its prosoma and whom I had to disentangle using embroidery scissors and forceps. Not an undertaking for the weak at heart!

I have found that small cubic clear plastic craft boxes work a lot better than vials for small arboreal tarantulas (they are obtainable at craft stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby). They can be ventilated on five sides instead of just on top as with vials; they can be turned so the opening is on the side rather than on top (meaning the tarantula isn't so likely to bolt out of the container when it is opened); and they come in sizes ranging from about 2" cubed to the larger sizes sold for Beanie Babies.

Alternately, you can remove your tarantula from its vial and hot-glue a few sprigs of plastic foliage around the sides to give it solid attachment points. I have found this works well, too, and is certainly cheaper than providing craft boxes for a whole eggsac's worth of little Avics.

Hope this helps!

Joy

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thank you all for the advice. I will rehouse to something a little larger. I looked today and the little thing is down in the webbing and definitely did lose a leg. I don't want to disturb it at the moment. Will post updates.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Arboreal and larger spiderlings upwards to 2"-3", or any smaller invert such as jumping spiders and scorplings, I am keeping in these "Rubbermaid Takealongs" that come in a pack of 4 for like $2.49 at Target. The "Deep Square" 42 oz models.

Only thing, always be careful to make sure the lids are snapped closed tightly. I partially pierce the lids with an icepick. Just large enough provide ventilation but make escaping impossible.

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Update

Well. the little spidey had a succesful moult and seems to be doing OK. Still is without one appendage. Getting around pretty well. Will it take 2 to 3 moults for the leg to come back??????