What the heck is this???

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay so I was pulling an old motor out of a scrap metal pile in my shed and this "thing" fell out of it. It's about half and inch long and bounced around like a shrimp out of water. It's scaly in the same way a butterfly's wings are and has a very unusual somewhat "silverfish" look to it. An ID would be great, I'm lost on this one.
Also this is from South Central Pennsylvania and was found today.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It looks a lot like a silverfish but it's something else, I can't remember the name. I took a pic of one too quite a while back and posted it, somebody IDd it. Yeah I remember that they bounce around like a shrimp out of water, prob the first time I had seen one of those.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
it reminds me of lawn shrimp, but I don't know any that color or with that tail

Mat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd say a Firebrat, a member of the Silverfish family.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
"Firebrat", I don't think that's it either, maybe I'll look for that old thread.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good lord, people. That's an archaeognathan (jumping bristletail).

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good lord, people. That's an archaeognathan (jumping bristletail).
Ah, thank you. I couldn't seem to figure it out. It's an odd little thing isn't it? Time to do a bit of research, I'm curious what role this little guy has.

Vulgaris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They are very strange creatures, in my opinion. I've only ever seen one once and they look ancient

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ohh I've see these. It's a jumping bristletail.

;)

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, I've never heard of these. I would have guess silverfish or firebrat and suggested marshmellows as a snack. X-D

texasroach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Insects in the order Archaeognatha are the most primitive living insects, they can be distinguished from order Thysanura (silverfish and firebrats) by their humped thorax, and larger eyes which are set close together

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's really cool. I've never even heard of one of those but the woods near my house is probably thick with them.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If it's about half an inch, it's a Machillid if it's smaller, it's probably a Meinertellid. Machillids have scales on their antennae, while Meinertellids don't.

Cool find. :)

They're known as Microcoryphians now, Archaeognatha isn't used so much anymore.

texasroach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They're known as Microcoryphians now, Archaeognatha isn't used so much anymore.
We still use Archaeognatha at Texas A&M, if one of the top entomology departments in the country is using it I'm going to go with Archaeognatha