What the heck is this thing?

Sonofaglitch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't have a picture to put up of this large and scary looking insect, but I can give you decent details...it's wings are dragonfly like, clear and veined, very large and tapered at the end, I believe it to have a two-segmented body, with a very loooong abdomen, probably about twice and a half the length of it's carapace. I didn't see any type of probiscus when studying the mouth parts...and didn't see a stinger on the end of it's body. It's head is small and wedge shaped, with no "neck" movement that I can see. It's a dark brown insect. Head to end of body it's about 1.5" length, and the wingspan about the same. Any ideas? I'll try to get pictures up, I just want to know if I need to worry about this bug or not. Thank you! By the way, I'm in New England, if that helps!

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are both of the wings roughly the same size and shape? sounds almost like an antlion. kinda on the smallish size though

Sonofaglitch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, they are about the same size although I looked at it this morning and it's wings are resting folded over it's back now, where last night they weren't, they were spread like a dragonfly. Also, I just looked at a pic of ant lions and it doesn't look like those guys at all. I really have to get a picture up. It's mouthparts seem to be almost ant-like (just in shape, I mean...they're straight out from the face, not angled down).

Sonofaglitch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Also a no for that owl fly. I just googled images for it. I honestly am wondering if this bug is even from around here because I've never *ever* seen one before, and I'm a night person.

Sonofaglitch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Aha, maybe? I think I may have a female dobsonfly...no idea wth that is...but that might be what it is!! I'm hopefully going to put a pic up within a few minutes, waiting on a camera.

Sonofaglitch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
eyeball cams suck, but here's the bug.

And here is the bug I compared it to:

Yep, thats what I've got...and it's gross...just so you know the bug isn't dead, it was just cooled down enough for it to slow down so I could get a pic w/o her biting me (Yes, they bite!). She's moving around now and I'm going to let her go in a bit, now that I know what the heck she is! Thanks for all the help though.

Darwinsdad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If that is the same bug we get around here it is the mature form of what we know as a "helgermite" The larva are aquatic and awsome Large Mouth Bass bait. If it is the same you have a male as the females pincers/jaws are very long. I have seen them at well over an inch.

Sonofaglitch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
that pic is off, it's pinscers were actually short, the eyeball cam didn;t have a good angle. but thanks. :) I had no idea we had these around here cuz I've never ever seen one!

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
At 1.5" it's a fishfly not a dobsonfly (Chauliodes not Corydalus) -- they look similar.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
At 1.5" it's a fishfly not a dobsonfly (Chauliodes not Corydalus) -- they look similar.
Oh shoot! I saw 2 of eather of the 2 you posted at camp. I got photos so when I get them developed I'll know for sure if it's a female dobson or fishfly. I know it's one of them. But in my notes ( I keep track of all the bugs I see ) I put dobson fly. I'll know soon enough any way.

But the 2 that I saw looked alot like the one sitting on the leaf in your photo. And they were both females. I didn't have ruler on me at those particular times because I wanted to get a picture soooooooooo bad.

I've never seen these in person alive and it was a real treat to see 2 2 nights in a row! :eek: :D

Black Widow88

Sonofaglitch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
"Treat" haha...yeah not for me. Funny how a 6" T can be crawling all over me and I'm okay...but a beetle, cricket, or, apparently, fishfly or dobsonfly...I'm all set! :eek:

Just googled "Fishfly" and you're right!!! *NOT* a Dobsonfly as I thought...definately, without a doubt now that I have a pinscer size to compare to, a fishfly. THANK YOU SO MUCH! But still icky.

charlet_2007

Arachnopeon
yeah i had one thos land on me in a outside restroom.. &%&$& scared the *^&(^ out of me lol and the darn thing knew i was the one that was trying to get it in a bottle i had to take pics of it.. and flew on me again.. i hate those things... but heres mine i found.. well actuly found me lol

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you Thank you Thank you! Your pictures confirmed that the 2 that I saw were female Dobson Flies! Thank you!

Black Widow88

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Aaah! I've got some research to do now thanks to you guys! Thank you!

Black Widow88

ScienceDvia

Arachnopeon
fishfly larvae

The larvae are also aquatic, like the dobson fly. If you want to find some interesting insects and other creatures, google benthic macroinvertebrates and go from there.

ScienceDiva