What the heck happened? What do i do?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hope the person doesn’t give feedwers to the pet stores! Some buy from local breeders

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I don't know if you'll get it but I would be demanding compensation.
It might be difficult to prove unless others come forward with the same complaint.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
Thats horrendous.
Name and shame. In these circumstances it really should be allowed.
Have you thought about speaking to the relevant public authority?
Here in the UK we have council departments, or even going up a level to a government department that deals with animal health.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Imagine if someone sold poison dog food!
You are well within your rights to belt out the name at the very least.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Name and shame. In these circumstances it really should be allowed.
You are well within your rights to belt out the name at the very least.
Nope, not on this site. We have designated areas for things like this and the Tarantula Questions and Discussions forum is not it. If a user has run into a problem with a seller/buyer, their transaction has been completed, and they expect nothing further to transpire, they can leave a review. If the entity they would like to review does not have a review item, they can request that one be created.

Name and shame has no place on this site at all...

Can I do that with local ads? Cause its not an online seller?
First of all, sorry for your losses. :(

When you say "local ads" what exactly do you mean? Was this ad in a local print distribution (flyer, newspaper, etc.)? Was it a post somewhere else online(Craiglist, Facebook, etc.)?

In this specific case, as the welfare of other tarantulas/animals may be in jeopardy, you can post in the 'inquiry/warning' forum with the sellers information and a brief description of what happened with your tarantulas. Please title your thread with the name of the entity that you purchased the feeders from.

The warning thread will not be for further discussion of the issue, but to warn other users who might deal with this entity.

If you have any further questions regarding posting a warning thread, please feel free to start a conversation with me.

Regards,
MrD

Last edited by a moderator:

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Nope, not on this site. We have designated areas for things like this and the Tarantula Questions and Discussions forum is not it. If a user has run into a problem with a seller/buyer, their transaction has been completed, and they expect nothing further to transpire, they can leave a review. If the entity they would like to review does not have a review item, they can request that one be created.

Name and shame has no place on this site at all...

First of all, sorry for your losses. :(

When you say "local ads" what exactly do you mean? Was this ad in a local print distribution (flyer, newspaper, etc.)? Was it a post somewhere else online(Craiglist, Facebook, etc.)?

In this specific case, as the welfare of other tarantulas/animals may be in jeopardy, you can post in the 'inquiry/warning' forum with the sellers information and a brief description of what happened with your tarantulas. Please title your thread with the name of the entity that you purchased the feeders from.

The warning thread will not be for further discussion of the issue, but to warn other users who might deal with this entity.

If you have any further questions regarding posting a warning thread, please feel free to start a conversation with me.

Regards,
MrD
So they can belt out the name, just in another area?

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
So they can belt out the name, just in another area?
Naming has never been an issue. As long as it is posted in the correct location. Reviews or Inquiries/Warnings.

Making a post in a more appropriate section (we are making an exception for this, due to the emergency nature to try to help prevent additional fatalities), with a detailed accounting of the facts, is no where the same as "name and shame". Emotions will need to be checked at the door for the warning to stand.

Debby

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Making a post in a more appropriate section (we are making an exception for this, due to the emergency nature to try to help prevent additional fatalities), with a detailed accounting of the facts, is no where the same as "name and shame". Emotions will need to be checked at the door for the warning to stand.

Debby
So, we're all in agreement, regardless of the wording we choose to use in reference to accountability and the prevention of future harm. Maybe "belt out" wasn't a term you would use but the page we fall on is the same.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
Naming has never been an issue. As long as it is posted in the correct location. Reviews or Inquiries/Warnings.

Debby
I personally feel that you are splitting hairs.
In this specific case, naming the dealer selling these mealworms appears to be allowed as an exception to the normal rules, as per the quote above. Quite how the section that this appears in can make any difference is, frankly, beyond me.
If there is a seller supplying mealworms that are killing tarantulas, then how on earth can it matter what section of this forum highlights that?

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
If not then admin/mods can say where it can be posted.
I'm pretty sure that it's already been mentioned multiple times:

If there is a seller supplying mealworms that are killing tarantulas, then how on earth can it matter what section of this forum highlights that?
By posting information in other than the correct area, all you do is negate the reason for having those separate areas. This isn't Facebook where everything is lumped together. I don't make Kool-Aid by spreading the powder on my counter and pouring water on it, I put it in the appropriate container.

It matters because people should be going to either the review item for the seller or to the warnings/inquiry forum for information like this, not to a random thread titled "What the heck happened? What do i do?" (that will probably be forgotten within a month). Diluting important information by allowing it to be posted anywhere helps no one.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
So to sum up please follow the link and post a review so others know not to purchase from this person going forward. Save some T's. Also post the link here since this threat has attracted so much attention.

Popolo

Arachnopeon
My supplier was out of food so I had to go to a different local supplier. Fed my slings and juvie small meal worms. They eat them no problem. Come back a few hours later. My i. Mira sling. Dead. My g pulchara, my most active tarantula and best eater. Death curl possibly dead, twitched once that was it. My a geniculata juvie, death curl but is starting to move. My t. Stirmi sling okay but is in a stress pose and the c darlingi sling is nowhere to be seen.

I’m mad. I’m worried. What happened with their food. My tarantulas were fine until i gave them those meal worms.

Posted a pic of my g pulchara. I don’t know if it’s too late.
Weird question did you post this on craigslist? I saw a post talking about a bad batch of worms on my local CL

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure that it's already been mentioned multiple times:

By posting information in other than the correct area, all you do is negate the reason for having those separate areas. This isn't Facebook where everything is lumped together. I don't make Kool-Aid by spreading the powder on my counter and pouring water on it, I put it in the appropriate container.

It matters because people should be going to either the review item for the seller or to the warnings/inquiry forum for information like this, not to a random thread titled "What the heck happened? What do i do?" (that will probably be forgotten within a month). Diluting important information by allowing it to be posted anywhere helps no one.
@Ian14

In support of AB on this segregation of data.

There’s a US reptile forum that’s been around for a long time. They have a forum called BOI, board of inquiry. It’s specifically for asking if a vendor is good or not, as well as exposing or airing out grievances. It works very well because the site owner enforces it well.

Also in the early days of the internet there was no place to find or ASK such information about a seller. There were no stupid “social” media platforms etc. It was an extremely useful section of the that herp site, to find BOTH bad AND good info on sellers.

This section on AB is very much the same idea in principle.

Rebelchast

Arachnopeon
This is shocking and incredibly worrying. Ive only been in the hobby since last year and I worry about my live food being ok for them all the time. Im so sorry about your Ts. :(