What the heck am I?

ember

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know that it is a cricket-mashing machine. He (my guess) went CRAZY when I set him in the new tank and chased down two crickets right away. It was awesome! What is it? Male or female??

So, I was told he is a "Chocoin Brown" but that is not a real type of spider according to Google. She also said that it was a rare baboon cross bred. Oh, and it was from Scamps.

I am thinking that he is a Chaco golden knee (Grammostola aureostriata)... but of course I am not certain.

If he is a male, does anyone have a female in need of a snack... erm, I mean, mate?

So, I picked him up from a gal that had him in an 18 gallon tall tank with hardly any substrate, but plenty to climb on. He had the bottom webbed up nicely.

I have him in a 10 gallon with a TON of coconut core substrate, and some other stuff too. I have it set up to where he can hide, burrow, or climb without much risk of injury.

I set him in, and he went nuts... webbed the walls like mad, and then settled in. He then CHASED down two crickets... and I am sure he would eat more if I put them in there.

He haired me up pretty good, but otherwise seemed totally cool with my interference with moving him and such. He treated me more like an obnoxious obstacle than a threat.

I have the remains of his (her?) last shed.

Here are photos:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have no clue if its a boy or girl............ but thats a cool setup lol. I have never thought of using toys like that :cool:

If you want to sex him/her you should look at the sexing section and look at the areas they are looking at....... there are tons of pictures of where to look and what to look for. The area you want to look to sex is folded together in your picture. So I have no clue....... one outside observation based on body type it MAY be a male...... but thats not a good way to judge sex. I am just thinking outloud.....

Try wetting that molt and opening the area of skin and laying it flat...... the area that used to be the abdomen, and take another picture as close as you can without losing focus in the area of the upper book lungs.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It looks very nice! Vibrant colorations and it's pattern is great! That's why I love my aureostriata too, how's it's attitude? Mine so far has been pretty easily to work with in terms of cage cleaning. :D

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I can't see what needs to be seen to determine sex but I get the impression of it being an ultimate male. Just the proportions look like it. How big is it? Look for hooks 'n gloves...

Bill

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was thinking that myself as I mentioned and now that I look at it the 5th picture from the bottem I think I see gloves at the end of the palps.

Oh yep and you can see hooks in the first picture.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know that it is a cricket-mashing machine. He (my guess) went CRAZY when I set him in the new tank and chased down two crickets right away. It was awesome! What is it? Male or female??

So, I was told he is a "Chocoin Brown" but that is not a real type of spider according to Google. She also said that it was a rare baboon cross bred. Oh, and it was from Scamps.

I am thinking that he is a Chaco golden knee (Grammostola aureostriata)... but of course I am not certain.

If he is a male, does anyone have a female in need of a snack... erm, I mean, mate?

So, I picked him up from a gal that had him in an 18 gallon tall tank with hardly any substrate, but plenty to climb on. He had the bottom webbed up nicely.

I have him in a 10 gallon with a TON of coconut core substrate, and some other stuff too. I have it set up to where he can hide, burrow, or climb without much risk of injury.

I set him in, and he went nuts... webbed the walls like mad, and then settled in. He then CHASED down two crickets... and I am sure he would eat more if I put them in there.

He haired me up pretty good, but otherwise seemed totally cool with my interference with moving him and such. He treated me more like an obnoxious obstacle than a threat.

I have the remains of his (her?) last shed.

Here are photos:

That female eating male tarantula after mating doesnt happen as often as people think it does...males actually can stay in the tank and mate a few times {D

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
It looks like a male but ...man are you sure its a mature male? i dont see any gloves neither hooks :?
With those pics, that's my bet. But if he gets a look/pics of the palps, we can be sure.
I'm starting to second guess myself though, look at the pic 6 up from the bottom. The palps aren't curled.

-Sean

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's got that "leggy" look that males have, but I don't see gloves or hooks either.

r4iney

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Did you remember to buy some furnitures for your G. aureostriata, now that is has its own playhouse? :D

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IS there any way the post owner could unravel the abdomen so we can just see what sex it is..or did someone already inquire about this?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes my first post I asked for him to try and lay out the skin and wet it and try and lay if flat I never got a reply.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Since the OP has gone AWOL, does anybody know what kind of grass that is?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It looks just like regular grass seed that was germinated in the tank..... I thought about using grass but that would need more water then any of my species would really want to be around.

ember

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not AWOL... just busy! Heh..

I am thinking male. I will try to open the molt to get clear photos. I appriciate all of the replies too, thanks!

The grass is an organic shade grass. It helps the tanks look cool, gives variations for the spiders, and increase humidity without the bacteria/mold risks in saturating the substrate (which is "bed a best" style coconut core compressed REALLY well, with some loose on top).

Here are some pictures of a few other tanks, so you can see what I am talking about:

This is Anansi (our G. Rosea)'s tank...

I keep this one at LOW humidity, so there is dried reptile moss and fake plants, and only a tiny bit of grass in one area (where I mist ever few weeks in that one spot). I just make sure she has he water dish full and she is happy as can be.

Here is Biliku, (our A. Seemanni)'s tank... She has tall grass in two corners now, and in between the mushroom. I will post up a picture of how it looks now once I post up the photos of the exo of our new Grammostola aureostriata.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Haha... Good timing! Your setups are tons of fun, btw!

ember

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I added doll house furniture to the new kid's tank. It looks neat. I have empty play dough containers buried at an angle, so he can hide inside and I can still see him. He has checked out every one of them, in a new spot each time I check on him. He is a total crick-o-holic... one easy spider to power-feed if I did not know and care better than to do so.