What terrarium for a pair of H. dilatata

Carthropod

Arachnosquire
Already asked this in an older thread,
i want a nice bioactive enclosure for a pair of H. dilatata, what size should i get? brand doesnt matter, just one that can stand the high humidity needs for the H. dilatata, and i dont want them to look cramped

Thanks in advance

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Already asked this in an older thread,
i want a nice bioactive enclosure for a pair of H. dilatata, what size should i get? brand doesnt matter, just one that can stand the high humidity needs for the H. dilatata, and i dont want them to look cramped

Thanks in advance
Firstly you need to make sure you have a constant supply of Bramble/ Blackberry, can be difficult to find in the middle of winter and in the early spring you mustn't feed the fresh green leaves as they are toxic to young. Secondly the females are very large and heavy, if you are going to use a glass enclosure you will need very large stout Bramble stems or provide wooden branches to take their weight. I personally made large wooden enclosures with glass or acrylic fronts, then use fine green mesh and fix to all sides and especially the top where they hang and molt.

Carthropod

Arachnosquire
Firstly you need to make sure you have a constant supply of Bramble/ Blackberry, can be difficult to find in the middle of winter and in the early spring you mustn't feed the fresh green leaves as they are toxic to young. Secondly the females are very large and heavy, if you are going to use a glass enclosure you will need very large stout Bramble stems or provide wooden branches to take their weight. I personally made large wooden enclosures with glass or acrylic fronts, then use fine green mesh and fix to all sides and especially the top where they hang and molt.
oooh, i dont have any expirience with making encosures, i dont know if my mom will trust me that i make it escape proof, i was already thinking to add big ''decor'branches to go to the (what most terariums have) mesh ceiling. is it possible to make a natural looking enclosure with a DIY, if yes do you have any tutorial/guide to making them?

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
oooh, i dont have any expirience with making encosures, i dont know if my mom will trust me that i make it escape proof, i was already thinking to add big ''decor'branches to go to the (what most terariums have) mesh ceiling. is it possible to make a natural looking enclosure with a DIY, if yes do you have any tutorial/guide to making them?
If you purchase one of the glass terrariums with a mesh top and add your large decor branches making sure the branches reach the mesh, it should be fine. Just make sure the height of the enclosure is At Least twice the length of the biggest females, 3 times is better.

Carthropod

Arachnosquire
If you purchase one of the glass terrariums with a mesh top and add your large decor branches making sure the branches reach the mesh, it should be fine. Just make sure the height of the enclosure is At Least twice the length of the biggest females, 3 times is better.
i already have a 30 30 60 cm exo terra (not for H. dilatata) i would not like how small 30 cm width would look with an 15 cm animal in it, can 45 45 45 work too, or is that just over/under-kill

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
i already have a 30 30 60 cm exo terra (not for H. dilatata) i would not like how small 30 cm width would look with an 15 cm animal in it, can 45 45 45 work too, or is that just over/under-kill
30cms wide is fine, they don't spend much time horizontal, that's why height is important . 45x45x45 is fine. If your budget will allow 45x45x60 would be ideal for 3 or 4 pairs.

Carthropod

Arachnosquire
30cms wide is fine, they don't spend much time horizontal, that's why height is important . 45x45x45 is fine. If your budget will allow 45x45x60 would be ideal for 3 or 4 pairs.
wait i didnt know multiple pairs could live together, but i already have 6 other species and wanna keep it to 1 pair

Carthropod

Arachnosquire
and the pair i most that i will get most likely is in a petshop/zoo in one, it will most likely be a rescue because the last time i was there it didnt look nearly as humid as it needed to be.
im calling today to see if they still have the pair, but i wonder if they can handle the 15min car drive over the highway, my other stick insects did but if they can get agressive, i dont want to make them kill eachother.
and i got recommeded a screen eclosure by another keeper, but is it possible to keep the humidity high enough?

Last edited:

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
and the pair i most that i will get most likely is in a petshop/zoo in one, it will most likely be a rescue because the last time i was there it didnt look nearly as humid as it needed to be.
im calling today to see if they still have the pair, but i wonder if they can handle the 15min car drive over the highway, my other stick insects did but if they can get agressive, i dont want to make them kill eachother.
and i got recommeded a screen eclosure by another keeper, but is it possible to keep the humidity high enough?
They won't hurt each other during the journey. A screen enclosure that's mesh on all sides is no good for retaining humidity. A tall glass terrarium with a mesh top is far better.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
H. dilatata doesn’t just eat bramble, bramble is a popular foodplant because in Europe it’s easy to find bramble leaves that are green throughout the winter but other plants like oak, salal, bayberry and many other trees/shrubs in the oak or rose family will work just as well. If you don’t have access to foodplants that stay green through the winter you can solve this by collecting leaves in the summer and freezing them.