What tells you this is a male?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think you linked to the wrong picture. This appears to me to be a female Usambara Baboon off of this site and not a male anything off the the ATS site.

Jon

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Inktomi
I've been learning how to sex tarantulas...I have my pocket microscope and understand how to examine an exuvum.
This pic is from this ATS site...but what says it's a male?
Well, the dopey grin, for one thing.

gphx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How to tell male from female

These pictures may be of assistance: http://www.goldenphoenixexotica.com/sexing.html

Then again, possibly not as sexing tarantulas is one thing for which in person instruction is extremely helpful. The annual ATS convention is coming up soon and there is typically just such a workshop, whether formal or informal.

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
You are right that it is from this site...but the caption on a previous page states that it is a male. That's what I'm having trouble with. The shape of the epigastric furrow appears to be male (to me) but the arrangement of the book lungs looks more like female...

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Well, the mature male pedipalps might tip you off. Kinda hard to see the tibial apophysis though as they blend into the legs. If you look to the top of the epigastric furrow, you can kinda make out the epiandrous fusilae.

Scott