What tarantulas can stridulate?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
All Australian species can do it but our rattlesnake tarantula is the best in the world at it

That is awesome! Does this species always stridulate first before attacking? Or does it also bite without warning?

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Isn't that the species often called 'whistling spider' or 'barking spider'?
Yeah I believe it is and if my memory serves me correctly at least 1 Aussie species of "barking tarantula" will kind of cartwheel away from an attacking tarantula hawk wasp. I'm probably mistaken though

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
That is awesome! Does this species always stridulate first before attacking? Or does it also bite without warning?
From what I have seen with this species it's extremely irritable, highly skittish and will actually die from small amounts of stress... so yeah they like to threat before they bite.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
From what I have seen with this species it's extremely irritable, higI gly skittish and will actually die from small amounts of stress... so yeah they like to threat before they bite.
Well, at least it'll give you a warning first.

Dying of stress, that is sad. Not a species that is easily kept in the hobby, I think.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Well, at least it'll give you a warning first.

Dying of stress, that is sad. Not a species that is easily kept in the hobby, I think.
No it's not easily kept at all, we haven't even had one successful sac from them in captivity yet. They're for veteran keepers who prefer to look and not touch.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
No it's not easily kept at all, we haven't even had one successful sac from them in captivity yet. They're for veteran keepers who prefer to look and not touch.
Amen to that!! Your last sentence that is.
I've a trio of P. sp. Eunice, doesn't take much disturbance to get them hissing. Wish more of the Aussie species were available in the U.S. You have very strict laws when it comes to exporting native species. I recall an article written by Steve Nunn on the subject some time ago. Its do to his efforts that the U.S. has the few that are available now.

Last edited:

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Amen to that!! Your last sentence that is.
I've a trio of P. sp. Eunice, doesn't take much disturbance to get them hissing. Wish more of the Aussie species were available in the U.S. You have very strict laws when it comes to exporting native species. I recall an article written by Steve Nunn on the subject some time ago. Its do to his efforts that the U.S. has the few that are available now.
Yes Steve Nunn went through a lot of effort exporting them over there legally, it took him many years and he lost thousands of dollars.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Brachypelma boehmei can stridulate.
See, I've got one, and I wasn't sure if they did or not. I just thought that she was kicking hair so furiously that it made a sound. Almost sounds like crinkling wrapping paper.

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
My subadult female Cyriopagopus sp. "minax" did it the other night when it ran up my dipper spoon during rehousing. It sounded just like my Elliptorhina javanica.