What tarantulas are the most rare and expensive?

Amoeba

Arachnolord
P metallica
M balfouri
X immanis

All over $100
Knock yourself out ;P

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Xenenthis Monstrosa :)
Pamphobeteus Insignis
Pamphobeteus Ultramarinus
Xenenthis Sp Blue
P Metallica
megaphobema peterklassi
Brachypelma Burguamteni (sorry for the spelling)

All the Ts I mention are more than 500 if they are adult females

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Rare and expensive are two differant things in this hobby. Demand drives up the price on pretty spiders like P. metallica, but I wouldn't consider them rare these days. A spider like Pseudhapalopus spinulopalpus would sell for around $35, and how many people can say they have those?;)

Later, Tom

cnapple

Arachnoknight
Others have covered the species mentioned. I just thought I'd add: it seems like a silly reason to get a T to me. :confused: No offense meant, but why would you want to get something just because it's rare and expensive. To me there are prettier species with more interesting behavior than most of the species listed above. If I were you, I'd look up a bunch of species, decide which you think are the most beautiful or have the most appealing behavioral characteristics and go to town. If that happens to be P. metallica etc...knock yourself out, but I'd bet you find some interesting, gorgeous Ts at a much lower price range. Bonus: you can get more Ts! :p

DannyH

Arachnobaron
Others have covered the species mentioned. I just thought I'd add: it seems like a silly reason to get a T to me. :confused: No offense meant, but why would you want to get something just because it's rare and expensive. To me there are prettier species with more interesting behavior than most of the species listed above. If I were you, I'd look up a bunch of species, decide which you think are the most beautiful or have the most appealing behavioral characteristics and go to town. If that happens to be P. metallica etc...knock yourself out, but I'd bet you find some interesting, gorgeous Ts at a much lower price range. Bonus: you can get more Ts! :p
Yeah, I know. I want to get a few more T's before I start adding these to my collection, like the P. scrofa, which I find very beautiful. I just want to boast one of these guys. {D

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Agreed. Supply and demand.rare wise. In my book. Megaphobema mesomelas. You. Get wild caught ones but captive bred and rasied ones are super hard to find. Maybe ill get a sac out of my pair. Expensive too

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Boast makes Toast {D

I don't understand this. People like Ferraris but I would never own one. I'm just a weirdo ol' soul.

Back on Ts

Try and buy a adult female GBB for $1.

from what I understand this isn't just because of demand for pretty colors it's the breeding process

DannyH

Arachnobaron
Boast makes Toast {D

I don't understand this. People like Ferraris but I would never own one. I'm just a weirdo ol' soul.

Back on Ts

Try and buy a adult female GBB for $1.

from what I understand this isn't just because of demand for pretty colors it's the breeding process
I don't understand the thing with cars either, but also back to Ts.
To me, the Mettalica people showed me is the only one that looks worth the price. The other ones are just big, which is what a good ol' Blondi is good at.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the demand can be from

1. colors/attractiveness
2. size
3. rarity
4. difficulty to breed

as all said above, and some will T's will have anywhere from 1-4 of these qualities which drives its price up.

And its nice to have expensive T's, it makes the investment and breeding worth it.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Along with others mentioned..

Ami genus - Are any of these available yet?

Caphonopelma moorei

Bonnetina cyaneifemur

Oligoxystre diamantinensis - I have yet to see slings in the US.

Vitalius “spp. Brazilian Blue” - If that is what it is..

Harpactira atra

Coremiocnemis brachyramosa

Holothele "Spp. Columbia"

Megaphobema robustum - Females are quite pricey

I'd also love to get these true spiders.

Anelosimus eximius

Agelena consociata

They live in social colonies. Feed my minions. :D

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
I don't think I saw this mentioned yet, but (not really expensive compared to some) Poecilotheria smithi are still pretty rare (and semi-costly) in the hobby.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
E. olivacea just showed up outta nowhera are going for $150 a sling. i believe syndicate bred them. i wonder if they had been in the hobby before

Lorum

Arachnosquire
Most rare tarantulas? Maybe those species are not even in the hobby yet (like Harpactira pulchripes), IMO (depending on what you are referring to as "rare").

So, those rare tarantulas could be species like Megaphobema teceae, Iridopelma seladonium, Bacillochilus xenostridulans, Cyrtopholis jamaicola, Sickius longibulbi, etc.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Ami cf. Yupanquii and Ami sp. Columbia are in the states, just check the FS section.

Avicularia pulchra and Psalmopoeus langenbucheri are some species that I would consider rare.