What tarantula should i get?

kollidingstars

Arachnopeon
What's some good suggestions for my first tarantula? As it's my first I want it to be one of the more calmer ones and I also want to be able to see it quite often (so i dont want it to be one that burrows away all the time or something like that). Does anyone have any good suggestions?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
G pulchripes ( Chaco golden knee) there is no better, more affordable species that fits your criteria.

Anyone that suggests a Brachy is handing you a genus that are more likely to kick urticating setae than the above species.

The same for the Curly Haired tarantula you may have run across

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
T. albopilosus is the best readily available beginner species you can get, G. pulchripes is a close second.

I have 8 Brachypelma species and a few species from Tliltocatl (both forms of T. albopilosus, T. schroederi, & T. vagans) and the only one to ever kick hairs is my Brachypelma smithi (ex annitha) male, 1 flicky individual out of 12 species.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
They can be a little faster than some of the others mentioned. But if you’re a responsible person that takes care when working with them (rehousing mostly) I’d def recommend a C. cyanopubescens (GBB). A little quicker than the others but IMO far more attractive, webs a lot and quite literally never hides. I don’t even put a hide in their enclosure bec at no stage of raising them did they ever use it. I’ve also never had one kick hairs either. Not too mention Extremely easy to care for.
You may realize this but just bc a certain genus/species is considered docile you may still get an individual that is in a perpetual bad mood. It goes both ways though you can get super docile individuals from a defensive species. You generally don’t find out the temperament till they are juveniles/adults. It can change from one molt to the next

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya know? There's nothing wrong with curly hairs.
One love, bro.
You haven’t owned my Curly Hairs :rolleyes: They kick frequently. It’s a crapshoot with that species. Not so much with Chaco’s - case closed, at least the ones I’ve owned.

Last edited:

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
You haven’t owned my Curly Hairs :rolleyes: They kick frequently. It’s a crapshoot with that species. Not so much with Chaco’s - case closed.
Maybe the ones you've met were from economically depressed areas.
I find them to be really chill.

basin79

ArachnoGod
There are many members on here who have "broken" tarantulas and as such there's no guarantee a particular tarantula will behave in the usual way.

A calm terrestrial species that is always out for many might very well be a defensive recluse for you for example.

Although don't let that put you off. Because that particular tarantula will be yours and you'll love them for it anyway.

*edited, deleted an additional "might".

Last edited:

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
As an owner of both T. albo and G. pulchripes....

Not even close...

T. albo by a longshot!!

Better eater (though pulchripes isn't bad), better behavior (more active, dirt movers, etc.), grow faster....

Don't see one reason Chaco's trump albo's!

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I have never had a T. Albo flick hair.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tliltocatl albopilosus, but make sure you get captive born/bred from a responsible dealer/breeder, not a wild caught adult from a pet store. None of the six I currently have kick hairs.
Grammostola pulchripes. Great species, all captive bred at this point.

Avoid the temptation of getting an Aphonopelma chalcodes. They are great tarantulas, however large individuals are caught from the wild, and captive born/bred slings grow excruciatingly slow, which may cause you to lose interest. Feel free to buy some slings along with the above mentioned species though, that way you have a couple faster growing and more active species while you chalcodes takes its time to grow.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
A Chalcodes or G Pulchripes. Also would be pick 3 only because their little speed bursts can be unsettling for a newbie

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
As an owner of both T. albo and G. pulchripes....

Not even close...

T. albo by a longshot!!

Better eater (though pulchripes isn't bad), better behavior (more active, dirt movers, etc.), grow faster....

Don't see one reason Chaco's trump albo's!
-They get larger as adults, which might be an advantage or disadvantage depending on what you like.

-Some people may prefer the look of the golden striped legs to the fluffiness of the T. albo. It's just personal preference.

Both are wonderful starter Ts, though.

I might also throw T. vagans in as another option. They check most of the same boxes that those two do, and they are beautiful as adults. My larger female is a real stunner to see in person. One of the most underrated Ts in the hobby.

Last edited: