What substrate do you use for your terrestrial t's?

What kind of substrate do you use for your terrestrial T's?

• Peat Moss

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Vermiculite

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Dirt

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Coconut Shavings

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • Peat Moss/Vermiculite mix

Votes: 11 21.6%

• Total voters

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I for one like seeing old threads revived, because it means people are using the search function. We're either chastising people for asking the usual played out stuff, or telling them they're posting on a dead thread. Shouldn't we be praising others for actually searching too?.
+1. There's a lot of great info and pics in old threads. Many new threads are rehashes of old topics, usually by new members asking what's been asked (and answered) dozens of times before. In new threads on the same topic, some of that good info doesn't get mentioned, especially if those knowledgeable/experienced members are no longer active here.

Instead of griping about old threads resufacing, it should be encouraged. They get people up to speed much faster.

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Interesting... It seems like the top choice in 2002 was peat moss and now the favor has shifted to coconut fiber. I think when I started caring for Ts back then, I was using peat too. Now I use a layer of vermiculite on the bottom with a thick layer of coconut fiber on top of that.

For the species that appreciate some humidity, and for accounting for the drying effects of central heating, the vermiculite holds on to enough moisture to get everything to their monthly maintenance. The coconut fiber dries out faster and they seem to prefer walking on it compared to vermiculite.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah organic is overly used, and there is no gov't regulation for such use in marketing. Your product could be full of all sorts of additives and you could label it organic

Never had a problem finding it in the past before organic was heavily
Marketed, always had a problem finding a small bag that wasn't 50lbs

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use the same thing for terrestrials as I do for arboreals; which is either cocoa fibers or peat moss.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I'd say this thread is still relevent; it's interesting to track the changes in keeper preferences.

Myself, I use coco fiber almost exclusively, with moss mixed in depending on whether or not I need to retain moisture.

Keith B

Arachnobaron
I haven't tried going back to moss for a while. My dry terrestrials that I've tried moss with seem to really dislike walking on it, totally avoiding it and staying in their hides, and seemed to get frustrated and miss prey whenever they fled to it. Mixing some gravel with the smaller Ts and small stones with the adults has been fun, cause they seem to like the sturdiness when walking around, and I even had a couple juvis separate all of the coco fiber from the stones, move the coco fiber out to make more room, and leave a sheet of stones to stand on in their burrow. It was really cool to watch.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I haven't tried going back to moss for a while. My dry terrestrials that I've tried moss with seem to really dislike walking on it, totally avoiding it and staying in their hides, and seemed to get frustrated and miss prey whenever they fled to it. Mixing some gravel with the smaller Ts and small stones with the adults has been fun, cause they seem to like the sturdiness when walking around, and I even had a couple juvis separate all of the coco fiber from the stones, move the coco fiber out to make more room, and leave a sheet of stones to stand on in their burrow. It was really cool to watch.
I concur on soft sub. When I didn't pack down the sub for my Ts, they reluctantly walked on it after remaining vertical. I've watched them walk, and they don't like soft sub based on my observations, Maybe it gives them an uncertainty when walking as they are so touch sensitive. I'd rather walk on firm surface than something soft where my feet fell into.

Keith, so they took the stones out of the fiber to move into the burrow..tha's interesting. I might experience w/that. What size are these stones, like Pea sized? What species too?