what spider would you use to guard plants from pests?

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
someone on a spicy food forum i'm a member of posted some pics of one of their pepper plants asking how to get rid of some bugs (doesn't know what kind they are and hasn't actually seen them) and i mentioned catching some spiders have letting putting them on the plants. what kind of spiders would you recommend?

i was thinking something like an orb weaver or else maybe Peucetia viridans? any suggestions?

thanks.

edit...also i'm not quite sure where this person lives, so i don't know exactly what spiders are in their area...but just kinda looking for ideas.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I think that person should first learn what kind of pests are visiting his plants. Not every spider is suited for every kind of prey I would assume, though jumping spiders are out of the question quite from the start since they'd bail out soon.

Anyway, maybe no spiders are needed at all (at least not in the traditional sense) maybe what he needs is predatory mites?

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
yea, no telling really..the person doesn't seem to have a clue what is doing it. it's been a number of days since they first posted about it, and they still haven't caught whatever it is in the act. :wall:

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
spiders are not usually good because pests out number them. things like ladybugs, or protozoa etc are generally more effective for killing pests. tehre is a wide array of biological and organic "green" methods....but to tread mealy bugs is far different from aphids, for example.

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Many people use Praying Mantids for pest control in their gardens. Ootheca of common species here in the US are readily available and very cheap.

Tom

chrispy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The pest problem is probably mites or aphids. Most predators dont do any good for these. Most ladybugs and mantis dont stay put long enough. A diluted neem oil spray will work the best and is organic. Spray oils in the evening so the sun doesnt cook the leaves.