What specific inch you can determine the sex of a T?

Arachnobornext

Arachnopeon
I've been thinking on what specific size you can tell the sex of the T. Some says 3'' but other say 4'' etc.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Depending on how good of a microscope you have, some Ts can be sexed as small as 1.5" or even 1.25". If you're talking ventral sexing, I would say perhaps 2" is possible if you have a good magnifying glass. To the naked eye... 3" would be pushing it.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
If you have a decent microscope you can tell from a small size like an inch ish. Any smaller it's really hard to manipulate the molt to get it into a position you can examine it properly

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
You can try and a lot of sizes (1+) but its much easier at around the 3in mark, I dont really bother much until that point and sometimes its not notciable/developed enough and I dont have a microscope any more.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Depending on how good of a microscope you have, some Ts can be sexed as small as 1.5" or even 1.25". If you're talking ventral sexing, I would say perhaps 2" is possible if you have a good magnifying glass. To the naked eye... 3" would be pushing it.
Some of these newer microscopes are bonkers. Can't wait for tech to improve so they get a bit cheaper. Objective prices are no joke.

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
Most of Theraphosa species and the rare Xenesthis were sexed in 2nd/3rd molt (in Germany).

If you buy here a unsexed of these species, you buy most probably a male. Best way is to buy a sexed female or 1st instar.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Depends on the type of sexing, the species you're trying to sex, and how good you are at untangling tiny moults (in the case of spermathecae sexing).

Vent sexing can generally be done accurately by eye from 2" but a cheap currency microscope makes it easier.

Spermathecae sexing can be done by eye from around 2" or so, a cheap currency microscope could get this down to about 1.5", if you have a more powerful microscope and are good at untangling tiny moults then you could sex even smaller specimens.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I've been thinking on what specific size you can tell the sex of the T. Some says 3'' but other say 4'' etc.
If you want to sex a tarantula I recommend a good usb microscope you can find on Amazon.

Forget ventral sexing it's not 100%, unless you have an adult male. Depending on species and stronger magnification on a microscope around 1.25 to 1.5 inches on the T.

Personally just wait until it's 2 to 2.5 inches.

Unless you're an established breeder that sells your stock just wait no need to rush it.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Forget ventral sexing it's not 100%, unless you have an adult male.
If someone can't accurately vent sex a Theraphosa from like 3" upwards then they're actually blind and no amount of equipment is going to help them :rofl:

Besides, I've seen enough people mistake male accessory organs for spermathecae to realise that any method of sexing is only as reliable as the person doing it.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
If someone can't accurately vent sex a Theraphosa from like 3" upwards then they're actually blind and no amount of equipment is going to help them :rofl:

Besides, I've seen enough people mistake male accessory organs for spermathecae to realise that any method of sexing is only as reliable as the person doing it.
Yes I agree it is only as reliable as the person doing it.

I would only trust an arachnologist ventral sexing as that is as good as confirming the sex of a T to me. Otherwise it's microscope to 100% sex a T if I'm buying a female, (not that I'm buying a female, not paying those prices).

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
You can sex molts from tiny slings using a microscope. But I wouldn't attempt ventral sexing with the naked eye until they're at least 2-2.5in or else you're just guessing.