What species of tarantulas are NOT in the hobby?

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
Are there any known species of tarantulas that we have not gotten into the hobby yet?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I think about Psalmopoeus victori, or, at least here, H.lightfooti, even if I suppose someone in Hungary owns those, uhm :)

Anyway only God knows how much T's are "hiding" in some "dark" corner of the world praying to be discovered for gain a V.I.P status :-s

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
There are over 900 described species, we have no where near all of them in the hobby. This site lists the described species, ones in the hobby marked (sp) (cf) etc are not recognized taxonomicaly yet so there are even more.

https://www.tarantupedia.com/

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Pretty sure Typhochlaena seladonia isn't available in the hobby.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
mind you, thats like 740 US.
Oh I'm aware. They are beautiful spiders, not sure if I'd pay that much for one though... pretty crazy how much people are willing to invest in to this hobby! But more power to them.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
What about avics, are there many avic species that have not been brought into the hobby?

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh I'm aware. They are beautiful spiders, not sure if I'd pay that much for one though... pretty crazy how much people are willing to invest in to this hobby! But more power to them.
Its a lot of money but IMO people spend lots more on things I never would. My 200 bike does me just fine and my big screen TV is probably 20 years old and I have no desire to spend money on a new one. Now if I had an extra 700 bucks to spend I am not saying I would spend it on a spider but I wouldn't have a problem if I really wanted one.

People always talk about what they would get if money were no object but for most of us money is pretty much an object so I think a better discussion would be what would you get, or how much would you spend if you just had enough to get by and a little extra. I think that's the boat most of us find ourselves in. In that case say you saved your nickles and dimes for a year and scraped up 700.00 assuming you have no pressing needs (past due bills huge debt, etc) would you spend it on a spider?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What about avics, are there many avic species that have not been brought into the hobby?
There are some localities that come and go/never appear. After the revision, we'll see how many Avics are left standing as unique "species".

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i would. its a versicolor x diversiepes x C perezmilesi.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
There are loads of species of Aphonopelma and while some of them are in the hobby, many people have no idea of which one they have got. So numerous of them aren't at least officially in the hobby. Aphonopelma mooreae is a colorful form that is much desired by many but not likely available.

Last edited:

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd love to see Poecilotheria rajaei in the hobby, but it's probably very unlikely.