What species of Poecilotheria would you say is the best?

mellow

Arachnobaron
This is the issue, they're not true communals as they're just juvies and none are adults let alone have they establish a second generation yet with no casualties. Posting videos like these will give a wrong impression.

Videos like these are more accurate on communal Poecilotheria:
I still hope that some setups might be truly successful, why do you think so many people keep trying to keep pokies communally? That was a sad video btw. 😢

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I still hope that some setups might be truly successful, why do you think so many people keep trying to keep pokies communally? That was a sad video btw. 😢
Three reasons I can think of.

1. "Observed" communally in the wild. Which anyone such as uncle bob, joe, etc. could've said it.

2. Marketing ploy to sell more.

3. Foolishness and low IQ people.

Just a bit of additional info on Pokie communal: The first reports of trying a pokie communal goes back 10 years (and a little further) and till this day, no one has solid proof of a true foundation of a pokie communal as I stated. If it has been this long and no one can prove it then I'm quite certain it's just a waste a time at this point. Unless I'm wrong, someone needs to show a true communal but even after 10(+) years there's no proof.

mellow

Arachnobaron
Three reasons I can think of.

1. "Observed" communally in the wild. Which anyone such as uncle bob, joe, etc. could've said it.

2. Marketing ploy to sell more.

3. Foolishness and low IQ people.

Just a bit of additional info on Pokie communal: The first reports of trying a pokie communal goes back 10 years (and a little further) and till this day, no one has solid proof of a true foundation of a pokie communal as I stated. If it has been this long and no one can prove it then I'm quite certain it's just a waste a time at this point. Unless I'm wrong, someone needs to show a true communal but even after 10(+) years there's no proof.
It says on Wikipedia that Poecilotheria metallica and other species of Poecilotheria may live communally when territory, i.e. the number of holes per tree, is limited.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
It says on Wikipedia that Poecilotheria metallica and other species of Poecilotheria may live communally when territory, i.e. the number of holes per tree, is limited.
Listen to Tom's most recent podcast that was about his P Met communal. He's separating them after cannibalism occurred. He has a platform and did this so you don't have to. I think people try it because they want so badly to have a bunch of spiders living together and also prove everyone else wrong. People have tried so many species and there's always some degree of cannibalism. Birdspidersch has talked about how his pokie communals involved cannibalism too. Wikipedia isn't always accurate, there is a ton of info missing on there about all kinds of spiders. They likely also cannabilize when there is limited territory in the wild.

mellow

Arachnobaron
Listen to Tom's most recent podcast that was about his P Met communal. He's separating them after cannibalism occurred. He has a platform and did this so you don't have to. I think people try it because they want so badly to have a bunch of spiders living together and also prove everyone else wrong. People have tried so many species and there's always some degree of cannibalism. Birdspidersch has talked about how his pokie communals involved cannibalism too. Wikipedia isn't always accurate, there is a ton of info missing on there about all kinds of spiders. They likely also cannabilize when there is limited territory in the wild.
That's unfortunate, i guess I just heard about some communal setups that were ok for a while but weren't truly successful in the end. Bummer.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
That's unfortunate, i guess I just heard about some communal setups that were ok for a while but weren't truly successful in the end. Bummer.
I mean most will be successful for a period of time until someone gets eaten. It could be a day, could be 2 years. Fwiw I have an M Balfouri communal I started a little over two months ago, four specimens, small slings all sacmates. Some people discouraged me but this is the only species I'd be willing to try it with and honestly its stressful because I never see them all at once

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It could have just been natural death that killed 2 out of 9 tarantula slings
Highly unlikely though.

they do have a type 3 survivorship curve
In the wild? Yes.

In captivity? Not so much.

and I understand that the dark den doesn't have the best reputation on here, but he was saying some interesting things in the video I posted, and I highly recommend you watch it.
I literally refuse to give him any more YouTube views.

why do you think so many people keep trying to keep pokies communally?
Because people read misleading information online, because people think they know something that everyone else has missed in order to make an attempt work, and because sellers constantly try to dupe people into buying "communal groups" because it's an easy way to shift a bunch of livestock at once and still make a profit.

Literally anyone can edit a Wikipedia article so it's not a reliable source of information.

Also, being forced to live in close proximity due to environmental factors =/= communal.

ErikElvis

Newb
I don’t know the name but the one that’s gray, black, with yellow always catches my eye. I have a Metallica but haven’t seen him in a week.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Im working with four species right now. For me, the best to work with has been regalis. My big female is probably the most laid back tarantula I have. Metallica is gorgeous, but really photosensitive and can be a bit bolty. My female rufilata is probably the fastest tarantula I own, which is really impressive given her size. Finally, I never see my subfusca LL female, but her feeding response is amazing. I can hear her tackle lateralis from my living room.

On the issue of being communal, they're not. They are just extremely tolerant of each other in small, tight spaces, much like crocodilians. Once they have enough space to start setting up individual territories, or once an individual with a higher prey drive gets a few molts ahead, predation starts and you're left with one or two fat, happy tarantulas. A lot of people have attempted communals and almost all have failed in the end. The few that I have seen that succeeded for any length of time required extremely small enclosures and limited hides. At that point though, you have to wonder about the health of the animals and the constant stress they are exposed to from being in contact with each other and the lack of a hide. Not worth it IMO, just get balfouri's if you want to keep more than one tarantula in an enclosure and want success, not stress.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Are you sure that they are not communal? I personally wouldn't try keeping them communally, but I have heard of several people keeping them communally with much success, kind of like Poecilotheria metallica communal enclosures.
I don't think any T is communal. Too many stories of 5 enter, only 1 leaves. With the size of adult A rufilata I can't imagine how big of a set up you would need. If one is kept in a 12 x 12 x 18 enclosure 5 would need 60 x 60 x 90. As others have said, people have been trying for years, I am yet to see one where the adults survive to breed succesful generations.

Last edited:

Jess S

Arachnobaron
From what I've seen personally and also heard from others, P metallica's at least (and probably other species; regalis comes to mind) will tolerate each other (providing they are well fed), up to around 4" then you are likely to get cannibalism.

Marks Tarantulas experienced this in one of his communals (can't remember the species, may have been vittata) and said that they also seemed to wait for one to be moulting. Soon as it was on its back and vulnerable, it would be killed, not even eaten in some cases.

People who keep slings through to sub adult communally, do so to experience faster growth rate. I personally think (though I'm sure many would disagree) that while they are communal you may have slightly less skittish pokies, as they are used to continual movement going on around them, plus they tend to bunch up together for security when they hide and feel safer like that. However, when they are separated into their individual enclosures, I'm sure that benefit will be quickly lost and they will just revert back to normal solitary behaviour.

PoeciIotheria

Pokie Collector
They're all beautiful and once you make a choice and pick your own I'm sure you will learn to love it because it is YOUR pokie..However, my favorite has to be tied between P. miranda and P. metallica. I am just totally infatuated by both of them. Subfusca is a runner up.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
there are certain pokies that cohabitate with certain frogs in tree crevasses. i would try that long before I'd put 2 pokies together