what species of Lycosa is this???

Netherland

Arachnopeon

I found this 1 and a half centimeter Lycosa sp inside a box of bananas at my work, the bananas came from Colombia.
I've got this sp for a few months now, it eating and i keep the humidity round 80.

Last edited:

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is a Trochosa sp., not Lycosa. See those two parallel black bars inside of the wider light-colored stripe down the middle of the carapace (visible in the 2nd picture)? Those are typical for this genus; also, the heart mark on the abdomen and the light-colored submarginal bands around the edges of the carapace are also common. According to the World Spider Catalog there are at least three species in Columbia: T. magdalenensis, T. tenebrosa, and T. tenella.

However, there are also several species native to Europe and some of them look like yours, so you shouldn't rule out the possibility that this is a local spider that somehow got into the bananas before they got to you.

Here's a female T. terricola from Alberta, Canada that you can compare with yours (this species is also found in Europe):

Here's a closeup of another female under alcohol with a better look at the markings on the carapace (sometimes these are hard to see in mature spiders, because some of the the hairs may have rubbed off):

They're beautiful spiders and make good pets. Give her some soil and something to hide under.

Last edited:

Netherland

Arachnopeon
Thanks, now at least I now what I've got in my house as new pet!
I was looking a lot of websites and gather information. sometimes I thought that I was realy close(looking under the name Lycosa...) cuz much of Lycosa sp looked like this Trochosa sp. :wall:
I dont think this one came from Europe, because the bananas are packed in huge plastic bags and then put in a box and then shipped from Colombia staight to Antwerp(Belgium). And from Antwerp straight to my work(Deventer, Netherlands). but maybe i'm wrong, and this little spider sneaked into the bananas.
best regards!

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
excellent pics from both of you!

Netherland, congrats on your new pet! :clap:

jsloan, thank you for sharing some invaluable info, and your pics help a great deal. :)

S.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Fabulous information from all sources, it's much appreciated.

Once I saw the thread and photos, I was def. right along with "jsloan" whom is very knowledgeable with True spiders soo, I'm sure the ID is correct along with ALL the information provided. :)

THANKS again for the information and photos!! and of course, Congrats! :]

Netherland

Arachnopeon
@Silberrücken,
thanks! its a fast little spider:D

@jsloan,
and again, thank you for this info!

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks, now at least I now what I've got in my house as new pet!
I was looking a lot of websites and gather information. sometimes I thought that I was realy close(looking under the name Lycosa...) cuz much of Lycosa sp looked like this Trochosa sp. :wall:
I dont think this one came from Europe, because the bananas are packed in huge plastic bags and then put in a box and then shipped from Colombia staight to Antwerp(Belgium). And from Antwerp straight to my work(Deventer, Netherlands). but maybe i'm wrong, and this little spider sneaked into the bananas.
best regards!
And before they go into the bags, they hang in a sort of "gas chamber" to ripe, after this they are plunged into large pool, often with insecticides. After this they are packed in plastic bags and boxed per 18.16 kilo. Then they travel to Europe and still living things come out, LOL!
I have worked for 10 years as a salesman of exotic fruits on markets in Holland, when I was younger...Alas I know more about bananas than about true spiders, lol, sorry :)

Netherland

Arachnopeon
haha. true. A couple of months earlier I saw 10 dead Panchlora nivea. And some other roaches, some of them still alive. but also dead lizzards, little beetles and other ''bugs''

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I once found a rather big dead lizard in a box of pine apples and some spiders from bananaboxes, but regretfully not much more :)