What species katydid?

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I found small katydids in Massachusetts in a field of tall grass. They were light green with a black stripe going down their body. They had what appeared to be tiny wing stubs, and the females ovipositer was curved like a cats nail, and was also green. I dont know if they were adults or nymphs?

This is the closest picture I could find of what they look like, but this one has no wings?

Last edited:

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was reading, it could be some sort of grasshopper. Still I havent found exactly what it it?

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I guess i've stumped the Arachnoboards community! Guess it will always be a mystery then.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's definitely an immature Conocephalus, the meadow katydids. The curved ovipositor puts it in the genus Orchelimum, the greater meadow katydids. Based on the picture and your description, plus the time of year and location I'm almost certain it was O. vulgare, the Common Meadow Katydid.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That seems like it, guess their not one of the large species but what an interesting call they have.

The only thing that doesnt add up is that they mature late July, I was finding early instar nymphs first week in July, mabye that has to do with the crazy weather were getting this year.

Thanks for your help.