What Species Is This?

SexSymbol

Banned Duplicate Account
I want to know the latin name of this scorpion that I got today. It is 3/4 inches. THanks.

Attachments

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Looks a bit like a Hottentotta...Dave...what do you think?

John
];')

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Could be. Could also be Vaejovis. Does it have ridges on its chela, Jacen?

Cheers,
Dave

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Probably not Vaejovid then. Most likely Hottentotta if you got it through conventional circles.

Cheers,
Dave

SexSymbol

Banned Duplicate Account
I got it from the pet store that I buy most of my inverts from. The owner got it from his dealer for free and he didnt know what kind it was because he forgot to ask. I am too eager to know to wait till tomorrow to find out. Thanks a lot Dave. Much appreciated.

Andrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
answer

hi guys cool scorpion to me it sorta looks like a buthis occitanus or a buthis arrencola my spelling :?

Jacen

Banned Duplicate Account
I found out from the store manager that it is indeed a Hottentotta. INteresting. What should I know about this?

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
As far as venom is concerned its a bit on the hot side. As to keeping conditions it's a desert species but I'll let Dave give you that info as he is the one who has experience with this species. ID'ing your scorp to more than species is quite difficult as Dave will attest to.

John
];')

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I feel like I've been pimped. :)

Conditions are like any desert scorpion. Sand works as a substrate -- mixed with ammendments if you want. I haven't noticed a great deal of burrowing activity with any of mine, though they readily accept artificial hides. Provide a small amount of standing water. Room humidity is more than ample.

IDing it down the species is something best left to the professionals -- once they've actualy figured it out. There is at least one professional taxonomist working on it now.

Venom-wise, John is right in that it is a little on the hot side. I wouldn't generally recommend handling -- though for you, Jacen, I recommend you place it in your mouth on a daily basis. See how far down your throat you can get stung. ;)

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Now now Dave behave...Jacen is behaving as well...no need to insight riots, etc. :D

As to the pimping...I'm a Scorp Pimp/Arachno Jester what ever.

John
];')

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
H. polystictus as far as appearances go and my opinion. I can't seem to get any papers for exact descriptions myself. Great pic. I'll check back when it's +ly IDed.

adios

Last edited:

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
I feel like I've been pimped. :)

Conditions are like any desert scorpion. Sand works as a substrate -- mixed with ammendments if you want. I haven't noticed a great deal of burrowing activity with any of mine, though they readily accept artificial hides. Provide a small amount of standing water. Room humidity is more than ample.

IDing it down the species is something best left to the professionals -- once they've actualy figured it out. There is at least one professional taxonomist working on it now.

Venom-wise, John is right in that it is a little on the hot side. I wouldn't generally recommend handling -- though for you, Jacen, I recommend you place it in your mouth on a daily basis. See how far down your throat you can get stung. ;)

Cheers,
Dave
FUnny joke...bite me.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Kugellager
Now now Dave behave...Jacen is behaving as well...no need to insight riots, etc. :D
Yeah, you're right, John. Sorry Jacen.

Cheers,
Dave