WHAT SPECIES IS THIS? LARIZ? *M & F pics*

T

Tarantula

This is either a Haplopelma sp. or Cyriopagopus paganus. What is it? They have mated constantly for the past few weeks so I expect her to gimme an eggsac but I wanna know what species for sure. I bet Lariz Will know.

Attachments

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Looks like what we've been getting as H. longipedum, aka C. paganus.

bill

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yep, what Bill said above. There seems to be a good degree of color variation in this species. Some have some heavy striping, while some do not.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Tarantula
This is either a Haplopelma sp. or Cyriopagopus paganus. What is it? They have mated constantly for the past few weeks so I expect her to gimme an eggsac but I wanna know what species for sure. I bet Lariz Will know.
Hmmm, she looks a little rough around the edges man. Have you been keeping the male communally with the female? You know, like how some people do with Avics...:rolleyes:

Atrax

T

Tarantula

No I would never do that. I think she must just look bad in the picture because she is in great shape and a beautiful tarantula. The male on th other hand is gangly, much smaller and he never eats so his abdomen never varies in size much.

T

Tarantula

HEre is another picture of her that was taken a few weeks ago. I think it is much better than the other one.

Attachments

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oops, didnt see the last reply before mine. In that pic, it looks more like a H.Minax.

-e-

T

Tarantula

I know for sure that the male and the female are from the same species. Not only do they readily mate whenever they can but I am told by the breeder they come from the same mother. I am inbreeding.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know for sure that the male and the female are from the same species. Not only do they readily mate whenever they can but I am told by the breeder they come from the same mother. I am inbreeding.
It has always been my understanding, that males of the same eggsac as a female, will have already died before the females have become reproductive?

Jon

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I see :)
Well, dont take my word for it then, im still relatively new at this T naming bit :)... I would suggest getting advice from the veterans here. Ill check in once innawhile.

cheers!
-e-

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
It has always been my understanding, that males of the same eggsac as a female, will have already died before the females have become reproductive?

Jon

That is not always so. I have personally seen instances where males that were kept at lower temps. and fed less ( not neglected) matured later than their female counterparts. It is also mentioned in The Tarantula Keeper's Guide by Schultz and Schultz.

John

Last edited:
T

Tarantula

Jon
THey arent from the same eggsac. THe female was born way before the male was from a separate eggsac. The male is relatively young and the female is a few years old.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
THey arent from the same eggsac. THe female was born way before the male was from a separate eggsac. The male is relatively young and the female is a few years old.
Oops! My bad. Well it looks like paganus/longipendum to me.

Jon

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer

Jon
As others have commented, this isn't always so. Back in the very early 90's when there weren't hardly any P. fasciata around, I bred what I highly suspected to be siblings (yes, I know) and produced a 75-spider eggsace that was healthy (I reared 5 of them to adulthood and they showed full colors).

Anyway, I got both as 1.5" spiderlings from Europe. The female was a little on the smallish side when the male matured, but she still produced a nice batch, all things considered.

bill