what species is this(giant millipede)?

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
last year i kept this... i just bought this millipede as a name of 'giant millipede' at a petshop in seoul, korea.

i guess that it's something except for african giant black and fire millipede(madagascar giant millipede).

let me know of the correct species including scientific name please..

-locke

Last edited:

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What size is the millipede?

The bumblee bee milli's Padkison has a pic of I believe are from the Carribean and do not get very large, maybe an Anadenobolus spp.

I dont think thats what this is. past that I cant be of any help :eek:

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What size is the millipede?

The bumblee bee milli's Padkison has a pic of I believe are from the Carribean and do not get very large, maybe an Anadenobolus spp.

I dont think thats what this is. past that I cant be of any help :eek:
size of the millipede in the picture is about 12.5cm(1"=2.54cm)

i think it's a juvenile or subadult. i heard it's one of big species of giant millipedes.

and its maximum size for an adult is 8" ~ 10".

-locke

jerome

Arachnopeon
Hi syiware,

your millipede looks like to Orthoporus ornatus... What others peoples think ?

Bye,
Jérome

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi syiware,

your millipede looks like to Orthoporus ornatus... What others peoples think ?

Bye,
Jérome
thanks. as you said, i want to hear other people's opinion too.

-locke

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Looks like a couple of my Orthoporus ornatus. This species is highly variable in color.

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like a couple of my Orthoporus ornatus. This species is highly variable in color.

oh, thanks.. nice picture.. many arachnopeons say about Orthoporus ornatus. i agree with you guys. thanks a lot for your concern! have a nice day.

-locke

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Orthoporus ornatus dont get 8-10 inches tho do they? i dont recall ever seeing them that big

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
oh, really? how would it be bigger as an adult millipede? anyway thanks..
-locke
I haven’t messed with them recently but it seems 4-6" is more accurate length estimate

The 12.5 cm is average for Orthoporus ornatus I would say. But you said they told you it got 8-10 inches and that seems really too large to me. I doubt that any have his 8" let alone 10" even a 7" one would be pretty big id think..... I mean for Orthoporus ornatus
But it does look like one

Last edited:

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
O. ornatus will not get anywhere close to 8 or 10 inches, if it is this species and it is 12.5 cm, I doubt it will get too much larger.

however I am not convinced it is this species or not.....I have no clue really but It really seems odd to me that an american species would be imported to Korea, when much larger and showier species are available.

just my 2 cents.

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
O. ornatus will not get anywhere close to 8 or 10 inches, if it is this species and it is 12.5 cm, I doubt it will get too much larger.

however I am not convinced it is this species or not.....I have no clue really but It really seems odd to me that an american species would be imported to Korea, when much larger and showier species are available.

just my 2 cents.
thanks for your concern! but i really bought this-size(12.5cm) millipede as a juvenile of a giant millipede at a petshop in seoul, korea. the shop man said it would grow up to 8~10" as one of the biggest giant millipedes in the world. but i'm very curious at this. what about the others' ideas? say any idea of yours, then i'll listen. -locke

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ok i just picked up 3 supposedly AGB millipedes and one looks just like this one!!! so it may well be one of them