What Species Do You Think is Most Commonly Sought After By Many Hobbyists?

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Just for the sake of a relatable story, let's imagine my name was Kenneth Bugguy (not Macneil, Bugguy). I owned a small tarantula business in the U.S. and profits were extremely high. I had all the Pokies and Avics available, chromatopelma, Nhandu, many Theraphosas, and feeder roaches. After a while, business became slow. What should I, Kenneth Bugguy, restock with to get the most new customers?

P.S.
This has nothing to do with KenTheBugGuy, I just wanted a good laugh.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
T. blondi.....M. balfouri maybe... Xenesthis immanis
Off my experience only: None of these are good sellers. Pursued, maybe. Looked at? Yes. Desired? yes. At most, if you set up at a show, these will help you sell other spiders.

Avics, curly-hairs, and pokies seem to be the best sellers around here. Roseas? Everybody has one. Curly hairs are adorable, easy, and are still somewhat unique. Avics have cool pink tennis shoes. Pokies...haven't met anyone that doesn't like them. Many are readily affordable, so many people buy them. It's all in cost. If it costs too much, like a M. balfouri or P. metallica, nobody will buy it. VERY FEW people are even willing to dish out that kind of dough...much less on an invert. Things that cost under $30 is what MOST people are looking for. A few more will go up to $70 once exposed to the hobby, and then may go up to $100 for a certain T. Few...very few ever spend $120+.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Off my experience only: None of these are good sellers. Pursued, maybe. Looked at? Yes. Desired? yes. At most, if you set up at a show, these will help you sell other spiders.

It's all in cost. If it costs too much, like a M. balfouri or P. metallica, nobody will buy it. VERY FEW people are even willing to dish out that kind of dough...much less on an invert. Things that cost under $30 is what MOST people are looking for. A few more will go up to $70 once exposed to the hobby, and then may go up to $100 for a certain T. Few...very few ever spend $120+.
I would agree with this line of thought.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Sounds like a question you might have to ask yourself. :p

But i would mainly try to get more Ts that are rare or classic but docile. Most new people to the hobby dont want something thats skittish with potent venom. There are exceptions, everyone has different taste.

There are alot of NW Ts i would consider a must have. Especialy Avics! A variety of Avics! :drool: They are very appealing to those that are somewhat nervous around Ts. They are fuzzy, who doesnt like them? :embarrassed:

I would also try to stick to keeping a large stock of classic NW terrestrials that have large sacks. Keeping the price fair and stock high for a variety package of 1.5-2" specimens.

People that are new want to experience raising a baby but dont want to wait for adult colors or risk them dying. This is just my "customer review" and desire when i first started out in the hobby. The classics are the best deal for both parties IMO. Most the time they take a long time to mature so its not like everyone who gets them is going to breed them.(not easily) Only the people that are willing to hold onto 100s if not thousands of slings. Not many people are up for the challenge or have the time. If you look at Kens list he has alot of stock in hobby staples. If we didnt have them where would the hobby be? :}

Last edited:

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon

Avics, curly-hairs, and pokies seem to be the best sellers around here. Roseas? Everybody has one. Curly hairs are adorable, easy, and are still somewhat unique. Avics have cool pink tennis shoes. Pokies...haven't met anyone that doesn't like them. Many are readily affordable, so many people buy them. It's all in cost. If it costs too much, like a M. balfouri or P. metallica, nobody will buy it. VERY FEW people are even willing to dish out that kind of dough...much less on an invert. Things that cost under $30 is what MOST people are looking for. A few more will go up to $70 once exposed to the hobby, and then may go up to $100 for a certain T. Few...very few ever spend $120+.
I agree. Cause well I was in that situation, not that I or they don't want to buy the expensive one, There are other needs that come before the expensive spider.
I would sell the cheaper ones.

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
I agree with you.. Im new to the hobby and for the next few years I will only be getting Ts under about $30. I am going to need a lot more experience before I even try something that price. One spider I was excited about was the LPs because they are pretty cheap and get so big. I bought a versicolor off paul for my mom and everyone we show off our spiders to seem to like that one the best. Also, my 2 year old son LOVES that show.. Im not sure what he likes best.. the bugs or the fact that there is a girl his age who also likes bugs lol.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
I agree with you.. Im new to the hobby and for the next few years I will only be getting Ts under about $30. I am going to need a lot more experience before I even try something that price. One spider I was excited about was the LPs because they are pretty cheap and get so big. I bought a versicolor off paul for my mom and everyone we show off our spiders to seem to like that one the best. Also, my 2 year old son LOVES your show.. Im not sure what he likes best.. the bugs or the fact that there is a girl his age who also like bugs lol.
Sorry, I'm not KenTheBugGuy. I said, it was just for humor. Although, he is on this site. Look for the username called- KenTheBugGuy. He has a picture of an A. Minatrix as his avatar.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
And cue facepalm! Why would you use that as an example? You must have known it would cause confusion to new people.. It's not even that funny, tell you the truth..

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And cue facepalm! Why would you use that as an example? You must have known it would cause confusion to new people.. It's not even that funny, tell you the truth..
I agree. this thread made me:?:?:? :wall::wall::wall: That said,I would say the most sought after are Avicularia,especially versicolors. They are ALWAYS in HIGH demand.Then of course,brachys are always in pretty high demand as well..

mike w

Arachnopeon
I think you need to target the new hobbiest. Brachypelmas and Pokies are both great beginner T's.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
NW:
G. pulchra, G. pulchripes, GBB, B. smithi, B. albopilosum, LP, A. versicolor, C. fasciatum, PZB, P. cancerides, P. irminia

OW:
H. lividum, P. regalis and others, OBT.

That's what I would sell at least.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, you'd look at whats available in petshops, because most people who end up starting out buy their first T' there (unless they did research) and then when it flips over on its back they think its dead and come here... :eek: