what sling??

Midnight1983

Arachnopeon
Yo, my T's so far are all sub adults or adults so I thought I'd try a sling.
Problem is I'm kinda spoilt for choice :rolleyes:

I'm looking for a terrestrial species, that grows fast, but not too big (between 6 - 9" when matured), with nice colouration (when matured), that's not particularly aggressive, a good display T (perhaps a web spinner), and perhaps something that has a certain 'aaah' factor (to keep my gfriend sweet).

Any ideas??

Peace
Carl:)

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How about a C. cyaneopubescens? Mine arrived yesterday and is 3cm. Its gorgeous with the black and orange abdomen and golden coloured carapace. Its also very active and is already webbing. Its fast but not aggressive. I dropped a cricket in the tub and it was grabbed within about 3 seconds lol. A very cool T and a real change from my Brachy's and Gramm's.

Elaine

ratz00

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Another suggestion would be Acanthoscuria geniculata or giant white knee. I bought mine in January this year at .5 cm LS, it now sports a 3 inch LS. It only burrows as a sling mine stopped burrowing when it turned Juvie or about an inch. Its quite docile but a tad skittish. Can grow up to 8-9 inches in LS.

here's my Genic at 1 inch...

here's my friend Flare's sub adult genic....

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Another suggestion would be Acanthoscuria geniculata or giant white knee. I bought mine in January this year at .5 cm LS, it now sports a 3 inch LS. It only burrows as a sling mine stopped burrowing when it turned Juvie or about an inch. Its quite docile but a tad skittish. Can grow up to 8-9 inches in LS.

here's my Genic at 1 inch...

here's my friend Flare's sub adult genic....
That is a really nice Genic, congrats, I hope mine grow as your, my a genic is about 1 cm now. :D

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ohh and I would recommend you an Acanthoscurria Geniculata too, is a fast growing T and a very aggressive eater of course with very good display. Although a Brachypelma sp. would be fine to. (some bohemei, smithi or emilia these are really beauties) :D

Last edited:

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I agree, except for the docile part. Mine attacks every moving object that enters its cage.

Many thanks to the innocent brown string for his generous self-sacrificing help. This could've been my finger. :D
But yes, they fit everything else you're looking for. Nice large full-grown size at 8", excellent for display as they're almost always out in the open, beautiful contrasting black-and-white with red hairs, and they have a great appetite and grow fast. And of course, the "ahh" factor is very high; they love to pounce. ;)

Last edited:

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ya A. geniculata is probably the best choice for the criteria you described (although I don't see any for sale in your area!!)

There's some cool Grammostola species that float around europe, mollicoma, inheringi, etc...those are super cool looking and can grow 14-18cm, but aren't as fast growing as Acanthoscurria species, but are comparably much more docile.

-=ICM=-

edit: http://www.tarantulabarn.co.uk/shop/ has some tiny tiny geniculatas for sale.

Last edited:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Either a GBB or a genic would be a good choice, just keep in mind that both are termed "semi aggressive". My male GBB was a sweetheart, and my immature male genic is grumpy, but not nasty.
You could lower your standards a bit and make it easier as well. Something that meets all of your expectations except fast growth would be just about any of the brachys. Smithi, emilia, boehmei, are all very pretty, but don't grow real fast.
If you want to forget about terrestrial, any of the avics are really pretty, and usually grow fast. Your girlfriend would doubtless be impressed with a cute little blue versi sling, or a beautiful A. purpurea.
Out of everything you said you want, a GBB could do it for you, they are however, very fast, and I've heard of some that had a bit more attitude than you may be looking for. You would have a hard time, in my humble opinion, finding anything else that comes even close to the beauty of a mature GBB for anything close to a reasonable price.