What should i put in empty tank?

tarantula71

Arachnopeon
Hello, I have an empty 17 x 13.5 (L x H) in. reptile tank I'm planning to use for scorpions. I want a communal setup. I'm not a big fan of Emps or Asian forests. I was thinking R. Garridoi, but it's hard to find. Do you have ideas on what I should put in there? And how many specimens can i keep?

tarantula71

Arachnopeon
that species is nice, but I don't think my parents would let me keep the deadliest scorpion in the US in the house.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
It is the deadliest, but it wouldn't kill you. It would definitly hurt like no other, but other than that, I don't believe they are "put you in the hospital" dangerous. Someone who actually has them will probably chime in about that ;) Another alternative is C. gracilis. They are the biggest in the genus, communal, and have uite a few cool color morphs. Also aren't as venemous as sculpturatus. Love my new pair, just keep them semi moist with a lot of bark and sub adults- adults can live happily together. They also seem to explore often, my female is out roaming a lot :D

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@tarantula71 they are the most potent in the US but they are not lethal unless you are allergic to the venom. A sting would be unpleasant but far from fatal.

That being said there is no reason you would ever be stung if you do your research and set up the enclosure properly.

Someone in my house is arachnophobic but knows that I have taken every precaution to avoid escapes and does not question my judgement on my set ups and is okay with my collection being present.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
It is the deadliest, but it wouldn't kill you. It would definitly hurt like no other, but other than that, I don't believe they are "put you in the hospital" dangerous. Someone who actually has them will probably chime in about that ;) Another alternative is C. gracilis. They are the biggest in the genus, communal, and have uite a few cool color morphs. Also aren't as venemous as sculpturatus. Love my new pair, just keep them semi moist with a lot of bark and sub adults- adults can live happily together. They also seem to explore often, my female is out roaming a lot :D

Hate to Bump an Older post, but stumbled on this while looking for other posts about people keeping Centruroides sculpturatus(bark scorpions) and figured i would just drop my 2 cents(don't know if anybody here is even still interested in hearing it)

But as for the sting, not only is it far from fatal(excluding a major allergic reaction without a Epi-pen or medical support near by) but are not even that painful compared so many other types of Inverts commonly kept.
i currently have a communal set up of 8 of these guys(ranging from a small specimen of ~.75" to full grown females almost 3.5-4")
and have been stung a few times here and there from them, mostly during re-arranging their enclosure. it doesn't hurt all that much(throbbing and burning in the sting site) but other then that with some ice and a basic anti-inflammatory it went away in a day. there was some Acheing in the area that lasted for a few days(my finger the first time, my wrist the second two)

but honestly, despite what most people think and the "hype" behind them, they are not all that bad.
and to behonest of the inverts and scorpions I've owned, they are usually the last to sting. they would rather dart away and struggle then sting(unless clearly in a life-or-death situation like being stepped on).

honestly as far as safety and pain wise, they are far less worry some then most of the more unCommon T's out there(OBT's, Pokies, H. macs, ETC).
mostly because with there size, the mechanics of how they sting, and the fact that they just don't jump at you lol.

But if you ever change your mind, they are wonderful in communal set ups.

heres a quick pick of 5/8 of mine in the top corner of my set up(currently in a 10g awaiting me to finish the desert vivarium I'm setting up in a 20 long)

Attachments

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Hate to Bump an Older post, but stumbled on this while looking for other posts about people keeping Centruroides sculpturatus(bark scorpions) and figured i would just drop my 2 cents(don't know if anybody here is even still interested in hearing it)

But as for the sting, not only is it far from fatal(excluding a major allergic reaction without a Epi-pen or medical support near by) but are not even that painful compared so many other types of Inverts commonly kept.
i currently have a communal set up of 8 of these guys(ranging from a small specimen of ~.75" to full grown females almost 3.5-4")
and have been stung a few times here and there from them, mostly during re-arranging their enclosure. it doesn't hurt all that much(throbbing and burning in the sting site) but other then that with some ice and a basic anti-inflammatory it went away in a day. there was some Acheing in the area that lasted for a few days(my finger the first time, my wrist the second two)

but honestly, despite what most people think and the "hype" behind them, they are not all that bad.
and to behonest of the inverts and scorpions I've owned, they are usually the last to sting. they would rather dart away and struggle then sting(unless clearly in a life-or-death situation like being stepped on).

honestly as far as safety and pain wise, they are far less worry some then most of the more unCommon T's out there(OBT's, Pokies, H. macs, ETC).
mostly because with there size, the mechanics of how they sting, and the fact that they just don't jump at you lol.

But if you ever change your mind, they are wonderful in communal set ups.

heres a quick pick of 5/8 of mine in the top corner of my set up(currently in a 10g awaiting me to finish the desert vivarium I'm setting up in a 20 long)
IME, my pair of C. gracilis are avid stingers. If they sense anything that touches or disturbs them, they fling their tails wildly trying to sting what's bothering them. I have contemplated trying to hold them, but their venom can be bad. Also, (I believe) C. sculpturatus are the most lethal in America. Definitly not going to kill you, but some have experienced a lot of pain. Really want to keep sculpuratus myself, they seem great :D Yours look awesome, post pics of your 20 when you're done. Those are some of the best communal scorps out there ;)

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
IME, my pair of C. gracilis are avid stingers. If they sense anything that touches or disturbs them, they fling their tails wildly trying to sting what's bothering them. I have contemplated trying to hold them, but their venom can be bad. Also, (I believe) C. sculpturatus are the most lethal in America. Definitly not going to kill you, but some have experienced a lot of pain. Really want to keep sculpuratus myself, they seem great :D Yours look awesome, post pics of your 20 when you're done. Those are some of the best communal scorps out there ;)
i know what you mean with the C. gracilis haha, mine used to do the same, and same for any of the Heterometrus spinifer i have, if they even think I'm close, they try to immediately grab and sting.

but for some reason the C. sculpturatus don't seem to have a very defensive attitude to them.
in fact, at least with my bunch, from what I've noticed unless you are purposefully doing something that could kill them, or literally grabbing them by the tail, they almost never openly attack with it. more times then not they flatten out and run(and they are pretty quick when they need to be)

plus with their small size and in a big enough set up its a lot harder to accidentally brush them with a hand then say, a H. spinifer or P. Imperator.

But so far they truly have been an amazing communal species, and quickly becoming one of my favorite species of any invert I've owned. Great communally, great eaters and literally the easiest thing to keep alive. literally just drop in some crickets, of literally any size(I've seen the smallest in the bunch, barely 1", kill and eat a full adult with its wings) and i like to heavily spray the enclosure about once every week or two(usually do this when it actually rains in my area, to keep it as natural as possible. and the amount of my spraying i co-enside with the amount of rain we got that day)
which is probably my favorite thing about them. when i do spray the enclosure, they all come running out into the open middle and keep their little arms raised up towards the sky and run around in circles like they are dancing or something.
normally any other invert i has will shy away from the Water if they happen to get sprayed but these guys literally rush to the source of it.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Both C sculpturatus and gracilus are excellent recommendations. Another to consider is C hentzi. Cute little guys that are great communals. Overlooked at times probably because they are little.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Both C sculpturatus and gracilus are excellent recommendations. Another to consider is C hentzi. Cute little guys that are great communals. Overlooked at times probably because they are little.
very true.
To be completely honest I've wanted to try a set up with some Leiurus quinquestriatus. i don't know if they can even live communally, and there are not too many people that have them or have even tried it but, theresa shop around where i live that just got about ~40 of them in and I'm kinda tempted to pickup a few.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I've never kept those so I'm not sure if they are communal or not. I'll leave that advice to the experts. I do know that it is very aggressive and deadly and I would be irresponsible to at least not apprise you of that. A scorpion called a DeathStalker is no joke.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
I've never kept those so I'm not sure if they are communal or not. I'll leave that advice to the experts. I do know that it is very aggressive and deadly and I would be irresponsible to at least not apprise you of that. A scorpion called a DeathStalker is no joke.
oh i know that, I've been doing a fair amount of research on them, which is where i came to the conclusion that not a whole lot of people really do keep them.

i don't see their venom as a huge problem, as i don't plan to get stung(hopefully).
normally I'm extremely careful with any invert i keep, wether its a T, Scorpion, millepede or what have you, with the only exception really being my Barks. and thats more so just from having the experience of living here in AZ and dealing with them since i was a kid, I've been stung plenty of times before keeping them as a hobby, so I've had the experience to know how my body reacts with them(though i still try to avoid it as much as possible, especially now that i keep them and they are not just things i find in my shoes or on my walls lol)

but yea, deathstalkers are in a whole different level of hcwnom then anything i currently own, and for good reason haha.