What should I know before getting a tarantula

The Amazing Me

Arachnopeon
I would like to know what should I know before getting a tarantula pariticularly a GBB, or Chaclodes and curly hair in general

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I mean... what else do you need to know? o_O We've given you a solid knowledge set. Did you need clarification on something, or more information on a topic? If you narrow it down, I know that we'd be more than willing to give you advice. "What you need to know" is paragraphs worth of information, no one wants to type all of that out just to see what sticks.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ok, I will help you :-s

- Cash for buy a juve/adult female one (yeah I will cover in a very spartan, down to earth way, adults now)

- a bit large KK, cheap as hell, is fine. Don't get mad too much for enclosures. I've said "a bit large", no need for 10/20/50 gallon stuff, nor arboreal taller enclosures.

- a piece of cork bark for hide IMO is always top notch but if you can't, at least one of those Exo's sort of caves.
Not really needed now for A.chalcodes and B.albopilosum, but you can add a couple of fake leaves if you want. Bone dry substrate. A water dish (always full) is enough for the humidity adults specimen require.

Same for the 'GBB', just add a lot of anchor points. Done.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
LOL, we are giving the OP grief about posting lots of the same threads but we have tons of Petco threads and OMG they didn't learn anything before they got a pet threads and they get the thumbs up.

I guess you just have to find a hot keeper rage topic if you want to make redundant posts OP. :D

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
LOL, we are giving the OP grief about posting lots of the same threads but we have tons of Petco threads and OMG they didn't learn anything before they got a pet threads and they get the thumbs up.
Glad to see I'm not the only one sick of Petco threads...
But I'm really not trying to be rude, I'm just not sure what else needs to be said. It's like saying "Can someone explain algebra to me?" ... well, what part?

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Like trenor said, super easy pets to care for.

Out of those 3, it's as simple as keeping the water dish full, and feeding an appropriate sized (slightly smaller than the abdomen or around the same size of the carapace) prey item once a week/once every 1.5 to 2 weeks for the chalcodes. As for the enclosure, 3x the DLS (diagonal leg span) for the length, 2x the DLS for width , and no more than 1.5-2x the DLS of height above the substrate. A suitable hide slightly buried down in the substrate for the B. albo & A. chalcodes, and the same for the GBB, but add some anchor points for webbing like mentioned above by Chris. That's it.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm sorry im so nervous I'd make a mistake
Listen, if you are that nervous, then don't get one, case closed, or see a psychologist to assuage your fears.

I truly believe that if someone has never owned a pet on their own, ie, owning a pet that one's parents took care of, is not owning a pet, then they shouldn't be getting a tarantula.

Your question is no different than before, what more are you looking for?

This question you wrote is not helpful to the reader or you because you have already asked it.

Do not get a GBB.

The Amazing Me

Arachnopeon
Listen, if you are that nervous, then don't get one, case closed, or see a psychologist to assuage your fears.

I truly believe that if someone has never owned a pet on their own, ie, owning a pet that one's parents took care of, is not owning a pet, then they shouldn't be getting a tarantula.

Your question is no different than before, what more are you looking for?

This is question you wrote is not helpful to the reader because you have already asked it.

Do not get a GBB.
I have kept a gecko and a hamster still have them. How much do they eat and how much do they need cleaned

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have kept a gecko and a hamster still have them. How much do they eat and how much do they need cleaned
I love geckos! What kind?? I've owned a hamster too!

I believe you asked both of those questions before...no?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Glad to see I'm not the only one sick of Petco threads...
But I'm really not trying to be rude, I'm just not sure what else needs to be said. It's like saying "Can someone explain algebra to me?" ... well, what part?
I just took his post to be... I'm new and excited. Like the kid that's just learning how cool math is and he doesn't know which questions to ask for specifics yet. He wants to participate with everyone but he just doesn't know more than this small piece so that's what he goes with.

No worries man, I was calling out anyone, I'm just amused at which topics are fine to over post on and which are not. :D

I could post an "I'm outraged" thread about one of the hot topics several times a week and no one would care. A ton of people would hop in the outrage train (choo choo) and my like count would soar. While a new person who creates a few extra threads in his excitement on something new gets grief.

Again, this is just me being amused. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I asked on housing I have a robo dwarf hamster and a leopard gecko
If you can competently take care of a leopard gecko on your own, you can handle a tarantula. Ts are somewhat tidy like Lep gex too.

Ts eat more frequently when they are smaller, and less so when larger, sorta like humans in a way.

You can feed them less frequently than a lep gex, but I tend to feed mine as often as they will eat. You'll have to observe their body posture IMO in order to learn more about your T for feeding. Particularly pay attention to the size of its abdomen. It's an indicator of how well hydrated/fed the T is, sorta like leg gex store extra "food" as fat reserves in their tail. A skinny tail on a leopard is a bad sign, same for a Ts abdomen.

Always keep a bowl of water for them, just like a leop gex.

The Amazing Me

Arachnopeon
If you can competently take care of a leopard gecko on your own, you can handle a tarantula. Ts are somewhat tidy like Lep gex too.

Ts eat more frequently when they are smaller, and less so when larger, sorta like humans in a way.

You can feed them less frequently than a lep gex, but I tend to feed mine as often as they will eat. You'll have to observe their body posture IMO in order to learn more about your T for feeding. Particularly pay attention to the size of its abdomen. It's an indicator of how well hydrated/fed the T is, sorta like leg gex store extra "food" as fat reserves in their tail. A skinny tail on a leopard is a bad sign, same for a Ts abdomen.

Always keep a bowl of water for them, just like a leop gex.
Can't they drown

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can't they drown
No...I wouldn't tell you to provide a bowl of water if they could ;) Of course if you force one underwater and flood its lungs w/water sure. But then you'd be sick perverse person at that point among other things.