What should I get?

BlujayOnTheWing

Arachnopeon
Right now I only have one tarantula, a female B Smithi, and I'm thinking about getting another one. I don't want another of the same kind, but I do want something very docile/handleable and preferably pretty (ie I don't really want a rose hair). I was looking into both B Vagans and B Boehmei- any opinions on these? What about any other species that I might be interested in? I've had lots of little wild-caught spiders, but I'm pretty new to tarantulas and (obviously) have very little hands-on experience. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated :)

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
both are pretty ,but both are unpredictable in attiude , i would like to suggest these for handling

Brachyapelma Albopilosum honduran curlyhair
Grammostola Pulcra brazilian black
Brachyapelma Emillia not sure on the common name
Grammostola Pulchripes chaco golden knee
Avicularia Avicularia common pinktoe?
these are great for handling and look really cool but they all grow kinda slow and im sure some people will disagree on the emillia but just my thoughts

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
I would go with a pinktoe personally. It's an arboreal and a must for any collection. Very docile and just an all around amazing T. I just think since you got a great beginner terrestrial why not go for a great beginner avic as well!

BlujayOnTheWing

Arachnopeon
I did actually have a pinktoe for a while... it was my first ever tarantula. I bought it from Petco, it molted a month later, and Oh! It's a boy! -___-;; I was pretty unhappy. He was neat while he lasted- bit jumpy though. I'll probably get another eventually, but not really looking for an arboreal right now.

How hair-kicky are the grammostolas (in general)? Not so bad? I like G Pulcra (looks-wise). What about B Emilia?

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had several pulchripes and none of them ever kicked hairs at me in the periods of time I had them. Not to say they wouldn't ever. Have heard pulchras are pretty similar, although I know some people do get skittish ones.

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
I did actually have a pinktoe for a while... it was my first ever tarantula. I bought it from Petco, it molted a month later, and Oh! It's a boy! -___-;; I was pretty unhappy. He was neat while he lasted- bit jumpy though. I'll probably get another eventually, but not really looking for an arboreal right now.

How hair-kicky are the grammostolas (in general)? Not so bad? I like G Pulcra (looks-wise). What about B Emilia?
Same thing with me.
I bought a A.avic at Petco and it molted into a MM a month later.

BTW Grammostola Pulchripes all the way!!!
2 B.emilia Known to be xtremely docile and have great colors.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've had several pulchripes and none of them ever kicked hairs at me in the periods of time I had them. Not to say they wouldn't ever. Have heard pulchras are pretty similar, although I know some people do get skittish ones.
I have 2 G. pulchripes, both are extremely docile and neither have thrown the slightest threat pose, and only one will kick hairs every so often, maybe once every few months.

BTW Grammostola Pulchripes all the way!!!
+1 My vote is also for G. pulchripes

G. pulchripes..... Enough said!
+1,000,000 I can't believe someone beat me to recommending G. pulchripes. I'm normally the first. But as Redneck stated, G. pulchripes!!! Winner every time.

rbailey1010

Arachnopeon
I'm with these guys on the G. pulchripes.....

They are aggressive eaters....They get to be at least 7 inches...are extremely docile, very easy to handle if you wanted to, and hardly ever kick hairs (if ever!)

My female is a monster and by far my favorite in my collection

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i vote pulchripes as well, mine seems to fit everything stated so far and is in the "norm" as far as attitude goes.

as i've said before, my bohemei was super kicky when i bought him, but as he grew he knocked that stuff off. he's a pretty mellow dude now, probably the least skiddish T i own other than my pulchripes actually. but i have really awful reactions to his urticating hairs, and that alone makes me think you probably shouldn't get one if you are interested in handling.

vagans seem to go either way, i've heard stories about really sweet ones, but also nightmare ones. mine fits into the latter catagory, its a slappy, kicky little hellion who likes to jailbreak everytime i open its deli. good thing i bought it hoping it would be a handful :D

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
+1,000,000 I can't believe someone beat me to recommending G. pulchripes. I'm normally the first. But as Redneck stated, G. pulchripes!!! Winner every time.
I would normally offer a Psalmo.. But in this case I felt the pulchripes would fit the bill.. {D My two males are awesome! Never kick.. EVER!

I have had one of my males since he was .5".. He is close to 4" now.. (If not 4"+..) So they do grow fast... :D

They are better eaters than my big LP.. Im all excited about getting my 7"+ female TOMORROW! :D

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would normally offer a Psalmo.. But in this case I felt the pulchripes would fit the bill.. {D My two males are awesome! Never kick.. EVER!

I have had one of my males since he was .5".. He is close to 4" now.. (If not 4"+..) So they do grow fast... :D

They are better eaters than my big LP.. Im all excited about getting my 7"+ female TOMORROW! :D
Is that one of the ones you got for the really sweet deal that you couldn't pass out? If it is te one you mentioned on FB, that isa sweet deal!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is that one of the ones you got for the really sweet deal that you couldn't pass out? If it is te one you mentioned on FB, that isa sweet deal!
No.. Not this one.. I got this one back on Feb. 1st... In almost 9 months.. Its right at 4"..

BlujayOnTheWing

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the advice guys :) Definitely leaning heavily toward the popular vote at this point... a bit more expensive than the other two but sounds more than worth it! By the way, any idea on typical lifespan for G Pulchripes? The internet is giving me mixed answers, lol

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I will recommend:

Brachypelma Emilia.

Perhaps a 1" specimen, that is well-started & if female, you'll get to watch it grow for the next 25-30 years :p They really are one of the Most ideal pet T's - Chaco Golden-Knees as well, as many have stated :razz:

You may find through cage cleaning -and/or- handling, that the urticating hairs of one or-the-other, will bother you some - another consideration - GL :D