.....What should I get......

Urban_M86

Arachnopeon
OK so m'm looking to get a terrestrial T that can be house in a 17 x 17 x 13 (4" of bedding) i want something docile since my wife is a little afraid of them preferably slow, with bright colors or high contrast like golden, pink, blue, black and whit black and red stuff like that and big the bigger the better(I can look a bigger cage if necessary).

What do you guys recommend, Ill be buying in 364 day i want to be more than rdy for my little one

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G. pulchripes a.k.a. the Chaco Golden Knee. is the spider for you, trust me, I have two. They are extremely docile. One of the most docile species, if not the most docile. They have great colors, black and gold, and they reach sizes around 7-8".

Other than G. pulchripes, I would recommend A. geniculata a.k.a. Giant white knee. These are more skittish however, but they reach large sizes and have alternating colors of black and white.

I would go with G. pulchripes though :D

Good luck

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Chris..

Do you have that on macro yet? ;)

I concur but have never owned one personally but they are all the rave, or so I'm told.. *lol*

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. pulchripes rules :D:D:D

Now that things are looking up for me, I want another one ASAP.

Urban_M86

Arachnopeon
it looks like G. pulchripes is highly recommended. I went to reptile show last weekend and they highly recommended me a Chilean rosea but i have read that they r pet rocks and aggressive its this true

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Roses are usually sweet, but some are nasty.
Can't go wrong with G. pulchripes - I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
You just made a choice that you will be happy with for the rest of your life. They are amazing t's, great eater interesting to watch them eat, my chaco is a great display t, always out in the open.

Enjoy your soon to be fav t.{d

hagar

darkart82

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
almost any grammostola is docile , i dont recommend rosehairs at all, but ill also add the following ts

brachypelma albopilosum aka curlyhair
grammostola pulcra
brachypelma emillia

if you get into aboreals i recommend the avicularia avicularia common pinktoe

webbedone

Arachnobaron
almost any grammostola is docile , i dont recommend rosehairs at all, but ill also add the following ts

brachypelma albopilosum aka curlyhair
grammostola pulcra
brachypelma emillia

if you get into aboreals i recommend the avicularia avicularia common pinktoe

+ 1

i would also add Brachypelma Smithi to this list

Urban_M86

Arachnopeon
so now where can i buy it I have being looking in google but i couldn't find a store that sales them and how much will they usually go for?

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so now where can i buy it I have being looking in google but i couldn't find a store that sales them and how much will they usually go for?
If you scroll down the forums listing, there is one for people to advertise :)

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
good choice.

G. pulchripes are fantastic Ts. mine had a slow start but is a total sweetheart, always out in the open (even as a tiny sling), and now it is eating like a pig and moulting like clockwork. they aren't too expensive to get a fairly decent size specimen if you don't want to raise, and i will say definitely worth every penny from what i have seen of mine so far :D

Urban_M86

Arachnopeon
so far the biggest G. pulchripes i have found is 1" 1/2 will it be k to keep in a 17 x17 home... or will this stress it

Snakecharm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, a T that small is going to have a hard time finding his food and water in an enclosure that size. However, there are many inexpensive options for enclosures for you to keep one in until it's big enough to make use of what you've got.

I would probably suggest either the clear, acrylic cubes you can buy at your local craft store, or a Ziploc or similar small, clear food storage container. You'll need to make vent holes regardless.

The cubes are nice because they're very clear and they look sharp. They're also, as it happens, stackable~ :D

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so far the biggest G. pulchripes i have found is 1" 1/2 will it be k to keep in a 17 x17 home... or will this stress it
i'd stick with quite a bit smaller, personally. mines about the size of that and has been comfortably living in a 16oz. deli cup. i might move it up to a 3x5 tupperware i found at walmart soon, maybe next moult.

Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They're not that expensive as slings. You could check local pet stores and craigslist though. The first one I got is 5" and I got it at my lps for $20 because they thought it was an A. seemanni. And the second I got off craigslist is about 6 or 6.5" and I got it and it's enclosure for $35. So I got some pretty great deals. I wouldn't trade them for anything.