what should i do if ac fails in summer (hypothetical)

zoroastrianpulchripes

Arachnosquire
if my ac fails in summer, temperatures may be up to ~87 to 90, especially with me staying with family in penn state more, will the tarantula be ok if the ac fails and we have to wait a few days to repair it?
thank you for advice, even though this is a hypothetical

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
T’s seem better in higher temps not saying keeping them at 90 is a smart idea but if anything they’ll actually maybe be slightly more active during and also should be completely fine, you should be more worried about temps dropping too low as opposed to too high.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
if my ac fails in summer, temperatures may be up to ~87 to 90, especially with me staying with family in penn state more, will the tarantula be ok if the ac fails and we have to wait a few days to repair it?
Your tarantula will be fine. Tarantulas can live through a broad range of temperatures from mid 60s to high 80s.

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Mine went up to 28C (about 82F) in my apartment (without AC) this summer and they loved it! Much more active and inquisitve. My OBT in particular was out chilling on its log every day - now it’s cooled off, I only ever see it at night. Not sure how high they can go, but I suspect well into the 90s, maybe more?

Edit: In my country, I’m more worried about the cold end of the range than the hot.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Not an issue, the opposite (like the furnace/centralized heating failing during Winter) would be dangerous. Higher temperatures pose a risk for T's mostly when there's involved the pack and shipping combined with various delays etc but well fed, fully settled T's into their enclosures dealing with such, uhm... nope.

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
As i have a small room,and a wood heater,it gets pretty hot real quick during the winter season (I always joke that my room is hotter in the winter than in the summer - which is hardly a joke because it's true)
Sometimes it goes well into 30C+ (90+ F). Some T's love these temps and some don't - just make sure they have a constant water source (maybe keep it a little wetter because the water will evaporate more quickly) because they WILL drink when it gets too hot.

zoroastrianpulchripes

Arachnosquire
As i have a small room,and a wood heater,it gets pretty hot real quick during the winter season (I always joke that my room is hotter in the winter than in the summer - which is hardly a joke because it's true)
Sometimes it goes well into 30C+ (90+ F). Some T's love these temps and some don't - just make sure they have a constant water source (maybe keep it a little wetter because the water will evaporate more quickly) because they WILL drink when it gets too hot.
Thank you! This helped ease my anxiety about this specific issue, and winter will be fine (my heater and ac are seperate things), so theres no need to worry :)

thanks to everyone else as well :)

Marlana

Arachnoknight
They’ll be fine. We had a couple heat waves this summer and don’t have AC. I’m in Washington state and AC isn’t too common unless you put it in yourself…which I’ll get around to eventually. Anyway one heatwave got up to 110F. Thankfully my house only got up to 90-95ish. I made sure everyone had full water dishes. I’m sure some didn’t enjoy it but it was only 2 days and no deaths. It was commonly in the mid 80s in my house over summer and everyone thrived.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Highest temps I've had was 33°C (91.4°F) for 3 straight days (UK houses houses don't have AC as it costs a fortune to install and the weather is crap for more than 90% of the year anyway), all of my Ts were fine, it didn't even bother my M. mesomelas female.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
species?