What scorpion is this?

Scorpion1030

Arachnopeon
Yesterday around 10 pm I noticed something on my pants. It was little scorpion :) I barelly recognized it was a scorpion because it was so small. Since I live in Croatia I googled croatian scorpions but none of scorpions matched. Could somebody name this little guy? :)

Attachments

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
99.9999999% percent chance it is one of the Euscorpius ssp that are found in Croatia. Most likely a second or third instar baby.

Species found in Croatia:
  • Euscorpius aquilejensis
  • Euscorpius croaticus
  • Euscorpius feti
  • Euscorpius gamma
  • Euscorpius hadzii
  • Euscorpius italicus
  • Euscorpius tergestinus

Scorpion1030

Arachnopeon
It's freakin' adorable but I can't identify it :p
I know, it was really cute. When my friend saw it he said that I can kill it now when I took a picture.... no thanks. I released little guy in the wild.

Also thanks @brandontmyers :) someone said it was buthus occitanus but it was kind of weird because they are not recorded in Croatia yet. it looks quite simmilar though.
It probably is one of baby scorpions you suggested. It is much harder to indetify baby scorpion than adult.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
Also thanks @brandontmyers :) someone said it was buthus occitanus but it was kind of weird because they are not recorded in Croatia yet. it looks quite simmilar though.
It probably is one of baby scorpions you suggested. It is much harder to indetify baby scorpion than adult.[/QUOTE]

pedipalps/pinchers look far too big to be buthus sp. Euscorpius of some type gets my vote as well. Euscorpius balearicus maybe?

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It probably is one of baby scorpions you suggested. It is much harder to indetify baby scorpion than adult.
pedipalps/pinchers look far too big to be buthus sp. Euscorpius of some type gets my vote as well. Euscorpius balearicus maybe?[/QUOTE]

I agree about the Buthus sp. Plus, B. occitanus is only described from France and Spain, which is a pretty long distance to travel and not get noticed. I have no idea on which Euscorpius ssp it could be but I believe that is the correct genus.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Here is a related species, E. carpathicus corsicanus, second instar babies

look very similar

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Like George and Brandon suggested, it's very likely an Euscorpius spp., and definitely a baby.
It's definitely not a Buthus spp.

George, how large are those second instars? Are you raising them communally?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey

All those babies are now sold or dead unfortunately, no longer have any Euscorpius sp

They are extremely cannibalistic, even a fat baby will eat its sibling after it moults!! Have to keep them solo!