what scorpion fit this category...

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi,
i am looking for something midsize like 2-3"
doesn't not dig in the soil, but use a burrow or hide (i m using soil with live plants)
does not need any supplementary heat (gets as cold as 50 F in the winter)
does well in a community tank

if you know of any scorpion that fit in these criterias. please let me know.
thanks for any input.
jason

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like you want a bark scorpion, they don't dig and the size is about what you are looking for. They don't really use a hide and would prefer a vertical climb. The temps are a little low for most though.

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As Jamesc suggested a bark scorpion does seem to fit your criteria, but YOU WILL NEED AN ADDITIONAL HEAT SOURCE. This is unavoidable with scorpions unless you live in an area where the temp never drops below 60F. 75F is the low end of most scorpions comfort zone, most do best with temps in the 80's(F). A small (small, not cricket keeper) sized critter keeper is a good size for one or two Centruroides vittatus. A small heating pad on the side of the tank should provide enouph extra heat as long as the room is kept around 70F.

Oh, wait, I forgot you were using live plants, the water requirements for a live plant might be too high for a lot of scorpions, C vittatus might still be a good choice if you would still be able to keep half of the terrarium dry, if not, North American C. gracillis would be a good choice as they are more tropical than vittatus. Central American (much more toxic) C. gracillis would work too if you are not a beginner to scorpions and this is not going to be a public display.

Last edited:

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
try to find one of those euroscorpius (I think that's the species). I believe that they are kept at room temperature.

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Like Quiz said, Euscorpius sp. might work.
I am wondering if Uroctonus mordax mordax, being from Oregon/Washington could handle the lower temps by burrowing and going into a state of dormancy.
Someone with more experience with this species than me may know.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Room temperature here drops below 60F (15C, it gets as low as 12C in the morning). Doesn't bother my Centruroides flavopictus flavopictus, Centruroides gracilis etc. at all. Mind it's only for a few days in a row, but it does drop low.

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Room temperature here drops below 60F (15C, it gets as low as 12C in the morning). Doesn't bother my Centruroides flavopictus flavopictus, Centruroides gracilis etc. at all. Mind it's only for a few days in a row, but it does drop low.
I wish C. flavopictus was common in the states :(

Arachno Kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont know about any scorps that would fit that criteria, you might want to make a desert setup and try some species of scorpions native to america, most likely that come from the north western shrub/desert ;and, seeing as how it can be below thirty where I caught my P.boreus I dont think they need any Addition to the heat sources ;). but yeah, thats a little to condensed, maybe you woud like a P.imperator, mine dosent need any additional heat he likes his hides to.

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Euscorpius aren't particularly communal.

Why is it so important that no external heat source is used? A heatmat would be ideal, lasts for years and is pretty cheap (going off prices here I'd say $20-30), and providing one would increase your potential scorpions greatly.

As others have mentioned if you can provide an external heat source then bark scorpions would be ideal providing you have experience with scorpions (some on the forum may disagree, but I do believe barks are for fairly experienced keepers only). They are fast and have painful stings (if you choose the right ones they generally aren't dangerous but you should make sure your never close enough to be tagged).

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Euscorpius aren't particularly communal.

Why is it so important that no external heat source is used? A heatmat would be ideal, lasts for years and is pretty cheap (going off prices here I'd say $20-30), and providing one would increase your potential scorpions greatly.

As others have mentioned if you can provide an external heat source then bark scorpions would be ideal providing you have experience with scorpions (some on the forum may disagree, but I do believe barks are for fairly experienced keepers only). They are fast and have painful stings (if you choose the right ones they generally aren't dangerous but you should make sure your never close enough to be tagged).
That's what they said about Androctonus species too but i'm keeping 4 specimen in 10 gallon tank. I'm also keeping 3 L.q.hebreus in a 10 gallon split tank.