What Roach

cerda17

Arachnopeon
I am looking for a pet roach (a few breeding roaches) but I don't know what yo get.
I want something that can't climb glass because my screen lid might allow nymphs out, as well as something pretty large (1"+). It has to be easy to start a colony, and not very expensive. Can you recommend me a species?

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Blaberus discoidalis, Blaberus craniifer, and Blaptica dubia are good choices.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If the purpose is to be an interesting captive as opposed to feeders, then I'd vote for Blaberus giganteus. They're huge, easy to care for and even the nymphs are cool. As feeders, however, I'd go with one of the ones Jeezy suggested as they are more prolific than B. giganteus.

Wade

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
although I have never tried it myself, and don't recommend doing it without doing some research of your own first, I have heard many people say that they use a light ring of petroleum jelly around the very top of their enclosure. The babies (and adults as well) can climb only to where the jelly starts. This keeps them from getting out the screen top.

Anyone here that can offer personal experience doing this?

A.D. Payne

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I do this for species that can climb smooth surfaces (like hissers), but for the species we're discussing here it isn't necessary because they can't.

Wade

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I the original post he stated that he wanted something that coulnd't climb glass because he didnt want his babies getting out the screen top didn't he? I was giving him a way around that so that he could consider climbing roaches if he wants to without the fear of escape.

A.D.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If purely interested in a pet roach versus feeders, and ones that can't climb at that, the B. gigantea would be the most "spectacular" just based on their size. Death's heads (B. crannifer), Orange spotted (B. dubia), and Pepper/Giant Peruvian (A. tesselata) are all much more attractive in my book, though.