What pronoun do you use for unsexed tarantulas?

Which pronoun do you use?

• It

Votes: 47 44.3%
  • He

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • She

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • Depends on the T

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • Ze

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • He/she

Votes: 8 7.5%

• Total voters

ryancreek

Arachnopeon
Even if sexed I still use "it". Really they are specimens. I use "B. boehmei" or "A. genic". But my wife gives them all kinds of names. I don't know why, but I'm not a fan of anthropomorphizing any animal except dogs.

mrmatheny

Arachnopeon
I think I’ve noticed people on the boards using they/them pronouns, which seems appropriate.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I used to just call them all "he" until i found out their sex because I didn't want to be disappointed, but now I mostly use "they" or "it" because I hate being inaccurate.

Also, the idea of gendering spiders is freaking wild, man.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Until I know what IT is, whether male or female, I simply refer to IT as “IT”. But once I know the gender, male or female, then I almost never refer to IT as an “IT”, because now I know what IT is... :bag:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Sometimes I just refer to them as ""my" and then the actual species name" ex. My chromatoplema cyaneopubescens molted today. Ill sometimes do this until I know the sex. although sometimes I get lazy and just randomly use he or she, for no particular reason.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
He or she depending on what comes out of my fingers at the time I'm typing. Some days they're he, some days she and sometimes it changes within the same post. I honestly don't really think about it. I only have one sexed tarantula.

Dang IT.... 10 year old post got me LOL. I make it a habit of looking at the date before I post and today I posted before looking.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
He or she depending on what comes out of my fingers at the time I'm typing. Some days they're he, some days she and sometimes it changes within the same post. I honestly don't really think about it. I only have one sexed tarantula.

Dang IT.... 10 year old post got me LOL. I make it a habit of looking at the date before I post and today I posted before looking.
Oh man I didn’t even realize, I even looked at the date, I guess I think it’s still 2010 in my head hahaha

Morzilla

Arachnopeon
I usually use they but I also think they dont care too much lol I do have them all named so i do tend to accidentally use the pronoun that fits more with the name from time to time

MGSHellcat

Arachnopeon
Usually he/she or they, but like some others, I tend to name and refer to them as the sex I'm hoping for, ha. I do keep referring to my incoming G pulchra as she for that reason. :lol:

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Oh man I didn’t even realize, I even looked at the date, I guess I think it’s still 2010 in my head hahaha
I mean seriously. There's no WAY it's 2020. I can't even comprehend it so I'm pretty sure it's definitely 2010. Preeeeeetty sure.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I tend to refer to spiders as female by default.

There's nothing wrong with responding to an old post if the reply has something relevant to add. (This is a poll, not a time-sensitive question about care.)

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
She" by default for me too. Part hope, and partly because for some reason I think of spiders as female in general. Maybe I can blame the book "Charlotte's Web" for that, a childhood favourite.

I also agree that thread necromancy is okay in circumstances such as this one. Somebody could always have something relevant or interesting to add.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I tend to refer to spiders as female by default.

There's nothing wrong with responding to an old post if the reply has something relevant to add. (This is a poll, not a time-sensitive question about care.)
You’re definitely right, I just think it’s funny I saw 2010 and didn’t even realize it wasn’t 2010 anymore. I think this is a good thread too

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I try to say "it" but I'm terrible at that. Generally I end up referring to the more colorful ones as "she" and the less colorful ones as "he." Not sure why, exactly. If it's a spider my wife has claimed as hers, though she still makes me do all the maintenance, I'm always supposed to assume it's female. Her rule :smirk:

RowanFG

Arachnopeon
I've been referring to my slings as 'he's'. I figure that way I'll be pleasantly surprised at the ones that turn out to be female.

Ftang5

Arachnopeon
i refer to them as what i hope they will be, for most T's that means she but for my phlogius pq113 im hoping for a he, that i might see dem blue legs