What popped your CHERRY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supsativa

Arachnopeon
What was your first ever species of tarantula? And story about how you got to own it.

Mine was a: Cobalt Blue
It was a small town petstore prolly not even 900 sq ft that pretty much delt in bunnies, kittys, iguana's, nothing to exotic.. but when i saw this Tarantula with shiny BLUE legs(cobalt blue) i thought it was the end all be all tarantula and desided to make the purchase. I think it was 29.95... Looking back now i remember the owner even telling me "o yeah you can handle this species, very docile". . Needless to say i got it home and put him/her into a 2 gallon kritter keeper with about 3 in of substrate. I buried a empty toiletpaper roll into the substrate as a makeshift tunnel also.. lol . If i would have know more about t's i prolly would have noticed this was a adult male and he didnt not have much time left on the ol ticker. Which he didnt.. But he totally got me into the hobby,and now i have owned over 10 dif species of T and 3 dif species of scorps.

Last edited:

T-chick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I took some koi in to trade since they had gotten too big for my tank, it was a branch of a semi chain of pet stores.
On the counter they always had a few T's and other inverts. I saw they had a few rose hairs and said, what the heck had a few bucks on the trade deal so picked him up... I had him in a 10 gallon tank with bed a beast, a half log hide, water dish, sponge (later got rid of...).
I didn't know if it was a him/her.. had him for 2 years then eventually on a whim picked up a female brown phase and suddenly he got interested in her.. I thought he was being territorial so went online found a tarantula group and started learning. I found out with in the week he was a mature male, and suddenly after a move to a new home he decided to do a post ultimate molt and didn't make it. I traded away the female rosie, and then did some research. Wanted a curly hair, and started from there.
I now have 17 different species of T and have successfully raised several slings to sub adult or large juvies. And raised a tiny scorpling to a nice big juvie!
Less than one year later.
Oh and will have 1 new species next week. That being 2 new t's.
and 2 snakes 2 lizards, and 2 more snakes coming as well.

Tyrannosaur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
G. Rosea, a LONG time ago when I was 14. Still have her, but 10 years later I recently got back into it with a nice little 4" T. Blondi, hence why I am hear.

supsativa

Arachnopeon
G. Rosea, a LONG time ago when I was 14. Still have her, but 10 years later I recently got back into it with a nice little 4" T. Blondi, hence why I am hear.
thats awesome.. i have always had atleast 1 T for the past 10yrs, but as of recently i desided to add to my collection with a couple new species. I had a Adult female blondi 7-8in about 4yrs ago i loved it, but a dormroom was no place for her so i was pretty much forced to sell her...

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
<edit>

I wanted a T for over 10yrs, but they were never available in my country. So after a looong wait, I finally got one, well 3. I got a C Crawshayi, H Hercules Sp & a free tiny N Chromatus sling. I did order the most obvious beginner T, G Rosea adult Fem, at the time, but she arrived a week or two later. I got my 1st T's about 3 months back. I now have 10 and have another 6 or so on order. I'm living proof of the addiction. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
<edit>

mines was the famous OBT lol....it was the start of my wonderful addiction(oops, "addiction" is bad to.... what ever will i do lol);P no worries

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
<edit>

My first T is a fun story. I used to work in an exotic animal hospital, and was exposed to every exotic pet you could think of. One of the vets had on his desk a ten gallon aquarium with a female rosehair in it that was according to his guesstimate, at least 18 years old. Her name was Morticia and I was fascinated, he let me hold her and I fell in love. I always wanted one after that.
Fast forward to 10 years later. I, in the course of talking to my husband, had told him about the rosehair and how I was interested in having one someday. Well, he got me a tarantula for our anniversary that year, then 3 more for Christmas (plus one for himself). Then for my birthday in January, I got 9 more and I was off.
We couldn't make it to the show to buy my T's from Botar so we met him at his hotel room the night before, it was after 10:00, and my husband got great joy out of telling people he was taking me to a hotel after dark to meet a strange man to feed my addiction.

supsativa

Arachnopeon
My first T is a fun story. I used to work in an exotic animal hospital, and was exposed to every exotic pet you could think of. One of the vets had on his desk a ten gallon aquarium with a female rosehair in it that was according to his guesstimate, at least 18 years old. Her name was Morticia and I was fascinated, he let me hold her and I fell in love. I always wanted one after that.
Fast forward to 10 years later. I, in the course of talking to my husband, had told him about the rosehair and how I was interested in having one someday. Well, he got me a tarantula for our anniversary that year, then 3 more for Christmas (plus one for himself). Then for my birthday in January, I got 9 more and I was off.
We couldn't make it to the show to buy my T's from Botar so we met him at his hotel room the night before, it was after 10:00, and my husband got great joy out of telling people he was taking me to a hotel after dark to meet a strange man to feed my addiction.
lol yeah botar is great.. i actually just made a purchase from him not to long ago.. Im originally from IL, the peoria area.

peterspiderling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
mine was a G. Rosea

i was walking downa road with a mate and this guy calle dmy mate over and said come and look at my new snake, i had never met the guy before get he siad i could come yup an all, (he was a freind of my mates dad) and he also had loads of tarantulas, they were every where!!! and just as we wer leaving the door he siad that he was selling them all as he was moving house. so i started thinking. a few days later i went down there and had a good look at all his tarantulas, he then showd me a sub-adult female chilean rose called Rose. and that was it, i knew she was the one for me. i knew nothing about tarantulas at the point so he gave me a book that siad everything about them in it, and sold me the lot, spider, cage and book all for £15.

and here we are now, sadly she passed on not to long ago. but in the time i had her she mutured in to a happy old chilean rose.:D

R.I.P Rose:worship:

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
<edit>

I went into a pet store one day, and saw a cute little sling, don't remember the species. I asked the manager about it, but he didn't really know much about it, said when he ordered it, he had expected some big furry spider. I went home and did some research, but by the time I decided that I wanted it, it was gone. I couldn't get Ts out of my mind after that, and it wasn't long until I found an A. avic in another pet store, and that one I bought.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You might want to take the reactions you draw as an indicating behaviour gauge and adjust to the environment.

Thread locked, waved along and swept away.

Status
Not open for further replies.