What pokie to get

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wanted to get a pokie. I'd get a p. Metalica but I can't find them anywhere. So which one is the second prettiest. I don't care very much about size or aggression.

hermzxd45

Arachnopeon
p. metallica

go to tarantulahomes.com they have some for 175.00 slings...

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are you new to the hobby?
Most of us refer to it as being defensive, not aggressive....
And you will care when it teleports on your hand and bites.
{D

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Poecilotheria subfusca.
+1 Still waiting on mine to get here.. :}

If you dont want that one.. I say ornata.. < Has a pretty mean bite though..

But.. Since it is your first.. You may not be expecting their speed.. Hmm.. Dont know what your experiance is.. So.. I say get a regalis..

kevin88

Arachnopeon
Poecilotheria formosas are one of my favorites....nice purple hughes to them.

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
Ide say P rufilata-although im not big into poecies! i just realy like my rufilata

Cool goodluck

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I second subfusca. Now that I have a job working some halfway decent hours I'm going to buy myself one for my birthday :rolleyes:.
And really, you can't go wrong with regalis. I'm also a huge fan of rufilata.

I saw your blondi thread. You really like to dive in head first don't you? :D

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I saw your blondi thread. You really like to dive in head first don't you? :D
How about an Avic to get used to arboreal speed? I mean, have you seen a Pokie teleport? It can be scary if you aren't prepared. Mine seem more reclusive then defensive, but I never take for granted what they can be capable of.

psykoink

Arachnopeon
I wanted to get a pokie. I'd get a p. Metalica but I can't find them anywhere. So which one is the second prettiest. I don't care very much about size or aggression.
I would say get the one you like the most and go from there. I have a whole bunch of pokies, regalis, ornata, formosa, penderseni, striata, and rufilata. I have multiple of each too and every one of them have their own unique personality. i have a regalis that is an absolute sweetheart until you feed it. I have others like the striata that are nuts. Do some research on what you like and get what interests you.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Jacob,

Everyone here has great suggestions, but I think psykoink hit it on the head... Get whatever it is you like! I started out with a rufilata sling and now I am up to 30 or so poecs and still have "Pokie Fever". My favorite is the P.subfusca. I love the metallica too, but I think sometimes that they can be almost over-rated sometimes.

subfusca - I love the contrasting blacks and tans and the way each leg segment prints are completely different patterns. There are almost 3 or 4 different colors in the print on the abdomen on mine.

rufilata - They get HUGE! That green almost comes out looking so bright and neon, you think you arrived in Vegas everytime you peek at them!

ornata - Oh man o man o MAN! The ornata is one of the most underrated poecs out there... Their purples are blinding, the contrast in colors and the yellow under the front legs... WOW!!!!

miranda - is another beauty! These have some amazing dark and light contrast. These seem to be one of the most skiddish and most likely to hide poec of them all (next to the metallica). Mine are pretty small still but I think these get to be a bit larger like the regalis if I remember correctly. But I love the purple hues in the coloring!!!

formosa - this is another closet beauty! I don't see mine much at all as she is usually webbed in her hidey. She has some really neat coloring!

regalis - This is a must have for anyone into poecs. Because they seem to be so abundant, they are super cheap to get ahold of. You can find $10.00 slings almost anywhere! These gals end up with some amazing coloring too!

Striata and Pederseni are fairly basic poecs and are among the bottom of my list, but definitely worth adding to your collection.

All in all, do some digging and get what you like. One thing to remember... Their bite can really pack a punch (I can't stress how much, but read the bite reports) so no matter how pretty they are, do not try dig one out of the cage! I have had them teleport up my arm before, but it was all on their free will and that's when I take my time to look at them and smile and scoot them back into their comfort zone.

What I do like about poec's is that they are quite predictable. I have heard stories about them bolting out of their cage when you open the lid, biting people during cage maintenance, etc etc... My advice, treat them with respect and heed the signs if they are not in the 'Mood' to play, you will be just fine!

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
+1 Ornata CAK. I would love to get my hands on another, and I am waiting on a sac from a breeding trade I did. I hope it works out. Also big on the Miranda, working on acquiring one of those as well.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
P. subfusca is the prettiest IMO. Also, Pokies are not half as bad as most people make them out to be. Just do not handle and be aware of where they are when feeding and maintenance and you will be fine.

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yea, they are all really skittish and flighty. Ive seen crickets send them running out of their enclosures. Plus they move like greased lightning

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea, they are all really skittish and flighty. Ive seen crickets send them running out of their enclosures. Plus they move like greased lightning
You must be talking slings to small juvies....

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I really think whether or not you can handle a certain species as a beginner depends on your individual fears, common sense, and/or maturity level. I see nothing wrong with capable people starting out with 'advanced' species.

I made my first tarantula purchase on impulse- I knew I wanted a spider; I had observed someone taking care of a spider (G. rosea), then I purchased my own spider, online (P. murinus). WORLDS apart lol. But, I learned proper care quickly; and conquered my fear of the little beast quite out of necessity. It's been eight and a half years of enjoyment and fascination. I've learned a lot about invertebrates in the meantime, and have a fascination for bugs in general now.

Rambling done, I also agree with those in favor. Do your homework, which does include the Bite Reports, and decide from there! Good luck.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would go for P. subfusca, but P. formosa isn't too shabby either:

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would go for P. subfusca, but P. formosa isn't too shabby either:

Now that is a beautiful shot!

I don't want to derail the post like others in recent posts, but I can't resist... what kind of glass are you shooting with Draiman?

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Asking this board this Q. is like asking a fat kid which doughnut he wants from Dunkin Doughnuts:}

Get one of EACH:}

PIG-

DeathsPyro12

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with Pig. Eventually you will get them all regardless. But I vote P.Miranda and P.Pederseni as a start :)