What plants to use?

billrogers

Arachnoknight
I have always wanted to set up a nice vivarium because I love how they look. I recently got a LP which handles humidity fine so I am finally going to try. Nothing fancy, but I still want to make it look nice. I just bought a 10 gallon and I need advice on what plants to put in it. I have pothos clippings from a plant in my house I'll use but what other plants/mosses do well in vivs and where's a good place to buy them. Thanks in advance!

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The problem with using plants in an Lp enclosure, is that those spiders can be bulldozers in a terrarium and can uproot/tear up plants. Pothos is probably going to be your best bet if you try this, as they are among the most durable and hardy tropical plants. That's still no guarantee they won't wind up shredded and dug up though.
There are other plants that do well in vivs of course...they just don't do so well with L. parahybana.

billrogers

Arachnoknight
The problem with using plants in an Lp enclosure, is that those spiders can be bulldozers in a terrarium and can uproot/tear up plants. Pothos is probably going to be your best bet if you try this, as they are among the most durable and hardy tropical plants. That's still no guarantee they won't wind up shredded and dug up though.
There are other plants that do well in vivs of course...they just don't do so well with L. parahybana.
Thanks for your reply! Yeah, I'll probably stick with pothos, but I would like to ad some moss too. Is there a good online site to buy pesticide free plants? I think I remember looking at one that was named something New England something that was based on dart frogs, I'll have to loom them up.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No problem. NEHERP is probably the company you're thinking of. Their plants are indeed pesticide free. Moss...keeping live moss *alive* in an enclosure for an Lp would be difficult. Moss requires good quality lighting and consistent moisture, and Lps will consider it substrate and may move it about or web on it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No problem. NEHERP is probably the company you're thinking of. Their plants are indeed pesticide free. Moss...keeping live moss *alive* in an enclosure for an Lp would be difficult. Moss requires good quality lighting and consistent moisture, and Lps will consider it substrate and may move it about or web on it.
Is any dealer better than the other when it comes to plants, quality of plants etc? I've seen NEHERP, they have a wide selection of things, not sure how they compare to Black Jungle.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This is just my experience: I've received larger/more robust plants from NEHERP, but they carry fairly "common" plants. Black Jungle carries more variety, and more 'exotic' plants, but they've been young/small specimens.