What plants can I put in a tarantulas cage?

DonLouchese

Arachnosquire
Hello there,

If you would like to decorate your tarantula environment go with fake plants as those do not affect your T and the terrarium can still look as pretty as ever.

-> thread with some good proposals on plants that will do fine.

Best regards , Don.

PS: Decided to give you an idea how plant based terrarium can be simple and appealing.

1670211872238.png
Arboreal setup.

1670211934306.png

Terrestrial setup.

tarantulas118

Arachnoknight
there is one rare kind, legend says only the greatest of the great tarantula keepers and collectors can use this plant. It’s located in its natural habitat deep inside a local pet store, it’s a kind of plant that would make even the most extreme tarantula keeper think twice than to set out and find this plant that can be put in any enclosure no matter what Tarantula you have, be careful if you decide to find this plant, it’s called the PLASTIC PLANT OF PETCO !!! Many keepers died trying to find this plant, I was one of the lucky ones

Last edited:

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
I keep mine with live plants, however if you’re going to do this keep species that are more moisture dependent such as Theraphosa or A. geniculata. Although you can keep succulents with dryer species it doesn’t work as well in my experience (probably because of substrate). So assuming you have a slightly more moisture dependent species here are some easy plants, spider plant, pothos, parlor palm, syngonium podophylum, and pilea peperomioides are all very easy in my experience. Also, some species I keep plants with include Tliltocatl vagans, Theraphosa stirmi, Grammostola acteon, and Chilobrachys sp. kaeng krachan. Also please know your tarantula is likely to kill the plants

tarantulas118

Arachnoknight
Any way, with live plants I use this
6291E121-55C0-4FB6-BAE9-0CD7CAD25EEC.jpeg
it’s called the philodendron scandens and I think it’s great plant for terrestrial tarantulas. They require low light and really don’t need to be watered everyday( although they can) more like once or twice a week. What I do is cut a stem off , rinse it for a minute or 2, and then plant it. It’ll sprout roots and leaves in the enclosure just like that. It comes from brazil so I especially use it with things like Theraphosa stirmi, acanthuscurria geniculata and other tropical NW species
45D6FA32-529A-4DC2-8DA4-31C45F529571.jpeg
FCEFF513-2AC4-45A7-94DA-C7BD296DA5A6.jpeg

AphixLights

Arachnopeon
OOO. I cant provide an answer but some of the suggestions in replies already seem solid.. ! I really love live plants in terrariums~ I use dry leaf litter and havent tried a real plant yet but i really like @tarantulas118 's suggestion with using a clipped stem and letting it reroot into the enclosure

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I don't put in plants, because it gives the prey more places to hide, and the tarantulas don't care at all. Pragmatist.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
First of all, it's recommendable to mention what tarantula you have, but based on your avatar I'd deduct that's a boehmei.

They live in dry thorn forests, so I'd discard most of the live plants due to their moisture requeriments.

I'd get a dry bush/grass and use a good clay based substrate. To give some texture use sand (joke inside) xD, nah I'd add some crunched dry leaves

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
for the majority of Ts, the humidity levels required to grow live plants is unhealthy for the majority of Ts. As stated, a few jungle species can be housed in vivariums, but again it becomes a risk.

RennardFuchs

Formerly 'Tarantuhalla'
I will watch this post closely, since I to this day had mostly failures with live plants inside my enclosures.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I will watch this post closely, since I to this day had mostly failures with live plants inside my enclosures.
What kind of plants did you use?

With the right enclosure and soil they are quite easy to keep alive, but more importantly with the right inhabitant. It's not going to have the same moisture requeriments an Aphonopelma or a geniculata, that's why it's very important to chose the plants based on the T requeriments.

RennardFuchs

Formerly 'Tarantuhalla'

With the right enclosure and soil they are quite easy to keep alive, but more importantly with the right inhabitant.
Airplants, sensevierias (as part of a bet with my GF. She bet that the Ts won't kill them. I won that bet). There are still more to try, but at that stage plants were not my main focus, but who knows.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
for the majority of Ts, the humidity levels required to grow live plants is unhealthy for the majority of Ts. As stated, a few jungle species can be housed in vivariums, but again it becomes a risk.
Sorry, but that's not true or at least it's very inacurate.

Most Ts thrive at the same humidity levels as most common plants need to thrive, around 60% RH on average, in fact, a dying plant it's a very good indicator that something it's out of the range, it could be moistute or RH. I'm not talking about rainforest like setups, where the niche it's quite small, and very few species will take advantage of the conditions, but to regular planted setups.

If someone ends having issues with plants, more likely that the conditions inside the enclosure are not going to be ideal even for the T. A good planted setup, will keep the T at much safer conditions than it's fake counterpart, as they help to keep conditions quite stable, from moisture to humditity levels. This is the main reason why I use planted tanks, so I barely need to worry about external conditions. Their actual range sits between 60s to 80s depending on the season and temperature.

To achieve this, you only need a decent sized enclosure, ample ventilation and a good substrate. If the setup it's small, better to stick to fake plants.

Obviously there are species that thrive in drier conditions, so I wouldn't use a planted setup unless the plants were native or have similar moisture requeriments to them. For those cases, I'd personally keep the enclosure simple, since the substrate's moisture will provide the desired conditions in a quite stable manner, using a good substrate of course.
Airplants, sensevierias (as part of a bet with my GF. She bet that the Ts won't kill them. I won that bet). There are still more to try, but at that stage plants were not my main focus, but who knows.
Air plants like thillandsias don't require almost any moisture or substrate, as they rely on the humid air to thrive (ocasional misting). If you keep them too moist, they tend to rot quite easily. Sanseverias in the other hand, they rely on the substrate's moisture level, but they tend to like "drier" conditions. Too much moisture makes them susceptible to having issues.

Which kind of Ts were the inhabitants?

RennardFuchs

Formerly 'Tarantuhalla'
Sorry, but that's not true or at least it's very inacurate.

Most Ts thrive at the same humidity levels as most common plants need to thrive, around 60% RH on average, in fact, a dying plant it's a very good indicator that something it's out of the range, it could be moistute or RH. I'm not talking about rainforest like setups, where the niche it's quite small, and very few species will take advantage of the conditions, but to regular planted setups.

If someone ends having issues with plants, more likely that the conditions inside the enclosure are not going to be ideal even for the T. A good planted setup, will keep the T at much safer conditions than it's fake counterpart, as they help to keep conditions quite stable, from moisture to humditity levels. This is the main reason why I use planted tanks, so I barely need to worry about external conditions. Their actual range sits between 60s to 80s depending on the season and temperature.

To achieve this, you only need a decent sized enclosure, ample ventilation and a good substrate. If the setup it's small, better to stick to fake plants.

Obviously there are species that thrive in drier conditions, so I wouldn't use a planted setup unless the plants were native or have similar moisture requeriments to them. For those cases, I'd personally keep the enclosure simple, since the substrate's moisture will provide the desired conditions in a quite stable manner, using a good substrate of course.

Air plants like thillandsias don't require almost any moisture or substrate, as they rely on the humid air to thrive (ocasional misting). If you keep them too moist, they tend to rot quite easily. Sanseverias in the other hand, they rely on the substrate's moisture level, but they tend to like "drier" conditions. Too much moisture makes them susceptible to having issues.

Which kind of Ts were the inhabitants?
Airplant Poekie, sensevieria in a Brachypelma enclosure. The second one was enforced by my significant other, so yeah...

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Airplant Poekie, sensevieria in a Brachypelma enclosure. The second one was enforced by my significant other, so yeah...
A Sansevieria in a Brachy enclosure should thrive perfectly fine with the correct substrate and enclosure size.

Airplants are a bit trickier, as they like humidity but not so much prolonged exposure to moisture, so the plant placement should be spot on, like anchored in the cork bark etc.

RennardFuchs

Formerly 'Tarantuhalla'

With the right enclosure and soil they are quite easy to keep alive, but more importantly with the right inhabitant. It's not going to have the same moisture requeriments an Aphonopelma or a geniculata, that's why it's very important to chose the plants based on the T requeriments.
It was anchored in a cork bark, or better to say on the cork bark background ;)

Dorifto

He who moists xD
It was anchored in a cork bark, or better to say on the cork bark background ;)
Polystyrene? Fill the hole with a porous substrate like coco fiber to help to evaporate the substrate's moisture faster. If not the water trapped in the hole could rot the plant.

Few mist from time to time should be enough to keep it alive. The moisture from the substrate should be enough to raise the humidity and prevent anybdesication.

RennardFuchs

Formerly 'Tarantuhalla'
Polystyrene? Fill the hole with a porous substrate like coco fiber to help to evaporate the substrate's moisture faster. If not the water trapped in the hole could rot the plant.

Few mist from time to time should be enough to keep it alive. The moisture from the substrate should be enough to raise the humidity and prevent anybdesication.
Not polystyrene. Natural cork, byt with bark on front imitating a natural background

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
few people have enclosures as glorious as yours. Most folks set ups are small.
But yes, you are correct.