What other tarantula can I put in the same terrarium as my Avicularia Metallica?

Coaster

Arachnopeon
Can I only put another A. Metallica or can I put a different pink toe in there too? I heard these are the only tarantulas that can be kept more than one per cage is that true? How old do you think my T is? Will it molt again?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don't put any other spider in there unless you want one to eat the other.

I don't know where you heard what you did, but I urge you to do some research here on the boards (i.e. use the search).

Coaster

Arachnopeon
when i search Avicularia Metallica i get all different spiders, its hard to use that function

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Keep all your spiders solo. and I'm not quite sure you have a mettalica.

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
I suggest you do a lot more research on Tarantulas in general before you even think about getting another one.

Your Avic can not be housed with another Avic or any other species for that matter and Tarantulas never stop molting so yes yours will molt again. I do not mean to be rude but these are things you should know before you even get an animal. There is really no excuse for not knowing something as basic as how a T molts.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Also, try searching for "communal", will probably get you better results then searching for Avicularia metallica.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
*face desk*

I'm no grizzled ancient but this feels like a troll; anyone who takes a mild interest in Ts should read the stickies and search.

Unless you're a complete n00b to the vbulletin system; every board will tell you:
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION

PS: I am in a bad mood -_- sorry if I'm in tolerant.

I did do research <edit>, there are conflicting reports

"After sexual maturity is reached, the general rule is that they stop molting"

http://www.animalcorner.co.uk/insects/spiders/spiders.html

Well they're wrong. Dead wrong.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Smells like troll in here.

If not a troll, then an idiot; for sure. Sorry, but bobus and Gecko are right: if you're going to get an animal... you should KNOW THESE THINGS FIRST. :embarrassed:

pok2010

Arachnopeon
Don't put any other spider in there unless you want one to eat the other.

I don't know where you heard what you did, but I urge you to do some research here on the boards (i.e. use the search).
^^^ what xhexdx said ;P

Dorittos

Arachnopeon
not sure about the trolling but what i do know is spiders eat one another any thing that moves is a potential meal to them, as for molting i know its just like snakes and reptiles they molt once there exoskeleton is to small and tight and it also for other smaller reasons (maturing, colors, sexing, regenerating, etc)

but if i am wrong on any thing or any one would like to
add more to what i said pleas do, i am still a beginner
and i am pretty eager at learning more! thanks :)

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well they're wrong. Dead wrong.
Did you bother reading the any of the info from the website posted? It's not really all that wrong, the only problem is that most of it is about true-spiders.

After sexual maturity is reached, the general rule is that they stop molting, but the females of some non-araneomorph species will continue to molt the rest of their lives.
The OP is new, cut them a break. They're no troll, just someone looking for an answer they couldn't find. No reason to be so rude.

Smells like troll in here.

If not a troll, then an idiot; for sure. Sorry, but bobus and Gecko are right: if you're going to get an animal... you should KNOW THESE THINGS FIRST. :embarrassed:
Yeah, because nobody in their life has had an impulse buy. Seriously, why the name calling and why the rudeness? Everyone is a newb at some point. I give them credit for coming in here and even asking the questions. Sure I encourage the search function because I don't feel like laying it all out for them, but this is beyond ridiculous. Why not post something a bit nicer or something worth posting?

Smells like jerk in here. Too many people in here so quick to judge.

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"Idiot?" Really, what do comments like that accomplish? If the OP has not done his research, name-calling like that will just deter him from futher browsing of this site, which is an invaluable resource for keepers of any level. With the well-being of the T in mind, let's carry on.

@ the OP: As mentioned, Avicularias of any species have not been proven communal, and no two different tarantula species can be kept in the same enclosure without conflict. These spiders will defend their territory once they've laid it down, and they are always up for a meal.

What you read about the cessation of molts after maturity was not entirely false. Male tarantulas usually stop molting after their "ultimate" molt in which they reach sexual maturity and have developed emboli and, in most cases, tibial spurs. Females will molt multiple times after reaching sexual maturity.

As the rate of growth for a T depends on the conditions in which it is raised (temperature and frequency of feeding basically), your Avicularia could be a year old or five. Size and age really have no correlation. If you would like to know the sex of your T, you can take a picture of its underside and post it in the ventral sexing subforum for guesses.

I strongly urge you to do some reading in the Tarantula subforums. The search function tutorial is well worth checking out- make friends with it. :)

Last edited:

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
@ Protectyaaaneck
The fact remains, whether anyone wants to hear it, a responsible person would know about an animal before they buy it. There was no rudeness prior the the name calling, only answers to OP's questions. Unfortunately the immaturity that led to childish name calling put a bit of a target on the OP. This is a public forum. If you come on here to ask a question and don't like the answer then the best action is to leave not linger to throw stones. One person can only throw so many but the remainder of the forum can blot out the sun.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
BTW, very nice pics of a BEAUTIFUL T! I'm surprised no-one else noticed what a healthy-looking T she is... :rolleyes:

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
Yeah, because nobody in their life has had an impulse buy.
And on that note I don't disagree, but there is a difference between impulsively buying a television or a CD, and buying a living thing that you are not prepared for in the least. If you do so and seek out the information you need then you need to expect that people passionate about the animals will frown upon you for not having the foresight to spend a week learning as much as you can about the animal before getting it.

Some of us have the luxury of being in this hobby for many many years and being able to pick up a new species and know its care simply by appearance and knowing its country of origin. And when we do not we ask others with more knowledge than us respectfully and appreciate their input. That is the mature way to do things and if you are not a mature person expect the mature amongst us to take offense by it for maturity is an essential part of owning an animal. Without it animals get neglected, disregarded and forgotten. Something that is plaguing the exotics hobby which already has enough scrutiny.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@ Protectyaaaneck
The fact remains, whether anyone wants to hear it, a responsible person would know about an animal before they buy it. There was no rudeness prior the the name calling, only answers to OP's questions. Unfortunately the immaturity that led to childish name calling put a bit of a target on the OP. This is a public forum. If you come on here to ask a question and don't like the answer then the best action is to leave not linger to throw stones. One person can only throw so many but the remainder of the forum can blot out the sun.
My post wasn't directed at you.

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
My apologies. I was just stating my thoughts on why the rest of the thread went the way it did. I do agree with you that further name calling is unnecessary. I am sorry if you have offended you. You did have some valid points.