What other tarantula can I put in the same terrarium as my Avicularia Metallica?

Balkastalkman

Arachnosquire
If you want a communal species get a bunch of h incei they do great together, and they are fun to watch. Ive also raised a group of p regalis but one did get munched in a 2 year time frame, so I wouldn't call that communal. I wouldnt try it with an avic.

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your Avic can not be housed with another Avic or any other species for that matter
I've had 6 Avics in the same enclosure for the past (nearly) 8 months. I've recently added two more. None were sack mates, none are the same size, and they are of diferent species. The only death I had was a MM A. metallica (he lasted 5 months and was literally spinning a sperm web every other day). The other MM A. metallica and A. versicolor are still going strong. They, however were removed.

My current setup:
(Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium: 12" x 12" x 18")
I provide two large sources of water, and there's always crickets and roaches wandering their cage. Basically; I provide more than they need at all times. It gets messy, so be prepared to spot clean at least twice a week. Every one of the Ts within the community are handled almost on a daily basis. There are 3 Gravid females in the enclosure.

2 A. versicolor - Female 2.5" and Female 4" (+1 MM - removed after 3 months)

3 A. metallica - Female 5", Female 4", unknown 2" (+2 MM - 1 eaten after 5 months, 1 removed after 1 month)

1 A. azurklaasi - 1 Female 3.5"

2 A. avicularia - Female 4", Unknown 1.75"

I have only ever noticed one act of aggression: The 1.75" A. avicularia jumped on and ran off one of the larger A. metallica males 'pawed' at her.

The MM A. versicolor was not accepted by any of the females. The Mature females readily accepted the MM A. metallica without any hesitation and even lay with him on a regular basis until he was removed (They'd lift themselves for him. I even have pics of him coming at the side to a female [Between legs III and IV, she lifted and allowed him to insert]). The MM A. metallica that was consumed was quite 'pushy' and was never accepted either.

The males were removed due to valid breeding reasons [/COLOR](The MM A. versicolor is co-habbing with two 5"+ MF A. versicolor and the MM A. metallica is currently co-habbing with two 6"+ MF A. metallica).

For 10 months I've had a 3.5" Female A. versicolor and a 2" Female A. versicolor co-habbing.

They are 'not supposed' to be co-habbitable.. but I've seen it done. I did my research and only time will tell if it fails miserably. I am fully prepared to take that risk, I knew the risks when I started these small communities.

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here ya go, couple recent photos. (Yes, I know the hydrometer is outside the cage to the left.. It's to gauge the entire room's humidity rather than just the cage's)

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd be interested to see any pix you have Draychen, its something Ive been interested in for a few years but never had any success. Ironically they're found in the wild in close habitatation so it must be possible.

Something Ive considered is housing an Avic with a burrower eg. H. lividum, neither are renowned for inhabiting the others area but of course there's always a risk it could go wrong.

Very much doubt that's A. metallica, far too much hair, but its a lovely Avic

Strange how so many people spend so much time berating the OP and then arguing amongst themselves. I think after 1 or 2 comments the OP realises he needs to do some research, we really don't need to labour the point, surely!

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the pix
None seem to have webbed up, or are their hides out of view?

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
These are some of the few i have on my phone atm: I'm at work.

I fact, for the top photo, I had just cleaned the entire enclosure due to the fact I was recieving more A. metallica to co-hab. I wanted them to re-size their territories. The pic below that is more recent, you can see the webbing everywhere.

The one in the top right corner has made that her home: She is Shelsie.
The bottom right corner, she normally stays there as well. She's a newer one, yet to be named. To the top right, rear side of the bush is where another made her home: That's Shevah. Bottom right of the darkest log, that is where the Fuzz hides. Lilith is in the bottom left, closest to the front (She's a heavy webber). There is another where the flash is.. and right atop of Lilith is where Cirri and Narah stay. They're rarely ever seperated. I'll get a pic of them laying together, it's awesome.. one big fuzz pile. When I get home from work tonight, I'll get you more in-depth pics.

The bottom photo is the MM A. metallica and two large females. One made her home to the middle right of the cage, below the water dish. It's really webbed up now. The other made her home inside the spherical cork bark in the background... yet I have found the two females and male all atop of eachother in there as well. I paniced (like a newbie) and shooed them all out for fear they'd eat eachother. This happened the night they were introduced to eachother.

OH, and in the bottom centre of the darkest log in pic #2, you can see the little pink feet of one of the females: She's making a moult mat.

Lorum

Arachnosquire
I am fully prepared to take that risk, I knew the risks when I started these small communities.
I don't criticize you, but what about the spiders? You can take the "risks", spend your money the way you want, but risking the spiders' lives?

I know it happens in their natural populations (canibalism), but we are keeping them in captivity, we should not allow them to die that way (IMO). Anyway, I don't want to start an argument, I just would like you to think about it. You are not risking anything but the T's. BTW, I hope everything is just fine with your T's for a long time.

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I hope I don't see Draychen selling any slings on here. We don't need the Avicularia genus to get anymore muddled.:wall:

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been supplying the LPS in my area with slings for awhile now. NO, I will NEVER EVER EVER sale a cross bred sling. EVER. Period. (Plus I'd rather not sale on the forums, I'm a busy man.. and packing and shipping isn't fun. I'd rather just unload them at the LPS' nearby for $5-$10 each en bulk and just get them off my hands for store credit and some cash..) I have a legitimate stock kept aside. The cross-breeds will remain in the community to bulk it up and allow it to expand (hoping to one day have a complete 500 gallon community setup). I have chosen to allow them the chance to cross breed (as they would in the wild) to better better understand how they act. To me they are pets and a source of study.

As for putt them in danger: I am very much attached to every one of these critters, if I felt they were in danger, I'd seperate them.

Thank you for your concerns :) but everything is going well.

For any who wish to see: Here's a link to their hides/Webs a couple days after cleaning

http://s929.photobucket.com/albums/ad136/DraychenN/Community/

Last edited:

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
Wait a minute!!?! are you keeping all the ones you listed in one container.
Or two seperate containers keeping two different sp?:wall::confused:

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i currently have two small communities and one medium going. readmy initial response for the breakdown

Coaster

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all your help guys, I've decided to get one more Avicularia Metallica for a wonderful addition to my ten gallon desert/rainforest terrarium. Can anybody sex my buddy here for me? :D

Coaster

Arachnopeon
Ooooh neet, so is there anything different in regards to habits that the females do. Does this mean its going to be less active than if it was a male?

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
really no diference. when males mature they become very active until they die. g

boonbear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Coaster, great pics. Your clarity is very nice.

To the negative posters, lighten up. Anyone can buy a T. Let's not run off a potential enthusiast just by brow beating him on his first thread. I know we are just trying to give info, but I don't really think it was conveyed very well.