what other kinds of worms?

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I always use crickets and still do as a staple diet but I was wanting to give my inverts something alittle different now and then to vairy their diet. I recently tried superworms and all my tarantulas(and scorpions for that matter) loved them. Now im just woundering what other kinds of worms are good for t's, ive seen silkworms and waxworms...are either of them good? What other kinds of worms are their for feeders besides all the different sizes of mealworms and the ones ive listed?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I always use crickets and still do as a staple diet but I was wanting to give my inverts something alittle different now and then to vairy their diet. I recently tried superworms and all my tarantulas(and scorpions for that matter) loved them. Now im just woundering what other kinds of worms are good for t's, ive seen silkworms and waxworms...are either of them good? What other kinds of worms are their for feeders besides all the different sizes of mealworms and the ones ive listed?
waxworms are good for fattening up your pets. Let me think on this subject for a bit. lol

edit: What about horned/tomato worms?

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
waxworms are good for fattening up your pets. Let me think on this subject for a bit. lol

edit: What about horned/tomato worms?
Hmm never hurd of em ill have to research. Are silkworms those greenish pillar type looking ones? They seem interesting anyone feed them to inverts?

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've tried silkworms but they dont move around enough to be attractive prey items to all but my most voracious Ts.

They are supposedly nutritionally better than crickets though ;)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
wow great site, it really makes them sound good. Perhaps ill see if my inverts like em:razz:
I was thinking of starting my own colony. They are apparently very nutritious and my Beardie loves them!:p

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ive noticed if a prey item is right in front of my inverts and not moving they will also not make a move. But as soon as the slighest movement is made by the feeder insect they grab it. Ill post here if i try them and let everyone know how they work out for me. At pet stores im used to seeing the normal feeder size, but at expos ive seen massive ones!

Walter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Silkworms are just GREAT!
They are slow and dumb - even my lazy smithi can check them before eating and they won't escape underground like superworms.
Only problem is that after eating a silkworm she won't eat nothing else for a month.

Last edited:

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
im guessing the bodies on these are pretty soft? BTW if anyone has pics of their T's or other inverts eatin silkworms post em up!:)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
im guessing the bodies on these are pretty soft? BTW if anyone has pics of their T's or other inverts eatin silkworms post em up!:)
Yup very soft! You have to be careful handling this as to not kill them.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yup very soft! You have to be careful handling this as to not kill them.
wow:) Well I think im gonna buy some, my local reptile shop has em in stock every once in awhile. BTW anyone know anything about Mulberry Farms, they have silkworms and food. I may need some food

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
wow:) Well I think im gonna buy some, my local reptile shop has em in stock every once in awhile. BTW anyone know anything about Mulberry Farms, they have silkworms and food. I may need some food
That's the downside is that silkies only eat Mulberry leaves. If your gonna start a colony, make sure you know where you can always get some if you.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's the downside is that silkies only eat Mulberry leaves. If your gonna start a colony, make sure you know where you can always get some if you.
Yea i noticed Mulberry Farms has "silkworm chow" so ill probably order some of that and then try to buy the silkworms locally.

EDIT- Actually Im just gonna order one of their Silkworm cup deals and some extra food. The cup deal comes with 20-50 worms with enough chow in the cup to last 2 weeks for $8.95. Then if my inverts like em ill start a colony or something:)

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea i noticed Mulberry Farms has "silkworm chow" so ill probably order some of that and then try to buy the silkworms locally.
Cool good idea. I'm gonna order some soon as well, then start a colony of silkworms!

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool good idea. I'm gonna order some soon as well, then start a colony of silkworms!
nice! what kind of container should they be kept in? I got plenty of kritter keepers would they work? I read they dont need substrait, do they need stuff to climb on or anything?

nice pic Walter, thanks for posting!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
nice! what kind of container should they be kept in? I got plenty of kritter keepers would they work? I read they dont need substrait, do they need stuff to climb on or anything?

nice pic Walter, thanks for posting!
I'm probably gonna use a KK or some kind of rubbermaid container. I'm not gonna give them anything to climb on, just piles of mulberry leaves, and then change/clean every couple of days.