What other creatures can you put in a T enclosure?

tarantulas118

Arachnoknight
The title is the question, can you put other creatures such as, isopods, beetles, other flying insects, walking sticks, frogs, fish, anything at all?

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Springtails are the only other things I can think of at the moment that the tarantula wouldn't eat and that wouldn't harm the tarantula.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Fish, if you had a spider that ate fish... Dolomedes sp. or the baboon I can't think of allegedly eat fish. Although I bet it would surprise people how many others would go for them... If you know the exact species of frog for a specific frog-owning T, you could try that. I put springtails in everything. People go both ways with isopods, some isopods are also more meat-loving than others as well. I wouldn't put them with a sling for sure. Millipedes are mostly harmless, aren't they? But yeah, not much :lol: I guess if you made a paludarium with complete separation of land and water so the substrate didn't get wet, you could have anything you want underwater... Ts aren't gonna drown.

Last edited:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Fish, if you had a spider that ate fish... Dolomedes sp. or the baboon I can't think of allegedly eat fish. Although I bet it would surprise people how many others would go for them... If you know the exact species of frog for a specific frog-owning T, you could try that. I put springtails in everything. People go both ways with isopods, some isopods are also more meat-loving than others as well. I wouldn't put them with a sling for sure. Millipedes are mostly harmless, aren't they? But yeah, not much :lol: I guess if you made a paludarium with complete separation of land and water so the substrate didn't get wet, you could have anything you want underwater... Ts aren't gonna drown.
In my opinion, this is some pretty bad advice from top to bottom.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Mixing Tarantulas with frogs is far more likely to result in a dead animal (or two) than success.

Millipedes are also a risk plus tarantulas will likely see them as food.

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
Springtails, yes. I second the opinions of everyone recommending a cleanup crew.
Isopods, sometimes. But on occasion, some of mine do get eaten and that small slings do get stressed by them.
Dubias, also sometimes. These guys are great cleaners, hands down, but Ts do also happen to find them delicious.
Frog and mantids, somebody's going to get eaten.
As for millipedes, these guys are a no. Millipedes exude Hydrochloric acid, Hydrogen cyanide, Organic acids, Phenol, Cresols, and Benzoquinones Hydroquinones (in some millipedes); all of which could do harm to a T, especially if they stress a millie into defense when they do exude more of these than usual.

Millipede Toxin source: https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002846.htm

tarantulas118

Arachnoknight
Mixing Tarantulas with frogs is far more likely to result in a dead animal (or two) than success.

Millipedes are also a risk plus tarantulas will likely see them as food.
Ok yeah, millipedes are toxic. But what about the tarantulas that have a frog as a roommate, do you think that would work? Xenesthis immanis can live with a frog in the wild, buT what about in captivity

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Ok yeah, millipedes are toxic. But what about the tarantulas that have a frog as a roommate, do you think that would work? Xenesthis immanis can live with a frog in the wild, buT what about in captivity
If you had hundreds and hundreds of square feet of room......

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
Having a frog around could be a challenging, especially with the fact that one species could eat or seriously wound the other. Frogs are notorious at eating just about any critter that moves, including those that are larger than their bodies. This I learned from observing my own family's frogs, who have astounded me by huffing enormous dubia or goldfish nearly as long as they are. Ts also are notorious for not having the best of eyesight. When a hopping terror passes nearby, especially one that might consider them as a threat, they could kick hairs that could seriously injure or even kill the frog, or they may bit and do the same. Both these species try to avoid one another in the wild for a reason, and that's also not to include the humidity needs of each. Frogs like it damp and somewhat mild, while most Ts prefer dryness or just less moisture than frogs, and can handle a higher temperature. While some Ts may have been seen to cohabitate with a frog in the wild, it doesn't mean that all Ts of a species may do so, that other Ts can do so too, or that a number of frogs have not been eaten before a T just settles on having a roommate.
Frogs are ferocious predators. Ts are ferocious predators. When two hungry, feisty critters are placed with each other, someone is bound to be injured or lunch.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
As for millipedes, these guys are a no. Millipedes exude Hydrochloric acid, Hydrogen cyanide, Organic acids, Phenol, Cresols, and Benzoquinones Hydroquinones (in some millipedes); all of which could do harm to a T, especially if they stress a millie into defense when they do exude more of these than usual.

Millipede Toxin source: https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002846.htm
Thanks, didn't know that about millipedes.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Bro I'm going to be straight here. You need to get much better at basic tarantula husbandry long before anything else happens. No need to consider these zany ideas, just get the foundations down. (Ironic thing is that you'll likely abandon the zany ideas once you get some experience under your belt. There's a reason you don't see experienced keepers doing stuff like mixed species tanks very often....)

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
It has to be the specific frog for the species. As far as I've heard, all other attempts result in dead frogs. The frogs are the size of the slings, so they do nothing but eat things like ants, that probably would also have to be there, or the spider would have no use for a frog... good luck lol. I really do want to try it though.

tarantulas118

Arachnoknight
Bro I'm going to be straight here. You need to get much better at basic tarantula husbandry long before anything else happens. No need to consider these zany ideas, just get the foundations down. (Ironic thing is that you'll likely abandon the zany ideas once you get some experience under your belt. There's a reason you don't see experienced keepers doing stuff like mixed species tanks very often....)
Oh, I wasn’t trying to do this, just wondering if it’s possible. Although I want to try this in the later future

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Tarantulas that are facultative symbiotes with frogs (aside from Xenesthis, some pokies also do this in the wild) only are symbiotic with a particular species of frog. They'd happily eat any other frogs that they can catch.

So no.

Edit: also, said frogs are absurdly tiny, much smaller than even dart frogs. The whole reason they're symbiotic with Ts is that they're too small to fend off stuff like bigger frogs or geckos that the T can eat or fight off, while they're small enough to eat the tiny flies and such the T can't handle.

tarantulas118

Arachnoknight
Having a frog around could be a challenging, especially with the fact that one species could eat or seriously wound the other. Frogs are notorious at eating just about any critter that moves, including those that are larger than their bodies. This I learned from observing my own family's frogs, who have astounded me by huffing enormous dubia or goldfish nearly as long as they are. Ts also are notorious for not having the best of eyesight. When a hopping terror passes nearby, especially one that might consider them as a threat, they could kick hairs that could seriously injure or even kill the frog, or they may bit and do the same. Both these species try to avoid one another in the wild for a reason, and that's also not to include the humidity needs of each. Frogs like it damp and somewhat mild, while most Ts prefer dryness or just less moisture than frogs, and can handle a higher temperature. While some Ts may have been seen to cohabitate with a frog in the wild, it doesn't mean that all Ts of a species may do so, that other Ts can do so too, or that a number of frogs have not been eaten before a T just settles on having a roommate.
Frogs are ferocious predators. Ts are ferocious predators. When two hungry, feisty critters are placed with each other, someone is bound to be injured or lunch.
ive heard that scientists actually did an experiment. They put other species of frog in front of the tarantula and it ate all the frogs, however, that one specific frog that can live with it it wouldn’t touch. The scientists then put the frog that shares a burrow with the tarantulas skin onto another frog and when the tarantula came up to it, it didn’t eat it.it didn’t do anything to it.

ive heard that scientists actually did an experiment. They put other species of frog in front of the tarantula and it ate all the frogs, however, that one specific frog that can live with it it wouldn’t touch. The scientists then put the frog that shares a burrow with the tarantulas skin onto another frog and when the tarantula came up to it, it didn’t eat it.it didn’t do anything to it.
Source

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Wait, they did what with the skin? Never heard that lol. Did see something about an experiment for sure.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
The one in Texas would be your best bet probably...
at least you could see in person what frog. And still source the spider, and maybe the frog from captive breeders. I've never seen a mention of any of the frogs by species.

Pulled an Ed Gein apparently.
Or Hannibal Lecter