What orb weaver is this?

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
I found this guy in my backyard. Looks rather large and isnt the normal one I usually find. I live near Chicago. Does anyone have a idea what genus/ species this is? Screenshot_20190825-130624.jpg

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
The bad hair day of the spider world. Curious. The legs have the coloration of N Arabesca while the body has the generic coloration of a pre penultimate that could be of several species. Another picture from a different angle may better display the typical coloration of a Crucifera.

Last edited:

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
Neoscona sp. maybe N. crucifera.
Thanks. Looks like Crucifera to me.

The bad hair day of the spider world. Curious. The legs have the coloration of N Arabesca while the body has the generic coloration of a pre penultimate that could be of several species. Another picture from a different angle may better display the typical coloration of a Crucifera.
I think you nailed it. Its a N. Crucifera in deep premolt. Thanks guys for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I just happened across an excellent web page on Neoscona: https://entnemdept.ifas.ufl.edu/creatures/misc/spiders/neoscona.htm
Simply wonderful animals with beautiful webs. Given an undisturbed corner of a garden and a mate she and her offspring could give you years of enjoyment and companionship. A couple of bushes a few feet apart beneath which is where you put your compostables is all they need. A house with a sheltered garden next door to a coffee shop in Arcata California has been a host to a Crucifera population for over 30 years. When the spiders pack it in for the year is the signal to prune the rose bushes they call home.

Last edited: