Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

What orb weaver is this?

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Ztesch, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Ztesch

Ztesch Arachnoknight

Advertisement
    I found this guy in my backyard. Looks rather large and isnt the normal one I usually find. I live near Chicago. Does anyone have a idea what genus/ species this is? Screenshot_20190825-130624.jpg

2. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoking Active Member

CA
    Neoscona sp. maybe N. crucifera.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

The bad hair day of the spider world. Curious. The legs have the coloration of N Arabesca while the body has the generic coloration of a pre penultimate that could be of several species. Another picture from a different angle may better display the typical coloration of a Crucifera.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ztesch

Ztesch Arachnoknight

Thanks. Looks like Crucifera to me.

I think you nailed it. Its a N. Crucifera in deep premolt. Thanks guys for the help.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2019
  5. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

I just happened across an excellent web page on Neoscona: https://entnemdept.ifas.ufl.edu/creatures/misc/spiders/neoscona.htm
    Simply wonderful animals with beautiful webs. Given an undisturbed corner of a garden and a mate she and her offspring could give you years of enjoyment and companionship. A couple of bushes a few feet apart beneath which is where you put your compostables is all they need. A house with a sheltered garden next door to a coffee shop in Arcata California has been a host to a Crucifera population for over 30 years. When the spiders pack it in for the year is the signal to prune the rose bushes they call home.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.