What one tip would you pass on to new T keepers that you almost never hear about here?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
What piece of information do people almost never bring up here that you feel would be useful for new keepers to know?

basin79

ArachnoGod
To be fair I think everything gets covered in here due to the experience of many of the keepers willing to be helpful.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I agree that the basics are pretty well-covered and repeated ad nauseam. What I'm looking for here is something else useful or interesting that you figured out that you don't hear about very often.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I agree that the basics are pretty well-covered and repeated ad nauseam. What I'm looking for here is something else useful or interesting that you figured out that you don't hear about very often.

Maybe don't throw away any clear food containers???

Although not human food I ordered a tub full of fat balls for the wild birds. The tub they came is is now housing my Idiothele mira.

Sling pots I've had come with inverts packed into them I've saved. They're now used in my jumping spider enclosures for hides so they don't web up the lids.

If you keep any species that require damp/wet substrate get springtails. They're invaluable.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
To remember always that E (Ebola) = mc2 and to praise the Goddess!*

The other issues are semantic, sophism, pindaric flights etc things good for 'substrate Scrooge/s' and for those that measure humidity seeking for the perfect number :pompous:

* 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her)

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Three things I think that aren't covered due to skeptics.

•proper handling techniques
•Enclosure can affect temperament.
•Rescues

Even though Handling is not advise, it is still recommend to know how to properly handle tarantulas. You honestly never know what is going to happen and you can't have a new keeper freak out if a T runs up their arm. Yeah sure they might have mistakes for that T to run up their but, hindsight is 20/20. It's like gun safety. Even though you never plan on using a firearm, you shouldn't be ignorant on how to be safe with one.

Having a proper enclosure can affect the mood of the tarantula. If you got a grumpy tarantula it might because of the enclosure. Now, I am not saying there is a wrong or right way just simply understand how a tarantula can react. If the enclosure is smaller or not providing enough hide(s), the tarantula will consider the enclosure itself a burrow. When you open the lid, you are literally ripping the roof off of its house. You would be grouchy too! By providing enough hide(s), substrate, decorations, the tarantula may feel secure enough to burrow or use the hide. Your tarantula is more likely to run and hide rather feel corner and defend itself. The other aspect about enclosure is making sure it is good for the keeper. For new owners, they need to make sure they have enough space to work with it. More experienced people really do not need to worry about this as they know what they are doing.

Finally, rescues... We always condone the behavior after the purchase. We need to stress to newbie that if they are not comfortable with they way the seller is keeping their stock, then do not support the business. Only buy from someone knowledgeable and reputable.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Three things I think that aren't covered due to skeptics.

•proper handling techniques
•Enclosure can affect temperament.
•Rescues

Even though Handling is not advise, it is still recommend to know how to properly handle tarantulas. You honestly never know what is going to happen and you can't have a new keeper freak out if a T runs up their arm. Yeah sure they might have mistakes for that T to run up their but, hindsight is 20/20. It's like gun safety. Even though you never plan on using a firearm, you shouldn't be ignorant on how to be safe with one.

Having a proper enclosure can affect the mood of the tarantula. If you got a grumpy tarantula it might because of the enclosure. Now, I am not saying there is a wrong or right way just simply understand how a tarantula can react. If the enclosure is smaller or not providing enough hide(s), the tarantula will consider the enclosure itself a burrow. When you open the lid, you are literally ripping the roof off of its house. You would be grouchy too! By providing enough hide(s), substrate, decorations, the tarantula may feel secure enough to burrow or use the hide. Your tarantula is more likely to run and hide rather feel corner and defend itself. The other aspect about enclosure is making sure it is good for the keeper. For new owners, they need to make sure they have enough space to work with it. More experienced people really do not need to worry about this as they know what they are doing.

Finally, rescues... We always condone the behavior after the purchase. We need to stress to newbie that if they are not comfortable with they way the seller is keeping their stock, then do not support the business. Only buy from someone knowledgeable and reputable.
Im not sure qhat kind of handling techniques are even possible. It's pretty much completely random.
-if a tarantula runs up your arm, try to get close to the ground to help protect it from a lethal fall. If it's an arboreal, which is likely, this step isn't 100% nessasary.

- don't try to manoeuvre it with your fingers or hand, this might send it into a threat posture and increase your chances of being bit. I'd use a straw and try to get it to move off onto another surface. If it threat postures you're probably screwed.

Situations vary heavily, try not to throw it out of an impulse reaction, and learn from your mistakes.
It's hard to have set rules for handling, there's too many variables.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Be confident when dealing with your spiders, don't be afraid to ask a silly question, as the only silly Q is the one that is not asked!

basin79

ArachnoGod
Take/make records on sheds. A pad and a pen and you can have a visual and to hand information on your T's moulting habits. Not always necessary but it's handy to know regardless.

Buy a good quality soldering iron if you plan on keeping a few inverts from young/at all.

I find a soldering iron far easier, quicker and less messy than a drill for making holes in plastic enclosures.

Timc

Arachnosquire
My advice would be to start slow. It's very easy to fall in love with these animals and buy dozens over the first few months or even weeks as a keeper. I would recommend raising one or two at first for a good long while just to ensure your husbandry techniques work long term. These are creatures that move at a different pace then us, improper care can take time to manifest.

Second, I would suggest (after much experience) finding what you as a keeper like; in all honesty, after my OBT and P. rufilata pass, I doubt if I'll ever get another old world again. I just don't feel like dealing with the speed and attitude anymore. I've found myself to be happy with my brachys, Grammys, avics, GBBs (even though mine is a total pecker) and the like. I guess I'm saying new keepers shouldn't feel any less of a good keeper just because they don't enjoy OWs and more "experienced" species.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Im not sure qhat kind of handling techniques are even possible. It's pretty much completely random.
-if a tarantula runs up your arm, try to get close to the ground to help protect it from a lethal fall. If it's an arboreal, which is likely, this step isn't 100% nessasary.

- don't try to manoeuvre it with your fingers or hand, this might send it into a threat posture and increase your chances of being bit. I'd use a straw and try to get it to move off onto another surface. If it threat postures you're probably screwed.

Situations vary heavily, try not to throw it out of an impulse reaction, and learn from your mistakes.
It's hard to have set rules for handling, there's too many variables.

Way to many variables indeed but, some ground rules should increase the chances of keeping the spider alive or the keeper not bit.

such as slow and precise movements, keeping catch cups and tongs readily available, controlling your environment such turning off the fans or make sure you are in an environment for the T to not dash off into the unknown. Make sure you wear proper clothing...which I have learned the hard way. Etc. This is mostly basic common sense to us but, someone new this is an entire different story.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
My advice would be to start slow. It's very easy to fall in love with these animals and buy dozens over the first few months or even weeks as a keeper. I would recommend raising one or two at first for a good long while just to ensure your husbandry techniques work long term. These are creatures that move at a different pace then us, improper care can take time to manifest.

Second, I would suggest (after much experience) finding what you as a keeper like; in all honesty, after my OBT and P. rufilata pass, I doubt if I'll ever get another old world again. I just don't feel like dealing with the speed and attitude anymore. I've found myself to be happy with my brachys, Grammys, avics, GBBs (even though mine is a total pecker) and the like. I guess I'm saying new keepers shouldn't feel any less of a good keeper just because they don't enjoy OWs and more "experienced" species.

I agree with this sentiment.

I don't think people should be buying so many T's at once when they first get into the hobby. If a tarantula dies or you feel overwhelmed after 6 months, unloading your entire collection is not easy. You are not going to get what you paid for in most cases, most likely you have species that are not in high demand, most keepers would rather use their own enclosures than yours.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Honestly, the vast majority of all things tarantula are only learned from hands on experience. I find that no matter what people tell me I still end up learning it on my own first hand and in a way that I didn't expect by how they suggested or intended their advice. Unfortunately the hobby is very experimental right now but there are conclusions being drawn.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What piece of information do people almost never bring up here that you feel would be useful for new keepers to know?

Few people write what I do... "learn the behavior of your T before collecting them like Skittles"

JJC

Arachnopeon
Something that is often mentioned with care advice but, at least for me, took actually experiencing it to comprehend...When the speed of a T is referenced, it starts at "really freaking fast" and goes up from there. It's really unbelievable how fast these guys can move. Always be prepared for a takeoff....

Timc

Arachnosquire
@JJC i couldn't agree more. The first time my rufilata jumped as a sling, off the table and across the floor (keep in mind this was a LARGE table, more area than I thought could be covered.) I said to myself "ok this is no joke." It's truly w learned skill to deal with that kind of speed.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
@JJC i couldn't agree more. The first time my rufilata jumped as a sling, off the table and across the floor (keep in mind this was a LARGE table, more area than I thought could be covered.) I said to myself "ok this is no joke." It's truly w learned skill to deal with that kind of speed.
It's such an alien concept coming from a human/mammal perspective. A creature that rarely moves except to hunt or build/maintain a den, can possess reflexes and speed that surpass the eyes ability to register. It's really unbelievable...