What non tarantula species do you keep and how many?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Took a bit of inspiration from a current thread in the tarantula chat and thought it'd be fun to ask the same thing here! Photos are always appreciated too, we all love to see and share pictures of our little friends.

I have roughly 215 spiders, a small number of which are tarantulas. Im sure ill probably forget some, but here's as many as I can remember up front.

From the genus Aname:
Sp. Red x2
Sp. SA Gold
Sp. SA black steel 1,2 and 3
Sp. Orange

From the genus Arbanitis:
Sp. Grafton gold x8
Sp. Handorf x2
Sp. Kempsey black
Sp. Nowra yellow x4
Sp. Nowra 2 and 3
Sp. Gundagai
Sp. Orange x3
Sp. Tamborine 1 and 2
Sp. Tamborine "drawbridge" x2
Sp. Flagstone
Sp. Lemon tree passage
Sp. Glen Lomond
Sp. Toowoomba 1
Sp. Burleigh
Sp. 6/robertsi x2
Sp. Bellthorpe
Sp. Maleny
Sp. Wooli x3
Sp. Cumberland Plains
Sp. honeybee x3

From the genus Australothele:
Australothele nambucca x3

From the genus Atrax:
robustus
sutherlandi

From the genus Blakistonia:
Sp. Yellow
Sp. Flinders Ranges 1 x2
Sp. Leaflid x3
Sp. SA 2,3 and 4

From the genus Bymainiella:
Sp. Coramba
Sp. Gibraltar

From the genus Cataxia:
pulleinei x 6
Sp. 1
Sp. 2
Sp. Gibraltar x2
Sp. Maleny
Sp. Wilson's Promontory

From the genus Cethegus:
Sp. Woomba x4

From the genus Euoplos:
variabilis x3
regalis
grandis
thynnearum
turrificus x2
Sp. Nangur
Sp. Nebo

From the genus Hadronyche:
valida x2
sp. Tamborine 2 x2
versuta
macquariensis x2
cerberea x2
infensa
marracoonda
nimoola

From the genus Idiosoma:
Sp. Burra 1,2 and 3, about 2 each
Sp. Black
Sp. Wagga Wagga
Sp. 1

From the genus Idiommata:
Sp. silverback/electric blue

From the genus Ixamatus:
Sp. 1 x3

From the genus Mandjellia:
commoni 4

From the genus Missulena:
bradleyi x3
occatoria x2

From the genus Namea:
Cf. flavomaculata x3
Cf. dahmsi
Sp. Tamborine 2

From the genus Ozicrypta:
reticulata x2

From the genus Paraembolides:
Sp. Coramba
Sp. Newcastle x3

From the genus Teranodes:
Sp. Tarra Valley

From the genus Teyloides:
Sp. "cerulea"
Sp. Flinders Ranges
sp. 1

From the genus Seqocrypta:
jakara x2

From the genus Sason:
colemani x2

From the genus Stanwellia:
grisea
Sp. Wonthaggi 1 x4
Sp. Tarra Valley
Sp. Philip Island x2
Cf. inornata
Sp. Bago
Sp. Hall's Gap 2 (x4) and 3
Sp. Maragle x3

From the genus Xamiatus:
rubifrons x2

I have heaps more but looks like I'll have to add them later along with some photos. I'm keen hear what everyone else has!

Last edited:

Scp682

Arachnoknight
I really like non t mygos i prefer them especially the chubby clumsy australian species like the funnel webs and mouse spiders. Something about the chubby glossy black look i absolutely love. Unfortunately they're super hard/impossible to get here except a few linothele species are getting more popular but i haven't gotten one since they're expensive and don't live long plus they're on the spicy side. there are a few native species here but i have yet to encounter any. I've kept thomisids, salticids, oxyopids, lycosids, latrodectus, sparassids and several other true spiders (mostly native wc expect for the huntsman spiders and a few orb weavers i got in key west) and i think they're great but i have none as of now because at this point if I'm going to put time, money, resources and space into an animal I'd rather get more lifespan out of it. I really want to get eresids/velvet spiders but again they're hard to get and I'm not in that big a hurry to file bankruptcy. So as of now i have zero but that's just now. Again I'm trying to cut back on short lived and resource hungry animals because i have reptiles as well.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Migidae sp. "Madagascar" (imported as Thyropoeus mirandus)
Aptostichus stanfordianus
Cyclocosmia torreya

Maybe a small Apomastus kristenae (I haven't seen it since I got it but the webbing around its hole looks to still be in good shape...?).

The first two I am only keeping because A) I acquired them in a trade from a non-collector, so it's not incentivizing further collection of either species (the Madagascan Migidae are in a lot of trouble), and B) I know the person who collected the stanfordianus, he is a really responsible fellow who has actually reintroduced Aptostichus to areas destroyed by fires (or so I hear).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Migidae sp. "Madagascar" (imported as Thyropoeus mirandus)
Aptostichus stanfordianus
Cyclocosmia torreya

Maybe a small Apomastus kristenae (I haven't seen it since I got it but the webbing around its hole looks to still be in good shape...?).

The first two I am only keeping because A) I acquired them in a trade from a non-collector, so it's not incentivizing further collection of either species (the Madagascan Migidae are in a lot of trouble), and B) I know the person who collected the stanfordianus, he is a really responsible fellow who has actually reintroduced Aptostichus to areas destroyed by fires (or so I hear).

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Any plans on breeding the madagascar sp?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
That's the plan. Unfortunately I cannot find anyone else with a specimen.
Really with any non-tarantula mygalomorph the plan should always be to breed them, they are so often slow-growing and/or threatened we can't afford to buy them as trophy pets or "just cause" they are trapdoors and are cool. That's true regardless of whether we have Cyclocosmia or a Migidae or a Myrmekiaphilia.

I talked with Dr. Jason Bond at one of the Invertebrate Club of Southern California meetings, and he expressed absolute horror that Madagascan (and many other species besides) migids were being sold as pets due to how threatened they are in the wild. With that in mind, the only way I could justify acquiring the Migidae and the Aptostichus is with what I already knew of their collection/knowledge that I wouldn't be incentivizing further collection (Cyclocosmia don't seem to be as threatened).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
That's the plan. Unfortunately I cannot find anyone else with a specimen.
I'm amazed, I only know one other person on the planet with a Migidae, I've located our nearest species but haven't been able to get any yet. I imagine breeding would also be quite a pain with them, usually those types of spiders are that way. A shame about the over collection though. Any photos of it?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
No photos of my own, it's a fairly recent acquisition and I've only seen the tips of its legs. These are all photos of either the specimen I acquired (pictures from the previous owner) or from one of the vendors that offered this species after it was imported. They sold pretty quick, but I imagine none went to people who wanted to breed them/those that did have died off.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
No photos of my own, it's a fairly recent acquisition and I've only seen the tips of its legs. These are all photos of either the specimen I acquired (pictures from the previous owner) or from one of the vendors that offered this species after it was imported. They sold pretty quick, but I imagine none went to people who wanted to breed them/those that did have died off.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
That thing is huge for a migid! What a beauty! Is this one arboreal like the others I know?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Not that I know of. It's made a burrow in about eight inches of coco coir and sphagnum moss (wondering how I should go about changing the substrate without necessarily uprooting it entirely), and I can't find anything on where it was collected from or what microhabitat it might live in.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Not that I know of. It's made a burrow in about eight inches of coco coir and sphagnum moss (wondering how I should go about changing the substrate without necessarily uprooting it entirely), and I can't find anything on where it was collected from or what microhabitat it might live in.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Just my personal observation, those kind of traps with the stocky build and thick legs are nearly always clay dwellers. Even in cases where most species in a genus are slender, the few that live in clay are robust like that. I reckon thats probably what it will be happiest in.
Nonetheless, incredible acquisition

Last edited:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
That was already a given in my mind, hence why I thought out loud so to speak with trying to figure out how to switch the substrates without digging it up.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
At first my envy kicks in. Then I'm like, man that must be tough caring for that many species. Then I realize I have like 200 thousand roaches of multiple species I have to feed like 30 pounds of fruit a day. I need to get more spiders.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
Took a bit of inspiration from a current thread in the tarantula chat and thought it'd be fun to ask the same thing here! Photos are always appreciated too, we all love to see and share pictures of our little friends.

I have roughly 215 spiders, a small number of which are tarantulas. Im sure ill probably forget some, but here's as many as I can remember up front.

From the genus Aname:
Sp. Red x2
Sp. SA Gold
Sp. SA black steel 1,2 and 3
Sp. Orange

From the genus Arbanitis:
Sp. Grafton gold x8
Sp. Handorf x2
Sp. Kempsey black
Sp. Nowra yellow x4
Sp. Nowra 2 and 3
Sp. Gundagai
Sp. Orange x3
Sp. Tamborine 1 and 2
Sp. Tamborine "drawbridge" x2
Sp. Flagstone
Sp. Lemon tree passage
Sp. Glen Lomond
Sp. Toowoomba 1
Sp. Burleigh
Sp. 6/robertsi x2
Sp. Bellthorpe
Sp. Maleny
Sp. Wooli x3
Sp. Cumberland Plains
Sp. honeybee x3

From the genus Australothele:
Australothele nambucca x3

From the genus Atrax:
robustus
sutherlandi

From the genus Blakistonia:
Sp. Yellow
Sp. Flinders Ranges 1 x2
Sp. Leaflid x3
Sp. SA 2,3 and 4

From the genus Bymainiella:
Sp. Coramba
Sp. Gibraltar

From the genus Cataxia:
pulleinei x 6
Sp. 1
Sp. 2
Sp. Gibraltar x2
Sp. Maleny
Sp. Wilson's Promontory

From the genus Cethegus:
Sp. Woomba x4

From the genus Euoplos:
variabilis x3
regalis
grandis
thynnearum
turrificus x2
Sp. Nangur
Sp. Nebo

From the genus Hadronyche:
valida x2
sp. Tamborine 2 x2
versuta
macquariensis x2
cerberea x2
infensa
marracoonda
nimoola

From the genus Idiosoma:
Sp. Burra 1,2 and 3, about 2 each
Sp. Black
Sp. Wagga Wagga
Sp. 1

From the genus Idiommata:
Sp. silverback/electric blue

From the genus Ixamatus:
Sp. 1 x3

From the genus Mandjellia:
commoni 4

From the genus Missulena:
bradleyi x3
occatoria x2

From the genus Namea:
Cf. flavomaculata x3
Cf. dahmsi
Sp. Tamborine 2

From the genus Ozicrypta:
reticulata x2

From the genus Paraembolides:
Sp. Coramba
Sp. Newcastle x3

From the genus Teranodes:
Sp. Tarra Valley

From the genus Teyloides:
Sp. "cerulea"
Sp. Flinders Ranges
sp. 1

From the genus Seqocrypta:
jakara x2

From the genus Sason:
colemani x2

From the genus Stanwellia:
grisea
Sp. Wonthaggi 1 x4
Sp. Tarra Valley
Sp. Philip Island x2
Cf. inornata
Sp. Bago
Sp. Hall's Gap 2 (x4) and 3
Sp. Maragle x3

From the genus Xamiatus:
rubifrons x2

I have heaps more but looks like I'll have to add them later along with some photos. I'm keen hear what everyone else has!
Blattodea
Blaptica dubia
Blatta lateralis
Elliptorhina javanica
Gromphadorhina oblongonota pure
Gromphadorhina portentosa hybrid

Collembola
Collembola sp.
Sinella curviseta

Isopoda
Porcellio laevis dairy cow
Porcellio scaber lottery
Trichorhina tomentosa

Tarantulas for now, but I’d like to expand to other arachnids and plants after grad school. Cool list :)

Hi all
The only non Tarantula I keep is this little lady.
20210408_113004.jpg
It is a native to UK spider I found in my living room and saved from my cats.
She is housed in 16oz deli cup.Not sure on species.Thinking Amaurobius similis (Lace web(weaver) spider).She is a great hunter,eats very well and dropped an egg sack with me too but I pulled it and left in in hedge outside.
Regards Konstantin

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Hi all
The only non Tarantula I keep is this little lady.
View attachment 382132
It is a native to UK spider I found in my living room and saved from my cats.
She is housed in 16oz deli cup.Not sure on species.Thinking Amaurobius similis (Lace web(weaver) spider).She is a great hunter,eats very well and dropped an egg sack with me too but I pulled it and left in in hedge outside.
Regards Konstantin
Always cool having local species, you have the best sense of how to recreate their environment