What Next?

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
I've used the search function, read the material, ate a bunch of Pita Puffs, and know I'm just turning to all of you. What should be my 5th T? I want a T that won't be hidden, is not an OW, is less than $90 for 3in.+, looks pretty, and is not L. Paryhabana(sp?) or Pulchripes(Pulchripes aren't pretty). I already have 2 Versicolors, a Pulchra, and a C. Fimbriatus(long story). Any idea of which tarantula to get next? Right now, the only suggestion has been A. Metallica.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
For the eleventy-ninth gazillion time...........Acanthoscurria geniculata! ;)

(Well, it seems like I've sent that reply to various threads that many times)

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire
Go to the classified section, click on the 16th FS ad and buy the 3rd advertised T.

Haven't been to the classified section so I have no idea where I'm sending you :p

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Sounds like you're in the market for some Brachys
I couldn't agree more. I've been kind of [w]ussy about the urticating hairs, but it's not much of a problem...which one of the Brachys flicks least?

Chris_Skeleton, honestly, you're the one who has problems for acting like such a child ;) .

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I couldn't agree more. I've been kind of [w]ussy about the urticating hairs, but it's not much of a problem...which one of the Brachys flicks least?

Chris_Skeleton, honestly, you're the one who has problems for acting like such a child ;) .
Well since you won't settle for G. pulchripes, let me recommend B. albopilosum. The two my girlfriend and I have are great. They are extremely docile and rarely kick hairs. And from what I have read they kick the least, but they are the only Brachy I have experience with.

I don't see how I was acting like a child, just recommending an AWESOME spider :rolleyes: Just get one, you'll grow to love it :D

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Well since you won't settle for G. pulchripes, let me recommend B. albopilosum. The two my girlfriend and I have are great. They are extremely docile and rarely kick hairs. And from what I have read they kick the least, but they are the only Brachy I have experience with.

I don't see how I was acting like a child, just recommending an AWESOME spider :rolleyes: Just get one, you'll grow to love it :D
Pulchripes it is :)

KevinFrancisco

Arachnopeon
For the eleventy-ninth gazillion time...........Acanthoscurria geniculata! ;)

(Well, it seems like I've sent that reply to various threads that many times)
I'm gonna have to agree with Terry. GENICULATA! They look really awesome and they grow up really fast. Intense predator too! I'm having fun feeding my Genic. {D

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nhandu's should not be overlooked. They grow much more quickly than Brachy's or Grammies or Aphono's. A N. chromatus is very pretty but they hide a lot. N. coloratovilossus stay out in the open more and can get up to 8"+. They have quite an attitude but can still be fairly easy to control. Unlike OBT's, H. macs, etc. they aren't that likely to scamper out of the cage when threatened. They just hold their ground and slap the floor and drip venom at you... FUN!

N. vulpinus is out there too but they can be a bit harder to find and will cost a good bit more. They are gorgeous though.

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
brachypelma vagans should solve all of your problems
if not vagans, nhandu, lasiodora difficilis, or phamobeteus sp.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
for shame, seriously. what's not to love about pulchripes? just because they aren't as striking as some Ts, they make up for it in pretty much every other area and will be in your price limit for a sexed female :D

i also second vagans for a brachy, from what i've gathered they seem to not give as strong u-hair reactions like smithi and boehmei. mine is a holy terror, but plenty people have posted about their docile ones.

Sutekh

Arachnopeon
I understand the OP's reluctance about G. pulchripes: I was the same way until I got a sweet deal on one! Now I can't stop looking at her!
Lots of good suggestions you've gotten here (personally, Nhandu chromatus is probably my all time fave...and the two I've had are always out in the open.) But a new world arboreal to consider would be P. irminia (you might just be able to get a 3" female for $90). Get a living jack-o'-lantern for Halloween! lol

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
I'm not really a Pokie guy. I am completely responsible of all of my Ts and I'm in middle school, so...yeah, not a great pair. The chilbrachys I have was a freebie (best freebie ever, though!).

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
P irminia (in this case the P is for Psalmopoeus) is not a Pokie at all, it is a NW arborial, called Venezulan suntiger. I have two, as well as P cambridgei. Both species are excellent display spiders, though I think P cambridgei has a slight edge.

P irminia

http://giantspiders.com/irminia.jpg

P cambridgei

http://www.spidy.goliathus.com/foto/0412_p_cambridgei.jpg - out in the open more, doesn't dig as much as suntiger, slightly mellower, IMO

Also, why not C cyanopubescens? Green bottle blue (GBB). A must have, really. Fills all your requirements, except you may have to get a slightly smaller sling for the price, unless you shop around. I think mine was 0.75" for $40. This species grows fast, is very hardy, eats well, not particularly aggressive (though skittish, so best for display only). GBB is nice sized - big but not huge. Awesome colors, attractive webbing, changes colors from sling to adult. A spectacular T.

full body shot, reasonable sized pic:

http://www.bighairyspiders.com/pix/speck14.jpg

While Nhandu is a great genus of terrestrials, mine (still small) burrows and is hardly ever out.

EDIT: I did not realize that it is not permitted to post images from other web sites. I am hoping that posting a link to the website is not a violation. If the links can't stay, then google images of these Ts.

Last edited: